1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Adios big Mick.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He's leaving the binners in summer when his contract expires.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43466145

"McCarthy said: “I had a good discussion with Marcus and we feel this is the right thing to do for me and for Ipswich Town. I have loved my time here and I am proud of what I have achieved over the last six years – and the relationship I have enjoyed with the players and all the staff at the club in that time." :emoticon-0112-wonde

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  2. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

He missed someone out of the list of enjoyable relationships.......the fan! I guess this has to be a be careful what you wish for, I would argue that on the resources afforded him, avoiding relegation and making the playoffs once have been quite a decent achievement,

Bah!

JM Fan likes this.
  3. woodbine

woodbine Well-Known Member

To be fair he did a great job with what little he had, won't be long before he's at another club.

4. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

Carrow Rd?????:emoticon-0130-devil:emoticon-0158-time:

5. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

You could do a hell of a lot worse. He clearly has his faults, but I suspect he'll get himself a decent job with a few quid to spend and be back in the Premier League before both of our clubs are :bandit:

Most likely sealing promotion at Portman Road before standing in the centre circle and Bellowing out a guttural "**** Off" to all corners of the ground

6. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've always had the impression that Mick was still over-achieving given the budget and players available to him - is this still believed south of the border? I would personally be worried that a very "Mick squad" might be a challenge for anyone new to mould into anything better without investment.

Westlake33 likes this.
  7. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

He might well get a club promoted but the journey won’t be as enjoyable as it should be.

8. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Strangely we probably have some of the least 'Mick' players we've had since he's been with us. Unfortunately for him, they've all been injured. Which has led him to being so bloody boring as just 1 or 2 injuries let alone 5 or 6 leaves us woefully short in some areas and Mick has had to tighten us up to the extreme of not offering much (if anything) in attacking threat.

As with any club, some of our players could really benefit from a new manger, particularly our youngsters who have been very impressive in a good footballing U23 side (Complete opposite to how our Senior side plays) and have looked half decent in the 1st team when called upon. Some of the older guys will not have known anything but Mick for best part of 5 years so they may struggle and/or leave.

As for 'overachieving' I have to agree, up until the last 18 - 24 months anyway. Last season saw some of the most painful football I've ever seen and our lowest league position for best past of 60 years would have seen most managers get the boot. Unfortunately for Mick he wasn't able to right that enough this season and reverted back to some very pragmatic habits (though mostly injury enforced) and for most, too much water had gone under the bridge for him to turn things around.

As for the squad, we have the same issue year on year. A decent squad that is too heavily reliant on 1 or 2 players for creativity and they inevitably get injured and we have no depth in the squad. McGoldrick (x5), Bishop, Fraser, Murphy, Huws, Dozzell have all suffered injuries and we've fallen apart massively without any sort of suitable replacement, so I would expect us to have the same issue next season (although McGoldrick will likely be leaving us this summer)

DHCanary likes this.
  9. JediCanary

JediCanary Well-Known Member

One name being mentioned on Anglia News as his successor is the former England manager Steve McClaren aka "The Wally with the Brolly"

JM Fan likes this.
  10. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I can't imagine Evans thinking he will have enough transfer funds to attract him, McClaren whilst damaged goods must like any manager see a broken club likely to only go one way! The only chance they've got is to identify the next up n comer who might inspire some sort of improvement, even if that is just, playing watchable football to stay in midtable.

Bah!

11. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

As I have said many time before Mick has been class for them, and they don't deserve him. I would love McClaren to be appointed. Properly tank them into the ground!

12. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Hi FML, disappointed you couldn't make Saturday.

We won't fall out but are you seriously calling Mick a class act? It certainly explains why you complain about our style of proper passing football>

13. Forgot_My_Lines

Ipswich would be in league 1 without him. He’s had nothing to work with, at all. Despite the silence from Evans, no money from Evans and constant hate from the fans, not only has he stopped them being relegated, but he’s made a couple of play off promotions bids. I say again, he is better than Ipswich deserve.

I also never said he was a class act. He's been a sh*t, which has been hilarious. He's been class for that rubbish club with no help from anyone who should be helping him. He's taken everything on his own back, and still got results.

As for linking to my views on that, to on us, nothing to do with anything. Totally different situations. but I think our football is and dull and negative as theirs. And they are still above us in the league.

Also "proper passing football" leads to end product. We don't play "proper passing football".

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  14. canary-dave

As I said FML, we're not going to fall out over this, I don't agree with your assessment of Mick and Terry, as for proper passing football leading to an end product, Man City, Barcelona, PSG, Real Madrid and many others play proper passing football, when any two of them meet in a match, they can't both win can they?

I was at the match on Friday and saw us play some good attractive football, we had several good attempts on goal blocked by some excellent defending. I'm so happy that I was there because normally I have to rely on other's accounts of the game. We played very well but were defeated by a better team. End of! <cheers>

Bure budgie likes this.
  15. Forgot_My_Lines

Oh right. You are just talking about the Fulham loss. I thought you were talking about the team.

16. canary-dave

Are you saying the performance on Friday was out of character?

17. JediCanary

JediCanary Well-Known Member

Fulham are the In-form team at the moment, not many teams have beaten them on the run they are on. I can see them going up with Wolves and either Villa or Cardiff winning the play-off Final. Think if we can keep Leitner when his loan deal ends & buy the right players in the summer, we have a strong chance of challenging for the play-offs next season.

canary-dave likes this.
  18. Forgot_My_Lines

Yep, I said that about Fulham before and after the game on the MDT. :emoticon-0148-yes:

19. Forgot_My_Lines

Nope. We lost and didn’t score.

:emoticon-0105-wink:

20. canary-dave

I was referring to our style of play!