1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic A Place to have a Moan about Anything

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by stick, Mar 27, 2018.

1. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

You will need something akin to a Space Suit to avoid the midges in Scotland. They will get through anything else and whatever you catch will be worse than Coronavirus. <laugh>

Reebok likes this.
  2. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

The standard of snooker on TV. Just watching Perry v Yan on Eurosport and I think I could beat either of them - ****ing useless.

redcgull likes this.
  3. Janabelle13

Janabelle13 Well-Known Member

Midges are bad but can be kept at bay using a secret weapon- Avon Skin So Softly spray - seriously it is the best thing for midge munching prevention.

QuarterMoonII likes this.
  4. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

I watched some of that last night Oddy, wasn't a great standard was it...?!?

5. OddDog

Staff Member

It was about as good as the entertainment on the other 30-odd channels here in Germany red. Fecking rubbish the lot of it. I only stopped at the snooker whilst channel hopping because the wife was in the other room. Very quickly switched off and went to YouTube. Always entertainment to be found there <ok>

LG, redcgull and Cyclonic like this.
  6. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

If you think TV is bad in Europe or the UK, you really have not seen how bad it is in the USA.

Just got back from there and it amazes me that Americans do actually put up with the levels of advertising intrusion. When channel hopping, I frequently found programs that would barely have started and they go to commercial. Also at the end of live programs they would go to commercial, come back for the host to say goodbye, run the end credits and go back to commercial. James Corden’s Late Late Show did that every night.

Late on Saturday night I found a channel showing an evening of Will Smith films. At the time I put it on they were getting towards the end of Independence Day. Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum were sat staring at the aliens, just about to make their escape. They fired their missile and when the countdown got to 9, time for a commercial break. As they fled through the alien environment pursued by the aliens, the exit door was starting to close so would they make it? Time for another commercial break... You will be relieved to hear that they did still escape just like when you first saw the film 20 odd years ago.

Some of the crap that they were advertising was unbelievable as well. It seems to be okay to advertise any old cure for any old disease provided that the voiceover reads out at breaknet pace a long list of disclaimers, like “these pills are not for anyone over the age of 55 or under the age of 60”. <laugh>

7. OddDog

Staff Member

I was in the US last week too, I only ever watch the Weather Channel <ok>

LG likes this.
  8. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Last time I was in the states every advert was about erectile dysfunction. It was most off putting.

9. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Remember the days before the internet when we were forced to watch the crap tv channels forced upon us? Horrible times. As for their advertising, they can stick their ads up their **** shute as far as I'm concerned. **** 'em all .... with a big stick. <whistle>

SwanHills and redcgull like this.
  10. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bit of a downer

Ste D likes this.

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think you're getting confused with cunnilingus

12. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Ebay’s dispute resolution service is not fit for purpose.

At the end of January, I made a purchase of an item that was offered for sale at a fixed price. The vendor had the same item available for sale in two listings; however, one was listed at £20.99 and the other at £27.99. Guess which one I selected?

I made a payment using PayPal in an identical fashion to every other payment I have ever made on Ebay using PayPal. I received an email confirming an estimated delivery date, just as normal for Ebay purchases.

The delivery estimated dates came and went and nothing arrived, so I contacted the vendor. They advised that they had not yet been paid because PayPal was paying them by “echeque”. I had not requested this method of payment, so I went onto PayPal’s website and checked. According to PayPal, payments by echeque could only be performed on accounts that had bank account details. My PayPal account only has a credit card backing it. So I surmised that the vendor was lying because they did not want to make the sale at the listed price.

I opened a dispute with Ebay on the grounds that I had not received the item that I had purchased. The vendor proved intractable, so I went into PayPal and cancelled the payment, intending to make the payment again by using a credit card directly. When I went back to the item listing, there was no way to remake the payment. So I contacted Ebay’s dispute resolution system to find out how to remake the payment. Ebay responded by closing my dispute on the grounds that I did not make the payment for the item before opening the dispute.

What actually happened was that the vendor refused to accept my payment because they did not want to sell at the agreed price. Legally, I am in the right. This automated dispute system clearly has as many flaws as a Microsoft operating system.

Ebay’s automated system sent me an email requesting my opinion on how their customer service team did. What a shame the lowest rating I could give them was 1 out of 5. They will not be publishing my response anywhere because I managed to cut the above down to less than 1,000 characters. This is the second time they have failed me – the last time I had a buyer who would not pay because they thought I was in Kingston-upon-Thames not Kingston-upon-Hull and did not fancy the 400 mile round trip to collect their item; and they got out of paying.

13. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Is Gary Lineker the biggest bell-end in the history of football punditry?

With Liverpool needing two goals in Extra Time he decides that they could still get through on penalties. How Gary? No chance of penalties because of the away goals rule you jug-eared moron. <doh>

Go back to Match Of The Day – only pays a couple of million but the Beeb are only after a name. This is not rocket science – even the Liverpool fans figured it out!

Ste D likes this.
  14. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

England Rugby Union player Joe Marler got banned for ten weeks for grabbing hold of another player’s nuts.

This in a sport where they spend half of the game in the middle of the field, in a heap, chewing each other’s ears and grabbing each other’s nuts just like they did at public school.

While Marler (sic) is self isolating, he can get around to finishing his Tenth Symphony. <laugh>

Resurgam likes this.
  15. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Funny thing is most of the players within the England squad set up now-a-days come from normal comprehensive schools, not boarders or private ones... Just saying...

16. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes, the only way it can go to penalties is if no goals are scored in extra time. In the words of the Sun "Simple". Doesn't say much for our Gary <laugh>

17. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Stupid toerags who walk past you in the street and feign to sneeze at you because they think it will make you jump. <doh>

The next stupid toerag to do that one is likely to feel a sharp pain in the area of their nose as my fist connects with it.:emoticon-0146-punch Then they will be hoping that there is some CCTV so they can make a compensation claim and complain to the police. When it comes before the Magistrates, I suspect that I will get less time in the cells than the toerag.

18. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

ooh , you going all tyson fury now ?

19. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Free to air tv is complete rubbish here as well. Personally I don't watch much television, but my wife does. Thankfully the lady prefers to stream stuff from online, especially Youtube.

It's a strange old world. The tvs have become brilliant, but the content is just as abysmal as it's ever been.

SwanHills, Chaninbar and OddDog like this.
  20. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Hardly, the feral delinquents come off the council estate down the road from me. Their parent (note the use of the singular) exercises no control over them so they roam the streets despite signs like this one that they just ignore:
    BHStayHome.jpg
    It is all just a joke to them. As well as a good old fashioned clip round the ear, most of them should be neutered or spayed as a next generation is superfluous to requirements.