1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Accrington Stanley v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Any news on why Gnonto wasn't in the matchday squad today ?

Serious answers only please as I know some of you have been drinking :emoticon-0168-drink:emoticon-0168-drink:emoticon-0168-drink

Irishshako likes this.
  2. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Marsch has a habit of improving our players.

Look what he has done for Rodrigo. Now, he's even made Firpo look good.

Marcos Barber and Eireleeds1 like this.
  3. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

Stretching your anti Bielsa angle a bit there buddy but, your humour never lets you down <laugh>:emoticon-0148-yes:

ristac likes this.
  4. Marcos Barber

I would say our thoughts are pretty similar on most things other than, you love Sinisterra ( who is extremely good) but, for me, Rutter was just as good (although, I have to admit, I’m a sucker for someone that plays with a smile on his face), and Roca. I wouldn’t say Roca was poor per se, I said he and Greenwood were awful and I would stick with that. Maybe, Greenwood was so poor Roca couldn’t do any more? Yes, he tries to keep the engine ticking but, between them there is no dynamism, strength or flair.

You had the benefit of eye level and the pace and physicality of the game, I had the luxury of central heating and replays. I know you really understand the game but would suggest, if you watch it all again, you would see someone incredibly timid in the challenge and, especially, in aerial combat. In the EPL that gets smashed :emoticon-0148-yes:

5. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Stanley are a HUGE side mate. Huge! The ball spent alot of time in the air. Everyone was getting frustrated early 1st half because they were lumping it and we just lumped it back. That's why they started brightly. Very physical game today, on and off the ball.

Roca and Greenwood definitely came 2nd best in the physicality section. However Roca is clever, after 15 minutes or so he started to find little bubbles of space and just played the easy ball. When he was tightly marked he'd just drag those markers out of the way and make space for the ball in to one of the front threes feet. Their midfield then had to retreat a bit to try and stop that happening which gave him space to get on the ball more. I really enjoyed watching him play. It's clear he's watched Busquets play (I'm not saying he is anywhere near that level). The pass that sent Harrison away for the third looked simple but it was the outside of his foot through two defenders. The curve on the ball basically made Jack's job so much easier. Rutter tried a similar ball first half and just prodded it for a goal kick.

Roca wasn't perfect today. Greenwood was terrible. I used to play midfield and I love watching the holding players. Roca has intelligence and does alot of things for those around him just by his positioning. Tackling isn't his strong point but he learnt and grew in to the game, he found a way. He's not the Phillips or Adams type of DM, he's like a poor man's Busquets or Michael Carrick. I just wish he was as good as either of them but that's what 10 million gets you today.

6. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

If watched Greenwood recently with interest since he appears to be getting more game time. So far, apart from his prowess on a dead ball, I’m not seeing much to get excited about yet. However he has lots of time and hope he continues to get the opportunities

7. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Even his corners were mostly poor today too

8. NostradEmus

He's only just gone 21 a couple of days ago. He has 17 PL appearances with 1 goal and 4 assists. The lad can strike a ball for fun.

He had a bad start today and I think he was trying too hard after that. That's just lack of experience. I found myself watching him and the choices he made throughout and he became more erratic everytime something didn't work for him. I found myself wishing he'd just do the simple thing and keep possession and he might, just might get a starting gig in the middle of the park eventually. Strangely his set pieces were poor today too so I'm just putting today down as a bad day at the office. He has time. One positive from today was that he never gave up or let his head drop. I like that in a player but today was well below par.

9. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

That is a great summary. Roca is one of those players that you don’t notice what he does on the pitch until he’s not on the pitch to do it. I actually like all of our signings but we do need a proper left back.

10. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

He is not first team ready, however, JM seems to like him

11. NostradEmus

He's at that awkward stage where he won't start for the first team but he's too good for the u21's.

I think it was the right call to play him today. You learn by playing but yeah, it wasn't good from him today. If McKennie comes, Greenwood will drop further down the pecking order.

wakeybreakyheart and Eireleeds1 like this.
  12. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

Tackling not a strong point for a DM ?

A bit like saying that shooting is a not a strong point for a striker.

It's kinda needed for the role. A non-tackling DM is a contradiction in terms.

Eireleeds1 and Jammy 07 like this.
  13. Jammy 07

Greenwood has improved immensely since his debut, when to be honest he looked out of his depth. However today he looked like a player who just can't get his body and mind to act quick enough. I'm sure he knows what to do and he does have talent just maybe not at the level that's required for the PL.

Still early days for him of course, but a bit like Joffy when someone comes in who's better (Rutter) you can immediately see there's a gulf in class.

14. Jammy 07

Probably should add that the best player for us today by a country mile was;

Jack Harrison.

Unfortunately never seems to get the credit his tireless performances deserve.

15. Eireleeds1

For honks I’ve read the argument here and elsewhere, we have three wingers, why are we signing another. Same strikers centre halves etc. but now we are upgrading what we already have at the club. That’s the right policy as we want to move away from being a bottom eight team. The ones most likely to suffer from that approach of course are the Gelhardt greenwood’s and maybe even Pascal

16. Eireleeds1

Harrison like so many more of our strikers need to strike the ball first time. Stop fanning about taking too many touches. He did it against Brentford last season and today. I don’t care if they end in row z, some will result in a goal. He’s proven he’s well able to do it

17. Jammy 07

Spot on Eire.

Two top players for each position is the goal and then we can push on for Top 8...or higher.

Unfortunately that means some will have to make way but it's about the club/team/supporters and not the individual <ok>

18. Jammy 07

Are you the coach for my son's U16 team by chance ?

Shooooot <laugh>

19. Marcos Barber

No mate, Kev is waaaaay too emotional to be the coach :emoticon-0148-yes:

Eireleeds1 and Jammy 07 like this.
  20. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

i went Jack, paddy in that order…Good to agree on something fella :biggrin: