1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Aaron Ramsey set to leave after club withdraws contract offer

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, Sep 27, 2018.

1. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with the Cardiff connection. Perhaps I watch Wales more closely than you <ok>

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Probably do mate. I always thought he performed quite well for Wales. He's been good for Arsenal overall and I'll be sad to see him go. I just hope we replace him with somebody better.

PGFWhite likes this.
  3. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

As a side note, why don't any of the London clubs have LONDON in their name? As a marketing tool it is huge and I can't think of any major city in the world without a football Club named after it.

London Arsenal. The money will come piling in and the Champions League will be yours in three years. Now where's my 5% cut...…..

4. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

im just happy we finally seem to be making cut throat decisions. Players like Ramsey have been allowed to relax at this club pickin up their pay check ever week for the last 13 years or so. We are finally showing we have expectations and standards, and if a player is not good enough, he will be shown the door.

5. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

Great decision by the club. Ramsey is a squad player as far as I am concerned. If we can get his wages off the books and bring in a cheaper winger or defender it'll be an even better decision. Good luck to him. Good player but very disposable.

white_gunner and gooner4ever like this.
  6. ArtisanWenger

ArtisanWenger Active Member

Do people even see us play?Its not about the wages, it's definitely not only about the wages.

Look at out tactical set up,Aaron Ramsey is best at central midfield paired with a more defensive minded CM.Emerys set up uses two cms,one has to be the sprayer of passes,making the side tick and be balanced in attack and defence(xhaka,thiago,kroos kinda) the second is one who is defensively aggressive and secure while being a safe passer which is torreira(kante, Casemiro type etc).

So Ramsey cannot play there,only other position left for him is AMF and we have Ozil who is looking like he will be back to his 15/16 season form.

So he is a luxury in the current tactical set up,moreover Ivan Gazdiz offered him a bumber contract around 220k he looked for some performance related bonuses taking it up to 250k..then Venkatashem became the head and the new tactical set up of emery took shape and had no place for Ramsey so they decided they better use the money to get people who Unai Emery will actually use as we still operate on some kind of limitations though not as bad as the banter era.

He never asked for Ozils or near his wages,his agent and ramsey have refuted those claims officially and our club also didnt hint they did otherwise.

Its for tactical reasons he is being let go_One form he is top three box to box midfielders in the world.

All is one and one is all of homosapiens

7. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Yes, you're right he can't, because he's bang average and not good enough for a team like us.

He is not a 'luxury'. 'Luxury' suggests quality and Ramsay doesn't have that. He is nowhere near a top box to box midfielder. He's a moderately good central midfielder.

Players off the top of my head that can do at least everything Ramsay can do but better (and most can do a heck of a lot more too):
    De Bruyne
    Gundogan
    Hamsik
    Eriksen
    Alli
    Casemiro
    Alcantara
    Isco
    Ozil
    Silva
    Kante
    Kroos
    Modric
    Rakitic
    Veratti
    Niguez
    Milenkovic-Savic

And if you try and comeback with something inane like "but they're not box to box like Ramsay", then give up now. If the only way you can say someone is top 3 in the world is by removing everyone who you're comparing him against then you know you're fighting a losing battle.

8. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

Right now we could do better with a wide forward player instead of Ramsey. Despite Iwobi's improvement and the hype, he still has more improving to do. He has the skill, he has the strength now, he just doesn't have the speed of thought in the final third and his first touch needs to be better. Mikhy is on the way down now at the end of his career, he rarely makes it to the end of a game.

If we play Aubamayang on one side of Lacazette, we need more of an all-rounder on the other side, someone like Cazorla. Maybe we just have to wait a season for Iwobi, or it will be Smith-Rowe or Nelson.

9. ArtisanWenger

An average midfielder who won us two fa cup finals.You can spin the story how you like but with a defensive cover and licence to roam forward,he is one of the best in the business,let him go to a side where he will be played to his strengths then we can talk,anyways hes off soon so we will see.

We are seeing how well Kante is doing as a b2b midfielder for sarri,hes probably the best ball winner in the world but if you ask him to play cm hes bang average.

10. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Convinced you're a windup sock account. No way can you be a genuine fan. Ludicrous.

11. ArtisanWenger

Sure,are you defining yourself?

