1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Accrington Stanley

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Will officially be competing in the same league as us next season. This is a harsh reality check of how far our club has fallen in the last 2years.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  2. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

I can't watch that, their accents do my head in. It is what it is as far as I'm concerned, we've been here before and more than likely this is as far as we'll fall so the only way is up, now. We might stagnate for a season or two down there while the takeover happens, but we'll be back.

Football changes all the time. The conference division is full of ex league football clubs, Tranmere, they were pushing hard for the premier league a few seasons in the 90's. At least twice they finished in the playoffs. Hartlepool, Leyton Orient, Torquay, Wrexham, Halifax, Macclesfield, Aldershot. So I'm not bothered about playing Accrington, this is probably as high as they'll go.

3. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Some canny seaside fixtures next season. May have to do a trip to Blackpool.

SAFCDRUM likes this.
  4. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

What a time to be alive eh?

5. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Oxford Utd
    1985/86 Top flight win league cup John Aldridge top scorer 31 goals
    2006/7 conference
    There’s hope for us
    I hope

6. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

Its not just Accrington Stanley is it (good luck to them by the way) but looking at some fixtures ....Oxford, Wimbledon, Fleetwood FFS.......Its a disaster, never thought I would ever see my club in this state again. Sad thing is, unlike last time we went down I think its less than a 50% chance that we will come straight back up again. If ever a club needed new owners with new brave ideas, ambition, and more importantly a cheque book, its us.

7. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

We definitely do need new owners but we have to hope that it's someone serious, with a proper plan. We can't afford another one like Ellis with no clue about the game and the idea that things can be done on the cheap. That 'consortium of local businessmen' that has been mentioned doesn't fill with me confidence. If Ellis sells to just anyone, we could be staring down the barrel of League 1 for a long time. Just look at those loveable scamps at Coventry- 30 odd years consistently in the top tier and now fallen into obscurity (ha!).

8. Brian Storm

We'll walk league one mate. Shame on us if we don't it's a poor league.

9. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Didn't someone, or maybe even a few on here say the same thing about the Championship?

10. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

My worry is, we will have yet another overhaul of playing staff, the actual vibe around the club is of total negativity, as I said in my earlier post...unless we get the impetus of an ambitious new owner who can take the fans with him (much like Drumaville) I will stick with my prediction...no more than a 50% chance, the club, the town and fans are just flat.

11. Teessidemackem

Hearing Danny Graham is one of the leagues Top scorers and Southend have a defensive combo of Anto Ferdinand and Turner fills me with alot of hope.

Burly Hurley likes this.
  12. Burly Hurley

I still retain some hope that there'll be a change of ownership this summer.

There's a deal to be done out there.

Tbh, I'm surprised that Fulwell73 didn't come back to the table.

It's a sad state of affairs though when Barnsley is seen as a better investment than us.

Gil T Azell likes this.
  13. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

He's just made the League one team of the year. Christ.

14. Teessidemackem

I rest my case.<laugh>

15. Brian Storm

Yeah but I didn't. Championship is a tough league to get out of, said it the whole time.

The Standard is much poorer in league one.

2014/15 Millwall, Blackpool & Wigan Relagated, next season Wigan finished 1st, Millwall 4th and Blackpool relegated again.
    2015/16 Charllton, MK Dons and Bolton go down, next season Bolton finish 2nd while the other finish comfy mid table.
    2016/17 Blackburn Rotherham and Wigan went down, this season Blackburn and wigan are already promoted and Rotherham are in the play offs.

Recent years has seen the standard between Champ and League one drift apart imo, most teams relegated into league one in recent years have done well. We're a massive club with a squad of youth far better than league one standard. Can't see us struggling personally.

smithy in nl likes this.
  16. Burly Hurley

I knew you weren't one of them Bri. Just can't recall and can't be arsed to see who did <laugh>

I thought we'd finish mid-table. I just couldn't understand where some of the positivity was coming from back then.

17. Teessidemackem

With the squad we had we should have finished mid table at least, but dont get me started on all that again.

18. Brian Storm

I thought we'd finish mid table too, I thought Short would spring into life in Jan as he wouldn't dare risk most of his investment. But he did and blew the whole thing. <doh>

19. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

Not to be a pedant but you could still stay up.... Long shot perhaps but you never know. Although I’d be curious as to the odds for a 3rd consecutive relegation if you did go down.

smithy in nl and LiamO like this.
  20. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Just a guess but I think you'd be looking at about 28/1 - 33/1