1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX 2021

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Dec 7, 2021.

?

Who will win - simple :-) ?

Poll closed Dec 10, 2021.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

71.4%
  2. Max Verstappen

7.1%
  3. Valtteri Bottas

7.1%
  4. Sergio Perez

7.1%
  5. Lando Norris

7.1%
  6. Esteban Ocon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Pierre Gasly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Fernando Alonso

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Kimi Raikkonen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

It also doesn't help with Max and Horner spewing their crap too. Horner is now saying Merc had no grounds for appeal and Masi was right to do what he did.

I find it so dangerous he's prepared to let the sport go to this showbusiness side just to justify Max's title. Like I get it, they won't say anything bad against them or they admit that Max's title is all but false but can't they just not say anything?

I'm not a violent person at all but Horner brings out a violent side in me I never knew was there. I just want to punch him right in his smug face. x_x

2. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is partly due to the company being a Drinks Manufacturer not an engineering company? i.e. their business is all about flamboyant publicity to sell more drinks. Just look at what Red Bull sponsor - diy go cart down hill racing, highest altitude balloon jump, to name but a few of their publicity ventures.

Justjazz, DHCanary and taeleon like this.
  3. taeleon

You might have hit the nail on the head. It's almost like they have no respect for F1 or its fans at all. It's just such a bizarre situation.

I did get a chuckle out of this one:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...tappen-endures-awkward-moment-FIA-awards.html

Justjazz, duggie2000 and ched999uk like this.
  4. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

paultheplug, ched999uk and taeleon like this.
  5. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

This is a bit unfair on Max. He drove a brilliant season and deserved to be there in the end. What played out is in no way his doing, and we must accept him as champion I feel.

But, had the boot been on the other foot, they would have screamed blue murder, and rightly so.

DHCanary likes this.
  6. taeleon

I'm not saying take the title away from him though I genuinely don't believe he deserves it. But how can they out right lie and pretend they think what Masi did is right?

Don't get me wrong, Max deserves a world championship for this seasons drive, but he doesn't deserve this one quite simply as, if all was done properly he would not have had enough points to win it. Despite his "better stats" he still would have finished behind Lewis so while his drive was great, it wasn't good enough this year.

Justjazz, ched999uk and duggie2000 like this.
  7. SgtBhaji

Wonder how much they're going to fine Hamilton for not showing up last night. And do we read anything in to him not showing up? Like he's done and that was the final act.

Would be a hell of a way to go... Still hoping returns tho.

Justjazz and ched999uk like this.
  8. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

Oh the Irony by Ben Sulayem!

Asked to clarify whether he was saying Hamilton would be penalised for not attending the gala, he said: "Forgiveness is always there. But rules are rules.

Justjazz, paultheplug and ched999uk like this.
  9. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I genuinely think Hamilton's consideration is something along the lines of "what let's me do the most good?".

His legacy in F1 is secure, he never has to work again, and he's famous enough that his sidelines in fashion, etc will be possible whether he retires from F1 now, in 5 years, whenever. But his highlighting of injustices, and projects with the Hamilton Commission, etc probably do benefit from him being a prominent motorsports figure still racing.

If Hamilton thought that an Indycar tilt, WEC season, rallying, whatever, would boost that objective more than F1, I think he'd do it. Whilst F1 might be the best for exposure, if it's a series he's seething mad at then he might not hang around long, and his shelf-life as an F1 driver is 4 more seasons at most? Go to Indycar, and he can become a role model and figurehead for his causes in a country where he's probably underappreciated/less well known. He lands a top seat overnight and races at the front for a decade if he wants.

taeleon and SgtBhaji like this.
  10. SgtBhaji

I would bloody love to see him in IndyCar. Don't see that happening though, but boy it would be immense.

11. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

I can’t make my mind up if that was ironic or just plain tragic by Ben Sulayem

12. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

13. duggie2000

30 years ago he used to be a comedian who was funny, now is is a sad little ****

14. taeleon

Stopped watching at his F1 cars driving by noises. I cringed too much.

15. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Anyone see the grand tour and the race? The racing director met his end! This must have been recorded a good few months ago!

16. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Don't take him seriously, he is trying to drum up his own ratings. His style of humour is long over, He was never clever, just controversial and made his money that way.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  17. SgtBhaji

Any opportunity to show his racism.

18. Justjazz

Let's see, Lewis's excuse, I didn't want to vomit and ruin everyone's evening. Fully support his absence.

duggie2000 and ched999uk like this.
  19. Justjazz

This is a genuine question. No one has mentioned the race card (racism). Does anyone on here think that has a part in this. When I listen to some I can't help wondering at tmes. I am not suggesting Max, or even Horner. Just some circuit influencers.
    I am asking because this is the one thing that would make Lewis more than angry. Lewis has brought this to the fore with the taking of the knee. You only have to look at politics to know the arrogance of establishments.

20. duggie2000

I have been surprised and disappointed when certain white British commentators have almost had an orgasm every time the helmet has overtaken and or beaten the greatest British racing driver ever who just happens to be black

If I were him I would have been thinking Racist ****s and I do wonder if this was why Toto seemed to look after Lewis as if he were a young son of his who was being unfairly treated by the media

Justjazz likes this.