1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic A Place to have a Moan about Anything

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by stick, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

People having a habit of saying "You know what I'm saying"

I'm tempted to say "No, I'm incredibly thick"

2. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

"male, pale and stale"? Sounds more like you?

3. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

I am – but I do not work for the BBC and they are not getting rid of me for political correctness diversity box ticking purposes. Perhaps the new presenter will be Nicola Adams once she has finished on Strictly – she ticks all the boxes and the new team captains are not going to argue with an Olympic boxing champion.

Replacing all three of them may well leave them with a show that nobody is bothered about watching. The BBC is driving away their older viewers in their continuing quest to try and attract the young audience that only watch their ‘television’ on the iPlayer when there is nothing on Netflix, Amazon Prime or Apple TV+. They face an existential crisis as young people will soon not own televisions or pay licence fees and they are alienating their core audience of stay-at-home older people for whom the BBC is cheaper than Sky or BT. As one of those stay-at-home older people, I hardly watch any of their output so pay per view would cost very little.

4. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Seriously, certainly agree with many of your comments. Living in mainland Europe I subscribe to Filmon for UK Channel programmes (ITV racing especially) as I find it the most reliable, its recording facility is excellent with 11-hours of free time. Also have Amazon Prime which puts up a few excellent movies free if one catches them right! Don't have Netflix as, frankly, there's a limit to what a guy can watch in a day!

Yes, things are changing, as elderly folk like the writer gradually......... fade away! Cheers! :emoticon-0167-beer:

5. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Mark Chapman.

There is no such thing as “Superbowl runners up”. San Francisco 49ers lost last year’s Superbowl – you were there! Is this another edict from the woke brigade at the BBC to avoid hurting supporters’ feelings when their team loses? <doh>

6. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Aren't you technically the runner up when you finish 2nd at anything? Whether its the official title or not, you're still the runner up.

7. stick

stick Bumper King

I was always taught that 2nd was THE FIRST LOSER.......tough school.

8. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

Can you rattle off the names of the Derby winners....now rattle off all the runner ups?
    2nd is nowhere, especially so behind Shergar.

9. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

El Gran Senor and Dancing Brave both famously finished 2nd in the Derby

mallafets123 likes this.
  10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yep, and in the first of those I was on the 14/1 winner Secreto, and for the second, unfortunately, the most famous loser of all time

mallafets123 likes this.

11. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

True. In the FA Cup, for example, they get a runners up medal. In the Superbowl there is a quiet locker room and recriminations.

But when do you ever hear somebody say “Chelsea were runners up in this year’s FA Cup”? They would say “Chelsea lost this year’s FA Cup Final”. Perhaps the BBC have decided that they should say the former now.

So Chappers should really have said “the 49ers lost the Superbowl”. Just not lost in a Pickles the dog way.

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  12. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Remembered for finishing second in the Derby because they were famous for other reasons and it was an exception. It was El Gran Senor’s only career defeat, Dancing Brave was unbeaten at the time and only subsequently lost in the Breeders’ Cup; and they were both champion three year old in 1984/86 respectively.

13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm struggling to think of any other seconds. I was there when Piggot got up in a driving finish to win on Roberto and I think it may have been Hot Grove that was second. However I was also there to see Slip Anchor, Reference Point and Grundy (probably others) but I can't remember who they beat

14. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

Was Most Welcome 2nd to RP, I had Bellotto in 3rd.

15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Without looking it up, I can't remember mal. Don't recall Bellotto, or any others in the race. Too busy laughing our way down to the bookies from the 2 furlong pole I reckon

16. stick

stick Bumper King

Imperial Prince was second to Snow Knight, I remember because I backed both but didnt do the forecast. Grendel had the tricast.

Bustino74 and smokethedeadbadger like this.
  17. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Quite right Mal. Ajdal, that years Champion Sprinter, was unplaced.

Lots of good 2nds. Rheingold, Relkino, Connaught, Ribocco, Meadow Court.....................strangely not so many good ones recently

18. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

I remember Marju getting closest to Generous in the 1991 Derby and being some way clear of the 3rd. I think he went on to sire a few decent NH horses.

19. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

and Soviet Song

OddDog likes this.
  20. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Can't believe I forgot Rheingold. Didn't he go on to win the Irish Derby and the Arc? Who beat him in the Derby? Ribocco, of course, son of Ribot, who also produced, from the same mare, Ribero. Shame on me. Connaught I do remember (not really a 12f horse, onplaced in one of the Derbies I saw and also beaten by wonder mare Pebbles. Meadow Court, wasn't he the one that thought he'd won until it was disclosed that the winner was already in the unsaddling enclosure