1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Advice needed

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Aug 12, 2020.

1. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Posting after the fact but Oddy, you know that you can expect the cynical, pessimistic, negative angle from me.

The first thing I would have asked (or that you should have asked yourself) is are you just being paid off cash in the bank? I know somebody that used to work for one of the big banks and when they were offered permanent gardening leave, part of the pay off was shares in the bank. That seemed fine until six months later when their £20 each shares took a 75 per cent fall in the financial crash and they had not dispensed with them. About a third of their redundancy package disappeared on a vertical line on a stock price graph.

If you were in the UK, I would say stay at the job you have got because I have been reading today about a guy who advertised a part-time job and got 800 applications. Of course, walking away from the aviation industry while they are prepared to offer something could be a smart move if they subsequently get into a situation of having to push people out because no-one is flying.

Good luck.

2. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I took voluntary redundancy, aged 51, in 2012. Very nearly bottled it, but I actively hated that job, the stress was becoming unbearable.

I got a lump sum equivalent to two years salary, which gave me a huge buzz when I saw my bank statement after that went in. It soon goes though. I found work pretty quickly, but it took me three years to find a job I was happy in.

I’m earning a fair bit less than I was 8 years ago, but I’m 100% happier. I’ll have a little less money in retirement than would have been the case if I’d carried on paying in to my old employer’s Final Salary scheme til 60, but I will have enough to pay the bills, and money really isn’t everything. I’ve got no regrets, none. But there were times before I got my current job, when I did wonder if I’d done the right thing.

Sounds like you’ve made your decision anyway, so good luck.

Incidentally; I do believe it’s the things you don’t do, that you regret in later life, not the things you do.

Ron, smokethedeadbadger and rudebwoy like this.
  3. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Thanks QM and Archers. The whole company pension thing in Germany is virtually non-existent, you build up your state pension and make private investments to add to that. I’m happy with the move I have made and feel confident I will get a good job again soon. I’ll keep the forum updated <ok>

4. Janabelle13

Janabelle13 Well-Known Member

Good luck with the job hunting. I hope everything works out for you.

It took me the best part of 5 months of searching and applying for roles, interviews etc to get confirmed in a new job. I was made redundant at the end of February (MP lost in the GE in December), got a new job mid March but was laid off after a couple of weeks as did not qualify for the furlough scheme. They did say that they would take myself and 3 others in the same situation back but I saw no point in waiting. As it turns out I've had no further communication from the company since April! Anyway in 10 days I start a new job. Okay I'm back to train commuting but I'm going to be back working. Funnily enough I used to work in another office about 100 yards away from the new one!

Ron, smokethedeadbadger and rudebwoy like this.
  5. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Nice one and best of luck

6. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

I’ve been in and out of work all my life , with seven years at sea to start off , new ships every time , different places , real adventure for a single fella !
    Came ashore during the malvinas dispute, re trained as a joiner , been working ever since in building industry , civil engineering jobs ( large concrete structures) , house building , shop fitting , building maintenance, worked for housing association for 8 years , longest i’ve ever worked in one place , eventually it turned sour , got sacked thankfully , and back doing civil engineering.
    Never regretted anything i’ve done , including being sacked , walking off jobs or refusing some jobs on principle .
    Always got by , even on benefits , with no other income , just cut my cloth .....my point being , there’s a big old world out there , enjoy it as much as you can .
    I won’t officially retire for another five years , got two small occupational pensions plus state one , ive a plan to top up my income with some indoor gardening.......cash crop ,just to provide a little extra !<laugh>