1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX 2021

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Dec 7, 2021.

?

Who will win - simple :-) ?

Poll closed Dec 10, 2021.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

71.4%
  2. Max Verstappen

7.1%
  3. Valtteri Bottas

7.1%
  4. Sergio Perez

7.1%
  5. Lando Norris

7.1%
  6. Esteban Ocon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Pierre Gasly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Fernando Alonso

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Kimi Raikkonen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Could easily blame the incoming covid restrictions. Or he missed the bus. :)

Justjazz and ched999uk like this.
  2. SgtBhaji

I don't think the decision at the end had anything to do with that...I think they'd have done it even if the places had been reversed. They just wanted that last lap "shootout". Too good an opportunity to miss for them. The cash registers were ringing!!!

ched999uk and taeleon like this.
  3. SgtBhaji

On the other hand, Horner should have been more careful post Silverstone with his accusations. He played square in to the the dangerous black man out to kill the innocent white man crowd. Knowingly or not, he stirred up a hell of a lot of racism.

Then to follow it up by dismissing that abuse by saying "Max was abused too", just shows how either completely ignorant he is, or how good at pretending to be.

ched999uk and taeleon like this.
  4. Quagmireuk

Quagmireuk Active Member

Honestly.... You're showing your American in this post. The UK is not as openly divided on the streets.

I wouldn't put it down to the fact Lewis is black... I'd put it down to him ruffling a few feathers by speaking up against racism and other injustices which he is brave and I'm proud he does.

That means he's in the firing line for those that might think this shouldn't be discussed in the sport.

5. SgtBhaji

Maybe so. But let's remember that F1 is a global sport and not everyone that watches is based in the UK.

But the UK has problems of it's own when It comes to racism, and not just black people. A lot of it brought about by Farrage and his sort. You only have to look at some of the things that have occured during and since Brexit, and the flack that Black players took after the Euros final for instance. Racism is alive and well in the UK and has been for some time.. That's brought about by seeing people of color as a threat or somehow inferior.

And if Hamilton ruflfles feathers with what he stands for, that's a big problem.

Maybe I was unkind to Horner, but this was my view at the time and I still stand by it.

I fear I may have opened up a much wider discussion here, but do I think the engineering of the finale was based on race... No, not at all. Simply show business.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  6. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Nah, he should go do nascar, that's where the hearts and minds need to be changed.

7. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

It is me that has opened this up. I don't think that one incident was itself driven by direct racist opinion. I do wonder if the desire to have a new champion was influenced by people saying we need a new champion, some of whom their reasons are less than honest. The people I know who feel the impact of racism see it in different forms, out in the open and at other times under the covers. I think the people who have an underlying problem don't even know they have. Michael Schumacher, I doubt he would ever have had that move pulled on him and I even fear some of those who hold Michael on a pedestal don't want him toppled by someone who is not white. Forgive me for saying this, it is just a sense I have. I have a friend who has recently experienced some racism and we have talked about it a lot so I might be a little too sensitive to the possibility of undertones.

SgtBhaji likes this.
  8. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

Why would they have done it if the places had been reversed?

They knew Lewis was on 40 lap old hards, Verstappen was on brand new softs so they knew Max would overtake and win the race and become the new World champion they wanted.

with Lewis on new softs and max on his old hards Lewis would have won, but then they wouldn’t have had a new champion so Masi would have followed the rules as they should have been followed, race finishes under the safety car, as it should have done and they still have the new world champion they wanted. Masi would just say, followed safety car protocols as they are written down, tough luck

9. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

Thanks for showing you’re a comedian.

10. Justjazz

I agree with your thoughts. I am looking beyond the commentators but no names. With some I see an unfolding story, a comment here, a comment there, nothing openly specific but if you put them into a paragraph you would be a little, if not more than a little, surprised.

duggie2000 likes this.

11. SgtBhaji

To be fair, him and Max might have been better off in NASCAR's this season .

But yeah, you're absolutely right. Don't recall that working out too well with Bubba Wallace and the crowd though.

12. SgtBhaji

I mean if Max was in Hamilton's shows and Hamilton in Max's, they'd have probably done exactly the same. I don't think they cared who won so much, just that they had that last lap moment for TV.

That's just how I feel about it. Either one was a good story for them. New champ or an 8x record breaker.

Big Ern likes this.
  13. SgtBhaji

So is this where if you disagree with somebody, they're automatically a comedian?

You can challenge my views if you disagree. I can take it. :)

Justjazz and Smithers like this.
  14. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Yeah, but some of the hate for Bubba is because he gets a ridiculous amount of exposure for his talent. In an F1 scenario it would be like the commentators constantly going on about Max, Lewis & Stroll.
    Same, afaic this has liberty media all over it, finishing one of the best F1 seasons for a while behind the SC wasn't an option for them. Letting some lapped cars overtake was a terrible mistake, and I think Max would probably still had an opportunity to win, just not one handed on a silver platter.

15. SgtBhaji

The ironic thing is, had they not cleared those cars, it would have actually setup a more tense scenario, and may have actually wound up in some kind of last corner duel. Had Max gone on to win, it would have been normal, fair and everyone could live with it.

ched999uk, taeleon, Big Ern and 3 others like this.
  16. Justjazz

If you assume the lapped cars had allowed Max through at the beginning of the restart Lewis would have probably been some way ahead to prevent Max from getting into the slip stream as early as he did. It would have been a tense last corner. Everyone could have accepted the result, whatever it was, including Lewis.
    That was Masi's intent till Horner chipped in. I want Lewis to show what a real champion can do next year, along as he beats RBR I would live with a Ferrari or a Mclaren driver getting the title.

ched999uk and duggie2000 like this.
  17. SgtBhaji

Would be brilliant to see both of them back in the fight. Next year could be a mixed bag... Assuming the powers that be don't decide to eff about again.

18. moreinjuredthanowen

That literally never happened

19. moreinjuredthanowen

We could see that verstappen back to sainz was a massive.massive gap.

All hamilton really needed was on unlapped car staying back from him on restart and he was never getting passed.

20. SgtBhaji

Still absolute radio silence from Hamilton on social media. Dunno what to read in to that. Maybe just a case of better to say nothing at all.