1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Academy watch 2018-19

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The RDBD, Jul 26, 2018.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Parrott makes it 2-1 with a low drive

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He'll be in the starting XI for the first team by the end of the season, at this rate! <laugh>

3. humanbeingincroydon

Markanday's been a lowkey highlight this season, given so much attention has been focused on Parrott and Skipp

...and what the hell was that corner?

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  4. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

2-1 FT. Spurs stay up, West Ham go down and everyone's happy.

5. humanbeingincroydon

I'm not. What the hell was that corner from TO-B???

6. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I'm not, either. There's one game left. <doh>
    Spurs face Derby, who couldn't hold on to beat the Spam, while they're up against Everton, who just won the division.

7. humanbeingincroydon

Based on what I saw in the last 25ish minutes and the match highlights

Parrott - while he scored two goals, what stood out was his composure, not least letting Markanday's ball run past him so he could score the second
    Markanday - positive going forward, and while he's prone too bouts of Townsenditis at least he manages to keep them on target
    Roles - always looking to get into good positions, although on a few occasions got in Parrott's way
    Austin - seemed composed throughout
    Shashoua - while he was only on for the last few minutes, he seemed to always be in two places at once
    Oakley-Boothe - kept dribbling down blind alleys when he came on, and was guilty of a diabolical corner late on
    Tracey - whenever I've seen him play he always seems to need to take at least one extra touch and wastes a good break, and the same happened here

8. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Jack Roles scores goals. <ok> He's out of contract in the summer and that's got to help him get a new one.

9. humanbeingincroydon

...and, no, Parrott won't be in the squad tomorrow

10. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I don't think he's eligible, so I'm not sure why he's been mentioned. Hasn't been at the club long enough for the B list.

11. humanbeingincroydon

After a whole week of r/coys saying Janssen should play against Ajax in spite his not being part of the CL squad, it's probably a good idea to get that out there just in case

Also, Parrott was stretchered off in this match, so he's probably ****ed for the weekend too

12. humanbeingincroydon

Crap, I'm a little behind on this one...

So the U18s aare currently in the Netherlands taking part in the Terborg Tournament, and two interesting things jump out from the squad list: Notts County striker Kion Etete being part of the squad having previously been at the club on trial, and Jack Roles havign a place in the squad too

The scedule is as follows
    vs Ajax Cape Town (yesterday 7:00pm)
    vs Flamengo (today 10:00am)
    vs Vitesse Arnhem (today 2:00pm)

From what I understand, our results were
    Ajax: won 1-0
    Flamengo: drew 0-0
    Vitesse: drew 2-2

13. humanbeingincroydon

A little more detail, c/o SuperHotspur and the OS

vs Ajax Cape Town: De Bie; Okedina, Lyons-Foster, Dinzeyi, Cirkin; Bowden, White; Markanday, Roles (Etite 42), Patterson (Clarke 38); Richards - Patterson with the only goal
    vs Flamengo: De Bie; Okedina, Lyons-Foster, Binks, Cirkin; Bowden, White (Shashoua 40); Clarke (Patterson 37), Richards (Dinzeyi 50), Bennett; Etete
    vs Vitesse: Kurylowicz; Okedina, Dinzeyi, Binks, Cirkin (White 42); Bowden, Shashoua; Markanday, Pedder (Etete 31), Patterson (Clarke 34); Roles - Markanday and sub White scored the goals

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  14. humanbeingincroydon

So the Terborg Tournament went off a cliff: a 4-0 loss to Midtjylland in the semi-final, followed by a 3-0 loss to Flamengo in the third-placed playoff

vs Midtjylland: De Bie; Okedina, Lyons-Foster, Dinzeyi (Binks 24), Cirkin; White (Etete 25), Bowden; Markanday, Clarke, Patterson; Roles
    vs Flamengo: Kurylowicz; Okedina, Lyons-Foster (Bowden 47), Binks, Cirkin; White, Shashoua; Clarke (Markanday 32), Roles (Patterson 32), Bennett; Etete

15. humanbeingincroydon

I know I posted a link of it elsewhere on the forum, but WindyCOYS's piece on both the Retain/Release list and our academy in general is worth a read

In the first week of June Spurs will announce their released and retained players, and there are some decisions to make both with those whose contracts are expiring, and those caught between academy and first team.

In terms of the first team, we have two players whose contracts are expiring: Michel Vorm (35) and Fernando Llorente (34). I think we can safely assume that Vorm will be leaving, but there is a big question mark over Llorente, particularly given his impact in the Champions League. Personally I think if we have the squad space then he should be kept on, but what makes that difficult is that we won’t necessarily know until the end of the transfer window how the squad is shaping up. It would be pretty awful planning if we were to extend his contract and then end up not being able to name him in the 25-man squad, à la Vincent Janssen. But that also assumes that we might buy some players, sooooo…

Then we come onto the Development Squad players, and I think there’s a real point of interest here. In doing some research for this article I found the below tweet that I made in June 2018.

Nick Tsaroulla, after a year without a club, has joined Championship side Brentford this week ahead of next season. Tsaroulla was an excellent left-back in our Under-18s and then Under-23s who suffered an injury away from the pitch and was ultimately released. I was surprised, as Spurs had previously stuck by injured players (Joe Pritchard as an example, but there have been others) and, besides, I thought Tsaroulla was good. I think in hindsight we should have kept hold of Tsaroulla and released the others mentioned in my tweet above.

Those I mentioned will presumably all be released or sold this summer (Jaden Brown already joined Huddersfield in January on a free transfer). I think you could reasonably say that we have wasted a year’s worth (or 6 months’ worth in Brown’s case) of time, wages and potential opportunities for others on Tom Glover, Shayon Harrison, Shilow Tracey and Brown. Harrison and Glover have spent some of the season away on loan — Glover at Helsingborg, making 0 appearances, and Harrison at Melbourne City FC, making 11 appearances. But ultimately we made poor judgement calls and I personally think this is more evidence of mismanagement of the Development Squad players, and I personally believe that more oversight is required of that group.

