1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

A way to improve excitement in F1?

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by di Fredsta!, Mar 30, 2011.

1. di Fredsta!

di Fredsta! Well-Known Member

I was thinking that to improve F1, the teams need to be completely different. Obviously they are but even more I think they need. My idea is to have different tyres on cars in the race (read me through). For example, in Malaysia (it wont happen I know) The teams are allowed to chose 2 sets of tyres THEY want to use (SS, S, M, H) and when one team goes for SS and S for speed, another might go for M and H to get durability. If they have to all use the same its not as fun, who agrees with me?

(Sorry if it doesnt make sense, I am the worst explainer of all time)

PS Mods - I just realised I spelledExcitement wrong

2. McWilliams

McWilliams Member

That's what they do in motogp.

3. di Fredsta!

I dont watch that, but people say its more exciting...

4. McWilliams

McWilliams Member

Get rid of compulsory ****ing pit stops would be a start! Then DRS. Then Blue Flags. Then HRT. Then Ferrari.

5. McWilliams

McWilliams Member

It's different. Way more overtakes and right up until the last lap but it would be way too much for F1.

6. Sportydan

Sportydan Active Member

Im going to say it '' improving the show '' :D.

I would like to see the compulsory stop got rid of, but what i fear most is the engine changes in 2013.

7. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

I've been saying this for a couple of years, didn't realised they did it in Moto GP. I hope they do this next season, it would really throw an added curveball into the mix.

Edit: Changed the title for ya mate. <ok>

8. di Fredsta!

Not just for the race either, they have to chose on Tuesday/Wednesday before the weekend what they are going to use for the weekend would be nice to see.

9. jerseymackem

jerseymackem Active Member

I agreed with you, up till the Ferrari part! :)

10. u408379965

I think blue flags should be in, a backmarker is essentially on a different piece of tarmac, if they can't compete in a race with the rest they shouldn't be able to affect the result.

11. McWilliams

McWilliams Member

Hence the 107% rule. I think you should have one or the other. If they are within 107% they should be allowed to race like the rest of them.

12. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not keen on the blue flag rule, if your quick enough to lap someone you should be able to overtake them :)

13. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Fred: with reference to your first idea here:

Although the logistics make this difficult in F1, I would also like to see everyone allowed to make their own choice (for two compounds). Actually I have been saying this for about three years.

The logistical problem is significant though. F1 tyres are big. They take up a lot more volume than bike tyres and of course a car uses four rather than two. On top of this, an F1 car needs more sets of tyres for every session of the weekend. The result is that in spite of reducing each car's allocation to 11 sets instead of 14 for the weekend, Pirelli currently provide 1,800 tyres for each Grand Prix - and this is when they choose the compounds - which means they only bring two types of dry tyre. If all teams were given the choice of four compounds, this would double the number of tyres necessary, simply to accommodate the possibility that every team might wish to use the same compounds as each other, for each session.

1800 F1 tyres is a very big logistical problem already, not only with transport but also with having somewhere to put them when they arrive! 3600 is simply unworkable.

Your idea (mine too) would require a major re-think of what provision is currently made to accommodate a supply of tyres.

14. u408379965

Good point cosicave, the only way around this would be for teams to choose tyres a fortnight in advance which is also very impractical because it would often involve planning for the next race before the current one has started.

15. McWilliams

McWilliams Member

It was designed to make people smile. I have succeeded.