1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ainsworth to QPR rumours start again

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Blue_Slasher, May 8, 2018.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Targets have to be set otherwise there is nothing to aim at. HOWEVER, targets have to be achievable. If the target is achieved and it seems possible to go further then it's Ok to set another achievable target. Setting unrealistic targets is unhealthy and will simply cause despair as it is quickly realised that failure is looming. Seeing yourself getting closer and closer to your target is self motivating. That's one of the many reasons I like Gareth; he is realistic and knows how to motivate his team. He also won't keep anyone who is too big for their boots and think they are too good for the club.

2. Cardiff-Wycombe

Cardiff-Wycombe Well-Known Member

In addition I don’t like the fans saying we should go for Neymar/Bale/Messi etc as if all they have to do is put in an offer and they will come running. Why would Bale leave the champions league winners in sunny Madrid on loads of money to go to Man Utd and play in the Europa league. There are other clubs who are a lot more attractive to players just cause you are Man Utd it doesn’t mean you can get everyone.

Rocky blue army likes this.
  3. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

The one appointment I would like arsenal to make is mark Hughes as manager he is bound to feck them up <laugh>. As greeny stated it's always the same manager merry-go-round every season in the top 2 leagues there are plenty of managers in the lower leagues and players come to that who would do a very good job in the championship and premiership who never get a chance.look what dyche has done at Burnley and we all knew alfie mawson was too good for the 2nd division but these are exceptions to the rule .

4. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

Just caught up with the recent posts after my one about McClaren. I live in Southampton & agree with Greeny they seem to think they have a god given right to be in the Premier league even when we played them in league 1 over two games they beat us 1-0. What none of the supporters can see is that anyone who finished seventh & below this season could be them next season. Lets be honest the managers like Alladyce will be in job by Christmas he will be able to go in name is own price as well.

5. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

You only have to look at Marco Silva. Now being touted as the number one target for Everton.
    Did ok with Hull, but didn't save them. Got fired from Watford after initially being courted by Everton (pre Allardyce) and then lost something like 9 of his last 12 games there
    Now more than likely to get the Everton job with a shed load of money to spend and no real success on his cv

I would imagine there would be mutiny if someone like Ainsworth was considered for a Premier League Managers job. Seriously though, why couldn't he be the next Dyche or Pochettino. He obviously has the man management skills to bring that team ethic out.

6. philhythe

Paul Lambert has left Stoke & David Moyes is favourite to get the job the merry go round continues

7. philhythe

McClaren got the job

8. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Anyone on here remember Paul Sturrock the first time around at Argyle? We were second from bottom of league 2 when he joined. We went on to gain automatic promotion to league one with record points. We went a season in league one with a reasonable finish and then automatic promotion the following season to the Championship. It was the best 3 years I can remember in a very very long time. Not surprising although very disappointing for us he was looked at by a Premiership club. He deserved to be given his record of finding wee nuggets as he called them for virtually nothing and blending them into champions. The team he went to at that time was Southampton.

He lasted a few months and then got the elbow. You would think it would be because he lost a load of games and they were falling apart wouldn't you. The truth was he had a very respectable record for the games played. The reason he was elbowed was that the players, those very special super duper premiership ones, didn't like his methods and weren't happy with him being there. I mean never mind his success as a manager but who was this upstart wannabe who nobody had heard of. He was in fact an ex Scottish international who had played in a world cup. He was on the same course as Jose M when he got his coaching badges and had the highest ones you can get. He knew Alex Ferguson very well. But he wasn't a fancy manager with a foreign name or one of the merry-go-round few. Thing is I could manage Man City with no experience at all with the players they can afford. They know how to play and how to train and I would have to just turn up on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday (this is the Prem so you never know what day) and sit on the bench. I wonder if the present incumbent could have gotten Accrington promoted as champions of their budget.

9. philhythe

I do remember Sturrock did'nt he go back to Plymouth for another spell. The present manager surely somebody above must be looking at is Paul Cook promoted from league 2 & league 1 play-offs, promoted again from league 2 with Pompey & now promoted from league 1 with Wigan. I work with two season ticket holders from Pompey & the best they could say about him was thank you now f### off

10. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He did indeed come back philhythe but sadly we were on the skids and skint at the time. I don't think god himself could have done much at that time. I am not surprised at the Pompey reaction to be honest. Cook though isn't the only manager in the depths to have done an amazing job.

11. philhythe

On an earlier blog I see Ainsworth is now the second longest serving manager in the four divisons after JIm Bentley at Morecambe