1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Accrington Stanley v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 25, 2023.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Accrington Stanley v Leeds Utd
    FA Cup 4th Round. Saturday 27th January@12:30pm | Wham Stadium

Leeds will make a last minute dash down the M62 on Saturday lunchtime to take on League 1 strugglers Accrington Stanley in the fourth Round of the FA Cup. The 'Owd Reds' finally beat National League outfit Boreham Wood, courtesy of a penalty in added extra time. Domestically, they sit in 20th position, just a point above the drop zone.

The two sides have only ever met twice, with Leeds victorious both times (2-0 in the Johnstones Paint Trophy in 2009, and a narrow 2-1 win in 2014 in the League Cup). John Coleman's side got their own back a couple of seasons ago when they demolished Leeds U21's 7-0. Coleman is almost a part of the furniture at the Wham Stadium; he's been there since 2014.

Leeds will be without the services of Joe Gelhardt and Cody Drameh. Both are expected to secure Championship loan deals in the next couple of days. Joel Robles is expected to start, and a back four of Kristensen, Firpo, Llorente and Koch. It would make sense to play Koch, who has to serve a one match suspension against Nottingham Forest next week. Bamford and Sinisterra will also be given minutes, as the duo look to regain full fitness following their respective lengthy injuries.

It remains to be seen whether record signing Georginio Rutter makes his Leeds debut, though its more likely, he'll be on the bench, alongside Joseph and Perkins. Fellow youngster Darko Gyabi should start.

The visitors will be without midfielder Joe Pritchard who ruptured his Achilles last month.

2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Robles
    Kristensen, Koch, Wober, Firpo
    Roca, Greenwood, Aaronson
    Georginio, Rodrigo, Sinisterra

Adams
    Struijk
    Ayling
    Gnonto
    Bamford
    Perkins
    Gyabi

3. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

Personally, I would play the Centre Back pairing planned for Forest, even if that means Ayling and Wober. Should be good enough for this game and a chance to build some understanding :emoticon-0148-yes:

4. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Beat me to it! Spot on. Prolly Llorente starting at CB with Wober.

I also wonder if we'll try 4-4-2, to give 2 strikers a run out & stretch play wide?

5. blonogasoven

blonogasoven Well-Known Member

Our next game after this is 5th Feb against Florist who have already lost the SF to scum but still have to travel there on 1st Feb so why not just play our strongest team?
    We don't need to give anyone minutes so I want to see us destroy AS and get a huge boost before playing a hopefully despondent and tired Florist.

6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Surely Jesse is two consecutive defeats away from the chop, or a defeat and a draw, he can’t afford an embarrassing exit followed by not taking maximum against Forest

I’m expecting a pretty near full starting 11 as Jesse needs wins from somewhere

7. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Mixed messages so far from Marsche in the FA Cup.

First a much changed side against Cardiff, quickly followed by an almost full strength team for the replay. All of which makes it looks like he doesn't really know the best approach and maybe it's time he stopped trying to placate squad players and just picked the best team available on the day.

Anyone remember when Tommy Christensen was sackly shortly after the FA Cup debacle involving 'spit the dog' Siaz and his subsequent suspension. To be honest it shouldn't be that difficult, but somehow our managers seem to have a habit of making it look practically impossible to negotiate a relatively easy cup tie.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  8. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

I think he felt the pressure to win the replay. The fans weren't happy (some still aren't) and I think he needed the win foe his own sake.

I think he'll do the same at Accrington. I doubt we'll be seeing Gyabi start.

9. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Scum and barcodes both fielding full strength sides in cardboard cup semis. Liverpool same in 3rd round fa cup. Surely we should de doing same

Makemstine Roger and NostradEmus like this.
  10. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

So the club appoints a coach Marsch wanted and then sacks marsch two games later. If the owners were thinking it's the last chance saloon why do that and have to pay compensation.

11. Eireleeds1

We’ll at least if our results pick up then new assistant coach can be given all the credit <laugh>

12. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So imagine the worse, we get knocked out the FA cup then lose to Forest. Do you really think Jesse would be safe with back to back games against Man U. He’d have to win both to save himself.

No this is the 49ers forward planning, they’re hoping the assistant helps Jesse and we start winning some games, Jesse feels happier and thinks straighter.

On the other hand two defeats and we’ll see this new assistant take over as interim, the fans would forgive him defeats against Man U or he wins and becomes an instant hero. Either way the board buys themselves time, no need for embarrassing interviews why you still have Jesse and no going 2-3 games with nobody capable of taking over

We could wait until the end of the season if we had to, this new coach is seen as helping Jesse whilst also being the emergency back up and giving the board options

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  13. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

It is an interesting ‘dilemma’ should that happen risty. It’s entirely possible that we play well and lose all 3 games. That’s football. I don’t think they’d sack him. Play sh*t, look in total disarray, the players looking beaten before taking the pitch? Like last year. Well then they might.

If he’s just an RB stooge (no idea whether he’s any good as a coach tbh) What would armas do different if installed as interim?

14. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Jesse not going anywhere until we've played Everton (a) and Southampton (h).

If we're in the bottom 3 after those then there will be a massive decision to make.

15. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

<laugh>

16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I think the club are taking a gamble and spending big to make sure we stay up. Not taking anything to chance like last year. It shouldn’t be that much of a gamble when you look at the players we now have and if McKennie joins too well there is no excuse for struggling. Yes no guarantees in football but …….. if we crawl over the line again I suspect Marsch will be sacked in the summer and probably Orta too because 49ers assuming they are in charge won’t want to mess around struggling next season

17. ellandback

Forum Moderator

---------------------Robles--------------------
    Kristensen--Koch---Llorente---Firpo
    ----------Greenwood---Gyabi------------
    Sinisterra------------------------Harrison
    -----------Bamford------Rutter------------

I think we could get an hour out of Bamford. Even if Rutter isn't 100% fit, I'd start him, and again would like to see an hour from him. If we are 2 up or more, swap them for Joseph and Perkins for the last half hour.

18. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Looks as though I will miss the game so will be relying on updates on my phone
    Anyway Jesse can field whatever team he wants just better come away with a win or else !

19. Eireleeds1

Far too many changes from last weeks team. That's back to fielding a less than full strength side

20. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Closer to the time http://www.kickofgoal.com will have a mobile phone stream.