I would support the introduction of an Academy Progression Manager to oversee everything from Post-Scholarship to first team integration, setting up individual progression plans and arranging loans if deemed necessary. As it stands, too many players are stagnating or regressing. Speaking of which…

A number of the current scholars have been sharing pictures on social media of themselves signing their first professional contracts — a proud moment for them and their families! It seems that pretty much all of the second year scholars have signed professional contracts, the only question marks perhaps being Jeremie Mukendie and Elliot Thorpe, who have not played a lot of football this season for various reasons. This means that the Development Squad will be seeing the introduction of the following players next season:
    • Phoenix Patterson
    • Rodel Richards
    • Maxwell Statham
    • Jubril Okedina
    • Armando Shashoua
    • Brooklyn Lyons-Foster
    • Joshua Oluwayemi
    • Maurizio Pochettino
    • Rayan Clarke
    • Paris Maghoma
    • Maximus Tainio
    • Jamie Bowden
    • Dilan Markanday
    • Jeremie Mukendie – TBC
    • Elliot Thorpe – TBC
    It’s worth noting that Oliver Skipp is also in this age group (2000/2001 born) but, of course, he has already become a first team squad member.

So what can we say about this? Well, we’ve offered more (mostly one-year) pro contracts than possibly ever before. It’s a strong group, but some of those offered contracts are arguably at an ability level at which in previous seasons would have seen them released or offered an extension of their scholarship to really prove themselves capable at Under-18 level before progressing or moving on.

This most likely supports what many youth-watchers had already been thinking: that a clear-out of the Under-23s/Development Squad will be happening. The following players are out of contract this summer:
    • Connor Ogilvie (23)
    • Shayon Harrison (21)
    • Tom Glover (21)
    • Brandon Austin (20)
    • George Marsh (20)
    • Dylan Duncan (20)
    • Jack Roles (20)
    • Japhet Tanganga (20)
    • Charlie Freeman (19)
    • Jonathan De Bie (18)
    I think we can expect most of these players to leave. Sadly, Roles — who has 13 goals and 6 assists in 19 matches this season — has not been offered a contract, and is being courted by multiple clubs from Premier League to League One. Marsh has been included in first team squads, so may get a contract extension on that basis, and hopefully young goalkeepers Austin and De Bie will be kept on too.

Aside from these players, we have decisions to take on:
    • Luke Amos (22) – contract expiry: 2021
    • Anthony Georgiou (22) – contract expiry: 2020
    • Kyle Walker-Peters (22) – contract expiry: 2023
    • Joshua Onomah (22) – contract expiry: 2021
    • Cameron Carter Vickers (21) – contract expiry: 2021
    • Shilow Tracey (21) – contract expiry: 2020
    • Alfie Whiteman (20) – contract expiry: 2020
    • Kazaiah Sterling (20) – contract expiry: 2021
    • Marcus Edwards (20) – contract expiry: 2020
    • Sam Shashoua (19) – contract expiry: 2020
    • Jonathan Dinzeyi (19) – contract expiry: unknown
    • Jamie Reynolds (19) – contract expiry: unknown
    • TJ Eyoma (19) – contract expiry: 2021
    • Tashan Oakley-Boothe (19) – contract expiry: 2021
    • Tariq Hinds (18) – contract expiry: unknown
    Some of the decisions may be taken out of the club’s hands. The agents of Sterling, Edwards, Shashoua and Georgiou forced the issue with loans last season, meaning that each now has experience of professional football on their CV and they may look for permanent moves. Conversely, Walker-Peters has staggeringly played nearly as many minutes for the England Under-21s as he has at any level for Spurs since August 2017.

I would think that this is the summer that Onomah and Carter-Vickers move on and if Walker-Peters stays it would surely only be because he’s received assurances of significant game-time next season. Amos has had an injury-disrupted season and may give it another year given the positive impression he made in pre-season last summer.

Of the development squad players, I could foresee Dinzeyi and Reynolds being released (incidentally Reynolds has been injured for a lot of the season but has shown some potential at left-back), whilst I think Hinds will be kept on; he’s a very competent right-back with a degree of potential.

I await our released and retained lists with baited breath and hope that the presumed clear-out marks the beginning of a new strategy for our Development Squad players, hopefully involving more strategic loans, more involvement on the first team bench, and the use of fringe players (like Skipp and Walker-Peters) in alternative competitions (PL2, Checkatrade Trophy, etc).

This is even more vital because of the position we have got ourselves into with the number of homegrown players required to enable us to name a 25-man squad (see this piece from last year for further information). What we don’t want is to have to spend big money on inflated transfer fees for homegrown players who are potentially no better than players we could have developed from within, and I think that’s a genuine risk right now.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  16. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

I lose track on what's been said where but this has been surpassed by this from a very creditable source...

If it's been posted elsewhere, then apologies.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  17. humanbeingincroydon

The original article was posted a few weeks ago, which also explains why Ogilvie's listed even though he signed for Gillingham a couple of weeks back

18. humanbeingincroydon

It's official

In: Kion Etete (signed from Notts County)
    New contracts: Jack Roles, Japhet Tanganga
    Released: Dylan Duncan, Charlie Freeman, Tom Glover and Jamie Reynolds
    Apparently news even though he was confirmed to have left last month: Connor Ogilvie

Tanganga is an interesting one, as a month or so ago it was being suggested he would be released at the end of the season, so him getting a new contract is a good sign - especially as his style of play is one part Ledders and one part Sissoko

19. humanbeingincroydon

20. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator