1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic A Place to have a Moan about Anything

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by stick, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Never heard that about Meadow Court. Think he was second to Relko.
    Connaught was 2nd to Sir Ivor, and went on to win the King Edward Vii at RA and the Great Voltigeur over 12f, but probably didn't properly stay 12f. as you say. Was best as a 5yo when winning the POW at Royal Ascot for the 2nd time and the Eclipse. Tough as anything.

Not sure about your Pebbles statement. Do you mean Shadeed? There is 16 years between Connaught and Pebbles.

Roberto beat Rheingold. You mentioned Hot Grove earlier, he was 2nd to the Minstrel

2. Bustino74

Talking tosh. It wasn't Relko. They say that because it was Sea Bird. That statement makes sense.

Meadow Court went on to be a good colt and won the Irish Derby and King George. He was hot favourite for the Leger and part-owner Bing Crosby came over for the race.. It was seen as a formality. Run in atrocious conditions a horse with similar colours was about 10 lengths clear at the 2f pole and the racecourse commentary called Meadow Court as clear. But Dick Hern said 'I knew it was my colt'. Jakie Astor's Provoke came home alone at 28-1. The Meadow Court/ Prendergast team were such good sports they held their intended victory celebration for Hern's team.

3. Bustino74

I am serious about recent Derby 2nds being poor. The last good one was probably Fame and Glory and that's 2009? Before that you have to look back to Sakhee in 2000. Only these two compare with Rheingold or Connaught. Admittedly some of the 3rd weren't bad.

4. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

The only time I have been to the Derby was when Reference Point made all. I had backed him ante post at 6/1. I never even paid to get in – I was stood about twenty yards after the winning post on a road that was closed for the day. Geoff Wragg’s Most Welcome was indeed second to Henry Cecil’s colt and Jeremy Tree’s Bellotto third. Bellotto had been third in the Guineas behind Don’t Forget Me, where Most Welcome got disqualified.

I guess we all remember the Derby when we backed the runner up. Obviously Dancing Brave but more lately Rule Of Law (2004) and Sakhee (2000). Surely everyone remembers Lady Beaverbrook’s Terimon – 500/1 in 1989.

5. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Erm, weren't you a bit young in 1987, or did your papa put the bet on for you? :emoticon-0112-wonde

mallafets123 likes this.
  6. SwanHills

That was one of Piggott's daftest comments, apparently he said Meadow Court should have beaten Sea-Bird II. What a lot of baloney, Sea-Bird blitzed him in the Derby, hands and heels ridden. In the Arc of that year Sea-Bird won in the most atrocious conditions despite hanging badly left in the final stages. Meadow Court was in this top-class international field, but finished out with the washing, I believe? MC was indeed a good racehorse, but no Sea-Bird II by a long chalk.

https://www.timeform.com/horse-raci...rom-the-past-prix-de-larc-de-triomphe-2892016

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  7. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

Yes, my Dad or Grandad put my bets on. I started in 86 when I was 11.

8. Bustino74

Don't you think it was Piggott being ironic.

9. SwanHills

Bravo, I was about that age too when I started! <ok>

10. SwanHills

No, I honestly didn't. He was genuinely teed-off when I heard him tell someone this on TV, or radio maybe.

11. Bustino74

I said it made sense because if anyone has seen that Derby it appears as if Sea Bird arrives from nowhere, as if he jumped into the race at the 3f pole. To those other jockeys in the race it must have seemed they were in one race and Sea Bird was in another. An astonishing performance.

12. SwanHills

Yes, it was an astonishing performance, indeed. On the irony business, and this one is on me, I am quite useless in noticing ironic comments. Just a short while ago on this forum, a member said "Oh, the irony of it!", or something like that. I couldn't see it at all, and, in desperation, I thought I had better look under the bed and the kitchen table to see if it was there? I will continue to wear my mask, though, in the hope that it will also give me some extra protection against the many things I just do not understand in this wacky world. :emoticon-0120-doh: <yikes> :bandit:

Bustino74 likes this.
  13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sorry, I was confusing Connaught with Comanche Run, thinking of the the Champion Stakes

And I was there for both <doh>

14. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Being asked to select preferences for cookies on every ****ing website I visit

15. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

16. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

17. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

I’ll always remember the Daily Express headline on the Racing Page the day after.....”Home on a wing and a word.”
    Apparently Pat Glennon whispered in Sea Bird’s ear as they cruised to the front.

Reebok and Bustino74 like this.
  18. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Websites that have removed the scroll-bar on the right hand side of the screen in traditional (PC) web browsers because they think the whole world now uses touch screens. Particularly annoying on sites with a lot of content on one page e.g. Sporting Life racecards or oddschecker betting lists. Means I need to keep pressing the up or down arrows rather than being able to scroll with the mouse. Twats.

Resurgam likes this.
  19. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I much prefer a mouse Oddy and choose to have a better computer with no touch screen. I often find touch screens very annoying, especially on mobiles where there is no choice. I don't like people touching my screen anyhow; finger prints

Resurgam likes this.
  20. Bustino74

Yes it's a bloody nuisance whether you have a mouse or not. Can't understand getting rid of it as everything now rakes longer.