You are the windup who wont accept Arsene over achieved during the period from 2005-2013 when he was given the budget of a relegation fighting team in the other thread right?

12. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I think most Arsenal fans would like to keep Ramsey.

But at the same time he's really a player who has disappointed. He never actually become the top class midfielder everyone said he was going to be. (and perhaps he could have been)

13. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Based on yesterday’s game should we be letting Ramsey go, and what is going on with Ozil - is he on his way as well

14. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

I think we need to look at these situations holistically rather than on isolated performances.

Ramsey did extremely well when he came on yesterday - he actually changed the game - and had he been performing like that throughout his Arsenal career, I think it would be a huge mistake in letting him leave on a free.

But he's been poor for the majority of this season and, throughout his Arsenal career, has blown hot and cold. Let's not get carried away over a good second half performance against our north London rivals.

Reports said that the financial package he was asking for was too high, which is why we ended up pulling out of the contract extension. I think the club are trying to avoid the Ozil situation where giving him lucrative wages has a domino effect on other existing players. It also prices us out of getting other players. And though many of us at the time were happy Ozil stayed, we can't say the decision to increase his wages has been justified.

People say Ramsey will be missed at the club. The Ramsey of yesterday certainly will be. But there are no shortage of talented, dynamic midfield players in the modern game.

We have to trust Emery on this and I do.

So far, a lot of the choices he's made have been vindicated.

blukyt and lazarus20000 like this.
  15. BrunelGooner

As for Ozil, allegedly, when he found out Emery wouldn't be starting him against Spurs, he didn't turn up for training on Saturday.

Which is why, when Emery was asked in his post-match press conference if Ozil was at the game, he replied "I don't know".

If Ozil's going to act like a spoiled brat whenever the manager makes a decision he doesn't like, then he can do one, as far as I'm concerned.

We're 19 games unbeaten, team spirit is high, everyone's happy - why try to disintegrate the unity just because one player's ego can't handle it?

Quilllogic likes this.
  16. TheBear

When you look at how Emery is setting us up to play - It's hard to find a place for Ozil.

Our midfielders need to either be like quarterbacks or runners.

The forwards need to be quick to press from the top and the wide players are required to cover a HUGE amount of ground.

Maybe Emery will find a way to accomodate him but I dont think he is willing to change the entire system just to fit one guy.

17. BrunelGooner

I agree, but to not turn up for training because the manager didn't plan on starting you is disgraceful, in my view.

He's part of a collective team. It's not Mesut Ozil FC.

If he's not happy with his current circumstances, then work hard to change it. Don't throw a tantrum and not show up for training. It shows such a lack of respect for his team mates, the manager and, more importantly, the fans.

If this is the attitude he has, then he can bugger off.

Players are picked on merit, not based on their reputation. Maybe that wasn't the case under Wenger, but it sure as hell is now and look at how much better we're doing because of it.

Quilllogic likes this.
  18. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

I said this about Ozil, and I am an Ozil fan. He is one to many luxury players. If you are going to go with Lacazette and Aubamayang then you can't play Ozil as well.
    Ozil 5 years ago, maybe. But Ozil at 30????

There is no doubt that Ozil gives you a lot of upside, and if Lacazette or Aubamayang get injured, he is absolutely first choice, but that is a lot of money to have sitting on the bench.

I don't know, but I wonder if he would make a decent false #9, with Aubamayang and Lacazette either side of him, as neither Iwobi or Mikhitarian are exactly lighting things up?

19. TheBear

I dont really agree with the term 'luxury' player.
    He worked fantastically well at Madrid in that system. I just dont think we should try and fit a square peg in a round hole. Something Wenger did too often over the last 10 years or so.

But yeah I cant see him working up top with Lacazette and Aubameyang. I think will end up signing a creative, fast WF. Someone like Dembele or Coeman would be perfect.

20. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

Ozil is one of my favorite players stylistically, but I've said this a lot for us we need a ball carrier. A shooter. Decent vision. A more physical and dynamic playmaker. Ozil will do some amazing thing but he will not grab a game by the scruff. He will facilitate but not dominate. Dybala for me would be perfect. He can play a false #9 if you like. He's quick, he can finish and not scared to take players on.