1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Addicks v Gobbo’s Motley Crew

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Oct 23, 2018.

1. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

I'm going to bed in a minute.

2. pulled off at halftime

pulled off at halftime Active Member

Non fan

3. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Yeah, those who worried about Charlton on a tuesday after a fine win were right to do so. Following the updates, the draw sounded about right. Poor result by any criteria.

4. The Elfsborg Sparrow

<doh>

5. pulled off at halftime

You are Still the only charlton fan I have ever seen celebrate the oppo scoring .. Northampton away ...

6. pulled off at halftime

I want to forgive u Earnie but it’s just so hard , I need to tap into my part time Buddhism

7. The Elfsborg Sparrow

:bandit:

8. The Elfsborg Sparrow

Good point tonight big bum, Oxford are four games unbeaten.

9. The Elfsborg Sparrow

"Big fat Karl is a football genius"

10. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

Disappointing draw after a promising first half.

Oxford came out looking brighter after the break, presumably after a rocket from Gobbo. Fair enough I thought, they were bound to play better for a short spell at some point in the game. So I waited for Charlton to take back control. And waited. And waited...
    Robinson's men had offered so little in the first 45 I thought there was no way we were going to throw away points. Yet Charlton seemed to lose their edge - still beginning promising looking attacks down the right, but never quite applying the killer finish. And Oxford's forays forward gradually became more dangerous.

A point was all we deserved. But three were there for the taking.

11. Whats up Doc

Whats up Doc Well-Known Member

Second half absolutely dreadful, created zero, literally zero, no winner was coming everyone knew that, pains me to say it but probably the game I wanted to win most this season, I fvcking hate that fat piece of scouse sh!t. Oxford reallt offwrwe nothing, be surprised if they stay up, which doesn’t say much for us. Attendance and atmosphere surprisingly alright. Fvck off Roland and fvck off and die Karl Robinson

12. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Results like last night's are why we won't get promoted yet again this season.

You really do have to beat the likes of Oxford at home.

ForestHillBilly and lardiman like this.
  13. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Regarding the atmosphere - it was noisy and positive all through the first half, and started well enough after half time.
    But once Oxford scored the covered end lost much of its voice, and the handful of Oxford fans even began to taunt us after a while.

I know it has ever been thus at Charlton, but the performance on the pitch leads the mood of the crowd - never the other way round.
    There are some Clubs where the home fans would sing up to lift the spirits of their team if it was struggling. Yesterday our fans in the North stand failed to do that.
    Granted it is not their responsibility alone. I sit in the lower West and I accept we have a poor record for backing the team with our voices.

But I do wonder if the somewhat brittle relationship between the fans and the team (influenced by the total lack of relationship between Charlton fans and the RD regime) means that many are happy to back the lads on the pitch when they are playing well, but have little tolerance nowadays for a poor performance - especially a poor second half showing after a decent first half.

14. User deleted as requested

Good last paragraph Lardi.

I fear for the future of this club if this carries on for much longer.

I see no way we are going to get out of this p1ss hole league as things stand.

ForestHillBilly likes this.
  15. The Elfsborg Sparrow

We'll get out of it eventually, downwards.

16. User deleted as requested

History is repeating itself, again.

The top clubs are nothing more than consistent but are pulling miles clear of us (4 wins ...)

We are already playing catch up ....soon The Apologists will be claiming 6th place is the target again like it was last season and the one before ....

17. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Only a few years ago there would have been 10,000+ home fans at the Valley, even for a midweek game in the 3rd tier.
    Yesterday there were no more than 6,000 and I was surprised there were that many.

Unlike some others I don't blame that pitiful attendance figure on fellow supporters.
    Charlton fans have not suddenly changed in the last five years after loving and supporting CAFC all their lives. They have reacted to the hostile policies, arrogance and incompetence of an owner who has never had the Club's best interests at heart, or given a damn about the consequences of his crackpot social experiment.
    Every supporter has to act as their own conscience guides them. I know many continue to travel long distances on our crap transport network to get behind the team at away games.

Barnsley was a decent win. But if our team is unable to beat the likes of Oxford or Coventry City at the Valley then Charlton will not be in the play-off mix come May next year. And that will be down to the pitiful scraps that Lee Bowyer has been given to work with, not because many Charlton fans won't happy-clap and pretend nothing is wrong.

ForestHillBilly likes this.
  18. User deleted as requested

Bowyer could still be getting more consistency out of these players iMO.

I look at the likes of Coventry & Barnsley & Accrington and none of them have players you would want here. It must come down to something else.

With the Aussie timewaster Deal now officially dead, the clock is running down on 80% of this squad’s contracts. What happens then?

19. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Most likely relegation to League Two in season 2019-20.

If some of our almost-out-of-contract players are sold off in January, what motivation will remain for Lyle Taylor and the half dozen other players with 2020 contracts to continue giving everything for the shirt? Why would they not want to get away in the summer next year rather than be a part of a decimated squad sliding into the 4th tier?
    If our already struggling squad is weakened in January, I would not blame Bowyer for wanting out either.

20. User deleted as requested

Lyle Taylor can definitely play at Championship level and he’s a player I only see us having for one season, regardless. Imperative that we go up this season for all sorts of reasons ...you only have to look at all the Charlton social media this morning to read the widespread and growing disillusionment & apathy.