1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Aberdeen v St Mirren

Discussion in 'Aberdeen' started by Psychosomatic, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Psychosomatic

Psychosomatic Well-Known Member

Premier League, Pittodrie.

Aberdeen need to win this game and that’s pretty much all there is to say.

Prediction: Aberdeen 3 St Mirren 0

And, more importantly, the attendance prediction: 10,143

This will likely be the lowest home attendance of the season to date, but I’m reluctant to believe that it will fall below the 10,000 mark. It could be very close, though. Anything above this figure is a throbbingly attractive bonus.

This is how the attendance prediction table currently stands, with Surreal Dance leading the way by dint of the fact that he predicted an Aberdeen home attendance to within 383.

1) Surreal Dance..........383
    2) MD 20/20.................571
    3) Psychosomatic..........783
    4) Johnny Rep..............1321
    5) MalteseMick.............1929
    6) UserName................2815

Feel free to add your own prediction any time, whether you’ve made one already or not. The best (closest) prediction wins an astonishing prize at the end of season.

(Someone kind will surely add the team line-ups when they’re announced later today – I have faith in humanity. I’ll not be back till late Saturday/early Sunday.)

2. Rubber Johnny

Rubber Johnny Well-Known Member

With Niall McGinn, Rob Milsom And Gary Naysmith, all out through injury; Rory Fallon and Stephen Hughes
    doubtful it could be another struggle.

Still, am going for our second win of the season with a 3 - 1 comfortable win.

Attendance prediction ....... 10,950.

<cheers>

3. Go G YellowScreen

Go G YellowScreen Well-Known Member

4. Null

Null Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Attendance: 9793

5. Bhoy From Brum

Bhoy From Brum Well-Known Member

Attendance = 10088

6. Mick

Mick Probably won't answer PMs
    Staff Member

Attendance 10,142 <whistle>

7. Rubber Johnny

Rubber Johnny Well-Known Member

**** attendance, lucky if there's 6000

8. Mick

Staff Member

please log in to view this image

9. Null

Null Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

10. Psychosomatic

Good man, Puddington Bear, thanks.

And your prediction sees you enter straight into the charts at no:2, by the way, which seems worthy of some sort of (grudging) praise.

League Table to follow…..

Oh me oh my. 0-0.

And did you see that we’ve let Paton go? The very chap we were being all enthusiastic about the other night there? A player who might usefully be deployed as, you know, a striker; someone who may reasonably be expected to finish off moves with a thingy - I forget what they’re called (or what they look like), but I understand that the ball ends up in the back of the net and that the crowd go “oh, how terribly yahoo and super hurrah, the round thing has made contact with string, what what”. Good times, J-Rep, good times.

Looky, I’m staying calm, okay, but I’m happy to follow your lead if you tell me that now might be a good time to panic and despair – and I’ve been dying for such an opportunity to materialise, let’s face it. You’re our man on the ground, though, the man in the know, so your word probably deserves to be final.

People are going to start laughing at us, by the way, if we keep on with such optimistic predictions vis-à-vis attendances and results - and I should hate for Aberdeen fans to lose their reputation as being the coolest people on this site, tbh. That would hurt like hell. <ok>

A treacherous act, Administrator, and one that leaves me wondering whether I should wait until the last minute before giving my own gilt-edged predictions. It’s a conundrum.

Hello, BFB, It’s nice to see a new face here.

I see from your profile, however, that you’ve been a member of this site from the very beginning – which means you’re very likely to be highly respected and full of wisdom, a calm head, a compassionate father-figure to all and sundry, a voice of considered and unwavering reason, pure of mind and pure of soul, an implacable opponent of moral grime and mental debauchery.

I know my stuff.

Ach. This felt quite funny in a repulsive sort of way. I forgive you, relax.

Incidentally, I’m not a fan of signatures (I find them to be a distraction and demand that you do something about this), but I like the look of the words in yours. My first guess would be Richard Dawkins – it’s the kind of thing he would say – but the structure of the writing and the effortlessly beautiful phrasing makes me lean towards Christopher Hitchens.

If I’m wrong, don’t tell me, as I could do without having my confidence bashed today.

11. Psychosomatic

No change at the top of the leader board as Surreal Dance clings on to the top spot with admirable tenacity. <grr>

And no change at the bottom, either, where UserName languishes in shameful isolation – although, had he predicted exactly the same as he predicted last week (9156), he would now be top of the league and would feel better able to face his friends and family. Pud goes straight in at no:2 with a sturdily impressive punt, dislodging MD in the process, whilst fellow newcomer Bhoy From Brum silently creeps in from absolutely nowhere to claim 5th place. Not bad.

