1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Aaron Ramsey Agrees £400,000 a week contract with Juventus

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGooner, Feb 11, 2019.

1. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47203118

Staggering really.

I guess we all saw it coming, but didn't think he'd be earning that much. I am sure we were never going to entertain offering him even half of that, and I am glad the club pulled the plug on the deal.

That money would be better allocated in improving other areas of the squad, in my opinion.

For him personally, I guess he couldn't be happier. Moving to a big Italian club, earning huge money, will win league titles and compete in the Champions League...I don't know how regularly he will play, but hey ho.

I wish him all the best out there.

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Wow, good luck to him.

Can't help feel that we're going to miss him though.

winifred122 likes this.
  3. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

If I could get paid £400k a week for being average in my profession I'd take it. Fair play to him. But Juve... What the heck? £90m odd on Higuian to dump him a season or two later. £400k on Ramsay? Mental.

4. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

It was a 'free' transfer, so the wages will reflect that.

5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yeah he'll get a big signing on fee too probably.

6. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

yeah, but they pretty much all get one of those anyway,

7. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

It would have been 'free' for us to sign him too. Except it would have been a waste. Cos he's average.

8. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

His agent has earned his corn. 83.2 million pound contract. Wowsers.

9. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I don’t really understand the money he will be getting, don’t really see the value myself.

I guess this is what happens when you are a free agent.

Maybe Wenger was right, maybe things like this will convince other players to run down their contracts so they can then get mega salaries elsewhere, and maybe that will be the norm?

10. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I thought he was one of your best players and could never understand the stick he got from some quarters.

He made things happen, always tried to be creative. I think he’ll do well in Italy.

winifred122 and TheBear like this.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Agreed. I don't buy into the idea that he was average. Okay he wasn't an 'elite' player, but he was a proper workhorse for Arsenal and always kept the MF ticking over, he also scored a lot of important goals for us, including 2 FA cup winning goals recently. He was at his best for us linking up with Giroud in the box, running deep from MF, but those days are behind us now.

Can't help thinking we're letting another one go here that we're going to regret. All depends on who Emery can bring in during the summer (if we've got any cash that is)

12. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

To be honest mate, he really did frustrate me a lot. Whilst he scored some massively important goals for us, including the two cup final winners, there were far too many occasions where the way he played was more of a hindrance than a benefit.

He wasn't disciplined in his role, would halt the speed of our fluid passing game due to taking too many touches on the ball, constantly pirouetting and trying back heels without adding any meaningful attacking threat, wayward passing and shooting, quick to get into the opposition box but didn't bust a gut to get back into position when he's meant to be a box-to-box midfielder...He set a really high standard for himself in 2013-14, but never came close to hitting those heights since. That standout season was 5 years ago now.

He's a good player for sure and I'd preferred to have kept him, but he is not even close to the levels of Fabregas, van Persie or Sanchez - all of whom were better and more influential players than Aaron. We have survived with their departures, so we can definitely survive Ramsey's.

People are already debating whether he is a club legend, which I think is a farce. A good Premier League midfield player with some vital moments sure, but a club legend he is not.

BobbyD and Quilllogic like this.
  13. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Sums it up for me. To me he is just an example of how far we’ve fallen from the early noughties. We went from midfielders like Vieira, Fabregas, Gilberto, Parlour, Petit - to Ramsey. He would never get into any of our past sides, but managed to get 300 odd games for us...

14. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

The only reason we may miss him is because it's possible the gap will not be filled effectively and we'll use **** like Xhaka and Elneny or buy a £10m knockoff from Ligue 2. Or even worse someone like Fellaini in the summer.

So the same sort of way that I'd miss having dogshit on one of my shoes if the alternative was dogshit being on both of my shoes.

BobbyD likes this.
  15. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Hes average just like wilshit.