1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic A Place to have a Moan about Anything

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by stick, Mar 27, 2018.

1. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

fourthed…..and someone take the German ZDF channel commentator, Béla Réthy, gift-wrapped. Many feel he is the best, I think he is the most maddening commentator I have ever heard. 90-minute history lesson as if none of us ever reads the sports news, completely forgets to commentate on the game at times, I would 'mute' the silly sod, but missus will not let me. So far he has not appeared, but he will! <laugh>
    (Better for me watching BBC and ITV on my own TV in my little so-called 'study', but can't do it all the time).

Admit to have never liked ZDF much, ARD is the best German TV channel by far. <ok>

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    bayernkenny likes this.
  2. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

When the World Cup starts all the football experts come out of the woodwork hogging the bar down the pub telling anyone who'll listen.hes one of our own.

SwanHills and karlos5001 like this.
  3. karlos5001

karlos5001 Well-Known Member

Totally agree mate. “Should have played so and so on the left, with thingy tucked in”. 3-5-1-1 never works”. I’ve heard them all. I know they are entitled to their opinion but they let everyone know, even if you are not arsed

SwanHills likes this.
  4. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

watch it in wales , we don't get many would be england managers mouthing off in public <laugh>

Deleted....... and karlos5001 like this.
  5. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

They can't sing half as well as you guys anyway"

Cyclonic and karlos5001 like this.
  6. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Agree, if only for 'Letzte Spur; Berlin' on Das Erste ......... with the seductive and delightful Josephin
    Busch!

JBh10.jpg LSr1.jpg JBh10.jpg JBh2.jpg LSr5.jpg JBh12.jpg LSr4.jpg LSr3.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    SwanHills likes this.
  7. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

I was made aware of this a few years ago, and up until then I had no idea. My Scottish gf was a rabid nationalist and both her, her family and most of the town (kilmarnock) seemed to share that hatred - or fear - that England might actually achieve something. Yet down here, if there is a Scottish (or other home nation) participation in an event we would be behind the jocks against "johnny foreigner" every day of the week!

We've never been forgiven Culloden it seems :)

Cyclonic likes this.
  8. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

Resurgam and bayernkenny like this.
  9. bayernkenny

Wash your mouth out!

10. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

The female commentator they have on ZDF is atrocious

SwanHills likes this.

11. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

New Street Station, Birmingham. I had to go to Birmingham earlier this week so got a first view of the newly revamped station. Now previously it was a horrible grotty ****hole of a place so a coat of paint would have improved it. However the refurbishment is an absolute bollock hole of a place clearly aimed at millennial hipsters. Restaurants like Mowgli with rope swing chairs. Then to cap it all it's now called Grand Central. I've been to the real Grand Central and the Brum version is absolutely poxy in camparison.

gazboy likes this.
  12. bayernkenny

Used to love the dump of a 'boozer' in the 'old' station. Well worth a couple of bourbons twixt trains from Edinburgh to B'ham and B'ham to Cheltenham! Is there still an HMV in the new shopping centre?

QuarterMoonII likes this.
  13. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Having just been down to London this past weekend I just want to ask them why oh why can they not pull a good white brimmed froth of head on a pint of bitter...?? And don't get me on the prices...!! £14.85 for a pint and a glass of wine. Costs me less than a £5 in my local...:steam: :headbang:

North /South divide, you bet there is...!!

14. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Last November, I was darn saaf on a jolly to Ascot races and we went around a few pubs and you are right: they drink their ale flat. I was in a round with two friends and three pints cost just short of £16 in one place near Waterloo station. It made Ascot look cheap. If you go to Prague, you get a metric pint (500ml) in a large tankard with a massive head but if you leave it five minutes, the head disappears. So I guess it is actually a North/Rest Of Europe divide!

I know a guy who works for Wetherspoon ‘ere up norf and when he last went down there he took a ‘sparkler’ with him from one of their pubs and the southerners refused to use it to put some life in his pint.

SwanHills likes this.
  15. bayernkenny

Up here, close to the tundra, the price of a pint or the price of a bourbon with ice and lemonade can vary greatly depending on your geographical position and the decor/clientele of the rub-a-dub. As I have not bought a pint for many, many years I can only recount my recent experiences in the purchase of Tennessee's or Kentucky's finest. In some of the 'lower' establishments in Leith I can get my short for £2.50 whereas 'up the toon' I can 'swipe' away in excess of £10; this of course includes sinking into a comfy settee in comfortable surroundings as opposed to a urine smelling dump where the wrong glance can result in an altercation with some drugged up *****r!

I cannot believe that Edinburgh is any different from any other town or city in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in this aspect.

16. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Here in Berlin a half litre of Bier (close enough to a pint for comparison purposes) costs somewhere between €3 and €4,50 in bars and restaurants (unless they are either very dodgy or very swanky). I buy half-litre bottles of Swanny's favourite beer, Tegernseer Spezial, for €1,09 per bottle from the local off-licence. A crate of 20 including depost sets me back €23 and it is debateable as to whether it will last a week.

SwanHills, gazboy and bayernkenny like this.
  17. bayernkenny

Possibly steeper prices at both lower and higher limits for 0,5l of beer in Munich's few 'kneipe' and numerous beerhalls; SH to confirm or dispute.

Everytime I visit a branch of Rewe during the final days of my extended stays I am almost in tears. By this time I am practising abstinence so the price of Weissbier (Erdinger, Franziskaner, Weihenstephaner etc) drives me f****n' nuts.

gazboy likes this.
  18. gazboy

gazboy Well-Known Member

Well I had a great evening with WEST hedieweisse for £4.85/pint and £9.99 for a bottle of prosecco for the Mrs and a roof terrace to sit on! Not long after having to concede the pavement to an unrelenting cyclist whilst out for a run! YES I ran on the road, into the traffic and not even an acknowledgement of my risk to life! Next time the 5 year old is going into the hedges!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. gazboy

gazboy Well-Known Member

We went thru for the Cross Country and popped into the North British and "my treat" a large red and a pint was c.£20 "get me to Leith" was the cry <diva>

bayernkenny likes this.
  20. £3.75 for a decent pint of London Pride in Soho last night. And then a very passable gig at the 100 Club. Not a lot wrong with London when the evening goes like that!

SwanHills and bayernkenny like this.