1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Aberdeen v St Mirren

Discussion in 'Aberdeen' started by Psychosomatic, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Psychosomatic

Psychosomatic Well-Known Member

I also read that, Toiler. St Mirren apparently had a glorious chance to clinch it towards the end and were only foiled by a last-ditch save by Margarine Hands.

Still, if you take Celtic out of the equation – and it’s pretty helpful to do so – we’re only four points from the top. And Craig Brown is now saying that he wants Aberdeen to go on an unbeaten streak. Magic. If he’d only just said this to the players a wee bit sooner, though, who knows where we might now be? Maybe he simply forgot? But I feel an awful lot better now that we’re about to embark on an unbeaten run. He hasn’t said when he next wants us to be beaten, true, but I’m sort of hoping he’s not wanting it to happen until some time towards the end of 2017.

2. Mick

Mick Probably won't answer PMs
    Staff Member

I'm guessing that people will tend to guess lower than you because they've recognised a bias (or positive outlook) in you towards your own team.

I think a better measurement of anchoring is to look at first guess proximity to actual result.

So an expected result if anchoring was true:

first guest is 12,000 - actual result is 10,000 - average guess in 11,000.
    first guess is 10,500 - actual result is 10,000 - average guess is 10,250.

There should be a clear correlation between the first guess being more/less accurate and all subsequent guesses being more/less accurate - the more wrong the first guess the more wrong everyone should be, the more right the first guess is the more right everyone should be - on average.

3. Null

Null Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

<laugh>

I've been erratic at best!

4. Rubber Johnny

Rubber Johnny Well-Known Member

To me it says yer a greetin faced **** & a very bad loser. <wah> In future start the thread & put in your prediction just before kick off instead of going to the beach with the dog (wife) or going to some pikey market. <ok>

5. Go G YellowScreen

Go G YellowScreen Well-Known Member

Down to fourth. Oh, the ignominy :emoticon-0145-shake

6. Psychosomatic

Aha. That makes more sense, thanks.

Although, in my defence, I was merely trying to use the figures in such a way that they might cast a very favourable light upon me and draw attention to all the terrible hardships I face on this board. People have gone on hunger strike for less.

Some random examples, then, before I go back and work out the whole lot (sometime in a happier future).

First guess: 12,754
    Average guess: 11,702
    Actual attendance: 11,971

First guess: 10,143
    Average guess: 10,187
    Actual attendance: 9288

First guess: 10,341
    Average guess: 9555
    Actual attendance: 8577

First guess: 10,001
    Average guess: 8781
    Actual attendance: 10,425

First guess: 10,013
    Average guess: 9449
    Actual attendance: 8282

****e. I’ve just realised that I (unthinkingly) included my first guess in the figures for the overall average guess – which, if we’re attempting to establish the differences between first guess, overall average and actual attendance, I probably shouldn’t have done, no?

Talk slowly.

Exactly! And yet there you are, sitting proud as a lion atop the table of averages. Makes me seethe with rage and envy.

Wise words, J-Rep, wise words.

Friday night kick-off against Dundee this weekend. Remember the last Friday night game against Dunfermline? A triumph. I can't remember, though, if it resulted in an attendance bump, as well? I think it probably did.

As per your instructions, however, I'm going to hold onto my prediction until the very last minute. It's going to be tense, but it's a necessary step on my road to ultimate victory.

7. Psychosomatic

Sorry, I didn't see you there, but I feel your pain, SD. You'll be in shock.

Take it up with Pud. He's cost you actual money and quite possibly a place in the history books.