1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours A tad early I know but..

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Burly Hurley, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Colrman is reportedly after 2 Liverpool loan players, one of them a goalie.

please log in to view this image

New Sunderland boss Chris Coleman will reportedly target Liverpool duo on loan
    Karl Matchett
    20 November 2017

Chris Coleman has left his job at Wales and moved to crisis club Sunderland—and first on his wishlist are two Reds he has worked with closely.

There are still six weeks until the transfer window officially opens, but clubs will be preparing for the winter window by considering names who could boost them in the second half of the season.

While for Liverpool that might mean fans hoping for the arrival of a new first-choice centre-back, it’s more probable that temporary exits might be arranged for those not in the frame for regular first-team minutes.

And it hasn’t taken long for a new manager to be linked to a couple of those players, with Coleman said to want Ben Woodburn and Danny Ward on loan in January.

The Sunderland Echo report that Coleman has made the duo priority additions, having worked closely with them on the international stage.

Ward has barely featured this season, with just one EFL Cup appearance to his name so far despite impressing enormously at Huddersfield last term.

Woodburn, meanwhile, has made just one sub appearance—in the same game against Leicester—but made a big impact for Wales’ senior side under Coleman in World Cup qualifying.

As always there’s a balance to be struck between maintaining squad depth and allowing younger players to get minutes to continue their development, but it would seem at least one of those two need first-team action.

Ward is now 24 and has already proven he’s more than good enough to be a first-choice stopper; if he’s not to be handed minutes for the Reds, he must be allowed to go on playing elsewhere.

Woodburn, only just 18 and having recently signed a new long-term deal, is not quite in the same boat; while Championship football on a regular basis might be a good thing, so too is playing in the UEFA Youth League where he has captained Steven Gerrard’s U-19 side.

The next month or so, and whether either player gets game time for the Reds in a busy spell of matches, could dictate their short-term future in the new year.

2. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Usually I'm not that happy about new managers only going after players they've worked with before because it can show a lack of knowledge in the transfer market, but in this case if Coleman knows of a few reliable Welshies that'll make us a more solid team I'm all for it.

3. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Players entering the last 6 months of their contracts in January;

(Gk) Wayne Hennessey and Boaz Myhill

(Cb) James Collins, Steven Caulker, Nedum Onuoha

(CM) David Meyler

(STR) Jordan Hugill

4. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

When I saw the title of the thread I thought you were going to wish everyone merry christmas

5. Burly Hurley

Bah humbug!

6. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I'd agree with that - but moreso if we were in the Premier league. In this division most of the players he's worked with would be good additions I think. Although that Gareth whateverhe'scalled would be useless...

7. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

3 players will do, keeper, CB, forward.

Personally I’d be selling Kone & Cattermole to free up money for Coleman, and sending the 2 Everton loanees back.

8. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Not sure of the deals with the 2 Everton lads - if we paid a fee to loan them (unlikely I know but even if it was £50) then we're stuck with them contractually for the full length of the loan. If there's a recall clause then we can send them back in January - hopefully the latter is the right one.

Not sure about Cattermole - whilst he wouldn't be my first choice any more (I know) I watched him on Saturday when Ruiter let the first goal in. He was the one geeing him up. Doing the captains job - John O'Shea turned and walked back to his starting position! Captain needs to be able to bring others on and help others through difficult games - O'Shea doesn't seem to do that whereas Cattermole does!

9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

He’s a saleable asset though mate, I’ve always backed him, always said ‘Captain and leader’, but he hasn’t been this season and he’s one of the few that can generate a quick fee.

He’s easily replaceable there are many decent holding midfielders, many with a better range of passing who’d cost far less.

I’m not saying ‘he’s gotta go’ by any means, but those are the 2 that could maybe bring in £12-14 Million and free up a huge slice of wage budget for Coleman.

Billy Death likes this.
  10. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Aye we don't need him we've got Watmore and McGeady. Seriously though we've got the flair players sorted so just solid workmanlike players that will buy into Coleman's philosophy will be fine to round out the team.

11. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

I think we'd do well to get more than 3m for Catts and 6m for Kone.

12. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Speaking of Watmore is there any news,about his knee injury as I've not heard anything.

13. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Possibly and probably but even that’s worth doing to free some budget.

14. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Moyes signing Pienaar and Gibson and the rest isn’t same as Coleman signing two young exciting talents.

I’m really looking forward to it.

Hefty fullback likes this.
  15. Burly Hurley

That's a fortune for us these days.

16. Burly Hurley

I'm not sure we've got the depth in the squad to let anyone go at the minute, unless it meant 2 out, Catts and Kone, and 4 or more in.

17. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

Christmas would come early if he can ship out Kone, JOS, Jones and Rodders. That would free-up at least 100k in wages.

****ing parasites.

clockstander likes this.
  18. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I reckon about 150K, would be a decent wedge.

Nads likes this.
  19. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Yeah closer to that, we know Kone is on 50k was well documented. Catts surely 40k mark as captain, I’d wager 35k JOS 20k Jones approx.

Daft.

I get £800 week and I’m ****ing awesome at my job. Where’s my money! Haha

20. Burly Hurley

Hell, way more than that I'd have thought mate.

Would make a hell of a difference for us tonight now.