1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Aberdeen v Celtic

Discussion in 'Aberdeen' started by Psychosomatic, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Psychosomatic

Psychosomatic Well-Known Member

Premier League, Pittodrie. (17/11/12)

This could be tense - excruciating, even - although it’s magic for Aberdeen to be involved in a game that might put them top of the league.

The massively disappointing defeat at Ross County was (more or less) wiped from the collective memory by the nature of the emphatic win against St Mirren last weekend, so we’re looking good.

(And beating St Mirren was particularly satisfying given the way they so recently cheated their way to victory in a League Cup quarter-final win at Pittodrie. Four penalties? With barely a couple of minutes between them? Really? Is it any wonder we complain about west coast bias? The game’s ****ed in Scotland. You couldn’t make this stuff up.)

With Hibs away next weekend, these two games – starting with Celtic - are fairly crucial if we want to maintain the pretence that we’re seriously challenging for the league. Which we do. And who can blame us?

Well, Craig Brown can, apparently: “Aberdeen are emphatically not title-contenders. I want to nip this nonsense in the bud,” he more or less told dismayed journalists who were wondering, on the back of the 4-1 win at St mirren and due to the fact that we were so close to the top of the league, if Aberdeen were genuine title-contenders with miracle-worker Brown at the helm? You can feel fairly certain that if we lose against Celtic and Hibs these same people will be wondering if Craig Brown is the right man for the job and asking if there is any way back for the “sleeping giant” in the north (or variants upon a similar, sappingly cliched theme).

Anyway, somewhat confusingly, Brown later called on Aberdeen fans to be more positive. From the BBC:

"The glass is always half empty here - Paul Lawrie didn't win The Open, you know, Jean van de Velde lost it - that's the kind of mentality up in the north east of Scotland."

And quite right, too.

"I'm from the west and in the west it's far more positive. The Hamilton and the Motherwell teams always thought they were going to win, up here you always think you're going to lose.”

Correct.

Prediction: Aberdeen 2 Celtic 1

Attendance prediction: Tricky. 16,083. (May be subject to last-minute change.)

I'll be out all day tomorrow (from about 11.30 onwards) and will miss everything. There is little, if any, justice in this world.

2. Psychosomatic

Here is the (Aberdeen home game) Attendance Prediction League as it currently stands, with the number after each name representing the closest each person has come to predicting an attendance:

1) Eric Cartman...................78
    2) Johnny Rep...................277
    3) Surreal Dance...............383
    4) Psychosomatic...............424
    5) Pud………………………………...505
    6) MD 20/20......................571
    7) Sunlini…………………………....618
    8) Bhoy From Brum…………....800
    9) MalteseMick...................854
    10) Fabulous Fabio..............968
    11) Tina...........................3456
    12) Edge…………………………....3525

Feel free to take make a prediction, whether you’ve done so already this season or not. All predictions to be in by five minutes before kick-off. (And tomorrow's game starts at 12:00, I think.)

3. Null

Null Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A bold guess but Celtic should help it get a large crowd!

4. Psychosomatic

Celtic should help "it" get a large crowd? It? We're human beings, Pud, FFS, show some respect and learn to love. Typical west coast superiority complex, dissing us honest salt of the earth types with your jibes and jeers and singular inability to view us as equals. Unbelievable.

In other news.....

Highest attendance this season: 14,010 v Ross County

Average attendance this season: 10,425, which, incidentally - and fascinatingly enough - was exactly the attendance figure at the last home game. I bring you these facts of marvel for free.

You could be right, though. I may revise my guess upwards tomorrow. I hope to catch some spoken news from The Wireless before heading out tomorrow morning (wife's birthday); some vital information in the build up to the match that may help me produce the goods and get the edge on my competitors and enemies.

5. Mick

Mick Probably won't answer PMs
    Staff Member

Man up Psycho - no poofy excuses about loving the missus too much this week - dis her and the dug and go to the pub to watch the game. There's something very special about getting pished around lunch time, in broad daylight - and then falling asleep with your dinner on your knee at tea time, much to the fury of the wife.

Trust me on this, if you don't treat her a bit mean every now and again she'll seek her rugged manliness elsewhere, and in all likelihood will run off with a big black man called Leroy <ok>

6. Null

Null Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

<laugh> Itbeing the 'game'!

7. eric cartman

eric cartman Well-Known Member

I think celtic are going to be really pumped up for this one. We've been lacking our cutting edge recently.

8. The Raging Oxter

The Raging Oxter Well-Known Member

9. Psychosomatic

Once you’ve been together with your wife for as long as I’ve been together with mine, Administrator, you’ll understand that the thought of her being with a black man called Leroy is highly, highly arousing. If only. I long for the day.

Still, you could be right about the manning-up business. I’ll ask my wife what she thinks I should do in this regard. And you’re definitely right about the peculiar joys of getting drunk so early in the day. I used to love that.

Are you actually being serious? I can never quite tell on this site. Anyway, that all feels a bit harsh, Pud, and I’ll not respond to personal insults.

Eric, hello. That's go to be the worry. I'm hoping that the lacklustre version of Celtic turn up today, although I somehow very much doubt it.

Stereo - that seems a bit low? You don't reckon we'll at least get our highest attendance of the season today?

Anyway, I'm sticking with my original guess, although I worry that Pud and Eric will be closest with their predictions today. Although if this game is live on TV.......

Right. Have a super lovely day, everyone.

10. Rubber Johnny

Rubber Johnny Well-Known Member

Crowd prediction 16850, Score. 2 - 2

11. Mick

Mick Probably won't answer PMs
    Staff Member

Bastards

12. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

Poor turn out I see.

[video=youtube;w7RIgs3eygo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7RIgs3eygo[/video]

13. Null

Null Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Your ability to read between the lines is astounding...the way you deciphered the meaning behind my comment!! <ok>

14. RAVENBLACK

RAVENBLACK Well-Known Member

****in usual let down from the Dons. All talk and no action. ****in disgraceful performance from management and team against a team there for the taking.

****in awful, just ****in awful. No ****in guts.

Isaac Osbourne in the press apologising to the fans yet again. Keep your ****in trap shut and do your talking on the pitch.

****in useless ****s.

15. Psychosomatic

Exactly.

It's the numbing predictability of it all that gets me the most, ER. Still, we should make up for it at home against Kilmarnock in a couple of weeks. With Langfield in goal, we'll be safe. <ok>

Cheers man. I'm really good at stuff like that. I could have been a psychologist, for sure.

18,032, Mick? I'll take that as the official attendance and do my calculations accordingly. It says 18,000 precisely on the BBC website (as of today), although I happen to know it said something different (something slightly higher) on the day after the match. I'll use your figure and run (more like walk, really) with it.

16. Psychosomatic

No change, then. Eric remains top and he also supplied the best guess of the day. Again.

So, here is the league as it stood immediately after the Aberdeen v Celtic game:

1) Eric Cartman...................78
    2) Johnny Rep...................277
    3) Surreal Dance...............383
    4) Psychosomatic...............424
    5) Pud&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;...505
    6) MD 20/20......................571
    7) Sunlini&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;....618
    8) Bhoy From Brum&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;....800
    9) MalteseMick...................854
    10) Fabulous Fabio..............968
    11) Tina...........................3456
    12) Edge&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;....3525

I'll work my way towards the future just as soon as possible. (Hopefully today.)