And as the only person likely to make a prediction for every home game, I remain floating in 4th place, perfectly poised to take advantage of other people’s eventual lethargy and disinterest. If I fail to win under these circumstances, I’ll die.

1) Surreal Dance...........383
    2) Pud…………………………….505
    3) MD 20/20..................571
    4) Psychosomatic...........783
    5) Bhoy From Brum………..800
    6) MalteseMick...............854
    7) Johnny Rep...............1321
    8) UserName................2815

12. Mick

Staff Member

You are quite correct, I'm a bit of fan boy these days.

I have never indulged in signatures before (other than telling people to leave me alone) but I found myself thinking of this quote so many times in casual not606 encounters that I thought screw it, at the risk of seeming up my own arse (or that I'm trying too hard to impress people) there were just too many repetitive debates on here that could be pre-summarised within a single three liner quote, debates which will start and end from predictable preset positions of defending an allegiance to nation, church, no church or indeed football club.

13. The Raging Oxter

The Raging Oxter Well-Known Member

And in no way does it make you sound pretentious. Honestly.

14. Mick

Staff Member

Yes that was the risk I spoke of.

15. Psychosomatic

Thanks, I feel better about myself already (it won't last). And good on you for being a fan; there is an awful lot to admire about the man &#8211; not least the way he so crisply (and gorgeously) articulated difficult thoughts and ideas. It's very rare (for me) to lament the death of a stranger - unheard of, really - but I feel (and regret) the loss of this man quite strongly.

Amen to everything. Nicely said - and, in such a context, who can rightly give a **** about what other people may think? It ought to be impossible.* <ok>

We'll all have competing ideas about the things that may make us seem like tossers, anyway, and most remain blind to their own galling ****iness whilst dishing it out big style to others. Where's the point? The concept defeats me.

*Except for mummy and my wife, of course. I care about what they think of me in every context, for sure. And my dog. And sisters.

16. Mick

Staff Member

There's always a wee bit of self consciousness involved in being a bit preachy*, hence getting the 'up my own arse' comment in before someone else did - and mentioning the 'no church' allegiance so that I could always use the I'm referring to myself as well defense when someone accuses me of looking down my nose at others.

But anyway I do love the quote, it elegantly explains the 30 pager threads on GC ending with everyone having the exactly same position as they start with.

*Especially with that vegetarian, eco warrior, lover of the performing arts and hater of pretentiousness StereoTypist always ready to pounce <catfight>

17. The Raging Oxter

The Raging Oxter Well-Known Member

That's not strictly true. Before the likes of TFWNN started posting on GC I was an agnostic with an open mind. Now I'm a fully fledged atheist.

And before not606 I had nothing against the Irish...

18. ManDingo 20"/20"

ManDingo 20"/20" MDMA Guru

<applause>

And **** you and your you're ****.

19. Psychosomatic

Well, yes, that’s definitely true, although you weren’t being preachy. It appeared to me that you were merely making an observation – and one with which I happened to agree. (Which opens up the possibility, of course, that I’m entirely blinded by the fact that I happen to agree and consequently fail to see the potential downsides of such an approach. It’s a minefield out there.)

It’s a good tactic, though, to include ourselves in any criticisms we may dish out; applying the same levels of scrutiny to our own behaviours as we may afford the behaviours of others, whilst accepting the possibility of a concurrent culpability. (And if it wasn’t for those pesky kids – or Stereotypist, to be precise – you may just have got away with it.) Anyway, it’s a tactic I endeavour to use all the time, with varying degrees of success.

The circular arguments on this site are certainly something to behold - a bitingly progressive genre, for sure, in which the protagonists have bravely tried to move away from the restraints of originality, open-mindedness, complexity and nuance in favour of perpetual repetition.

Cul.

De.

Sac.

I have some sympathy with that.

As a very general point, it always somewhat surprises me that people who profess to believe very strongly in some cause or some God, say, would choose to put forward their beliefs in a public setting in such an off-putting, unimpressive and inflexible manner (according to these neutral eyes). They become the least effective spokespeople for their own ideas and may actively cheapen and harm their chosen cause in the process. I don’t really get how this makes any sense?

If I felt really, really strongly about something or other (it’s bound to happen one day), I should always like to present my arguments in the best possible light – and yes, even on a football/sports forum (why not?) – just in case anyone at all was prepared to listen or engage or take sides.

But ho hum.