1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic A Place to have a Moan about Anything

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by stick, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Have you tried writing to the company with a CV and reasons for wanting to work with them? Or gone to their website to see if they have a contact?

2. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

same as agencies in construction , parasites, pimps , add nothing , take plenty , you have to ask how the conditions were created for them to have these pivotal roles , a tax on a worker .... in construction they help keep organised labour at bay , casualisation and low wages ..... they not only take a cut from the employer , they take money from workers via payment companies and ruinous agreements , false self employment , umbrella companies etc ..........what a way to live !

Chaninbar and Ron like this.
  3. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Goddamn time and motion study people, who mostly don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Quite truthfully, we often got pretty bloody busy during a drilling operation, and in all modesty, we did know what we were doing. Then for a week, sometimes, we had these clowns buzzing around like mosquitoes. Very annoying, don't recall them ever contributing much to the improvement in basic procedures.

rudebwoy, Chaninbar and Ron like this.
  4. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

As I said Ron I do all I can to ascertain the company so I can apply direct but sometimes that isn't possible unfortunately.

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I assumed you had Chan but just thought I'd check <ok>

Chaninbar likes this.
  6. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Cold-callers - one we keep getting is always the same - some Indian woman saying she works for "Windows" and they have detected a security issue with our PC.

My wife has resorted to just hanging up whereas I politely tell her the company that makes Windows is Microsoft before launching into a rant.

7. OddDog

Staff Member

I had a good one the other morning too - cycling to work through a small village close to our facility. Very quiet main street, speed limit 50 kph, no marked cycle path so I am cycling on the road at around 30kph. Suddenly a car overtakes me and the guy shouts through the window something along the lines of "get off the road and on the cycle path". My observation that there wasn't a marked cycle path and he wasn't the Lord Mayor didn't seem to placate him and he continued his rant whilst driving along next to me. Having lost patience I told him to go **** himself, at which point he sped off up the road, turned into the next street, stopped his car and got out - big German lad, skinhead. I stopped and he informed me that he didn't appreciate my choice of words. I asked him what he expects, when I am doing nothing wrong and get abuse from him from his car. He says he was just trying to give me some advice. So I ask what advice? I was cycling perfectly legally on the road, doing absolutely nothing wrong. At which he replied "You bloody cyclist get on my nerves" <laugh>

gazboy, Reebok, SwanHills and 2 others like this.
  8. rudebwoy

strange isn't it , just by cycling it seems to anger those in a motor vehicle , be good when fuel runs out !

Chaninbar, SwanHills and OddDog like this.
  9. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Bloody cyclists, they think they own the road. And what right do they have to spout off at drivers who's only concern is the welfare of the ignorant dick on the bike. <laugh>

gazboy likes this.
  10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Fight <laugh>

11. rudebwoy

indeed , it's funny how most car occupants feel safe in their micro shell , on a cycle you are acutely aware of vulnerability and your behaviour is often driven by self preservation , hence the term defensive riding , where you take a primary position on the road to stop being close passed , forced into gutter / kerb / pothole , i see many new cyclists who hug the side of the road , erroneously thinking they are safer !

12. OddDog

Staff Member

Riding close to parked cars (in the "door zone") is one of the most dangerous things a cyclist can do. I have the scars on my wrist from 4 operations to prove it.

Cyclonic and rudebwoy like this.
  13. rudebwoy

indeed oddy , a hard lesson to learn , so keeping three feet is essential , which of course puts you in the middle of the road , and unthinking car people proclaiming " how much room do you want , think you own the road "
    For me it's self preservation every time , if that means a motorist is delayed for a few seconds so be it !

OddDog likes this.
  14. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

In my wildest dreams I did not envisage the 'war' between motorists and cyclists would be brought into my living room.

I believe that the participants in and supporters of both forms of perambulation should join together and start assassinating these f****rs who walk aimlessly staring, as if in a drug induced trance, at the screens on their mobile telephones and other modern devices.

Yours.

Ebr. Scrooge.

Scr1.jpg

Cyclonic, OddDog and rudebwoy like this.
  15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have no problem with cyclists or horses and always slow down, indicate and give them a wide berth

I think, maybe, the people who have no patience could be taking the view that cyclist and horses don't pay road tax. In France no one pays road tax so that wouldn't apply here

I presume that cyclists and horses have some law that gives them as much right to be on the road as a vehicle; they were there first

People in parked cars or who pull in and throw their doors open without thinking are a bloody pest and shouldn't be allowed to drive

16. rudebwoy

indeed ron , people don't pay road tax here either , haven't done for decades but like a lot of misnomers they carry on with proclaiming it as it suits their prejudicial view , for the record it's an emission tax for vehicles , hence electric ones dont pay either . Pedestrians , cyclists and horses do have an inalienable right to use the public highway , motorists are there by permission ( license ) which of course can be revoked . An uncomfortable truth for a minority who think otherwise, and car culture generally reinforces that attitude , perhaps all drivers need to spend a year on probation with a moped , will give them great awareness and a taste of vulnerability whilst educating them about road sense !

17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

When I used to ride a bike (as a youngster) there weren't many cars around <laugh>

18. rudebwoy

weren't many cyclists either , more today than since just after the war , and most are leisure rather than commuters , i rode to school every day in the sixties , the road was busy even then , but never felt threatening , was i unaware ? It's funny , i get people asking why i don't wear a helmet , i tell them because cycling is not dangerous , and after 52 years of it i'm not going to change. You won't see many dutch people with helmets , or lycra for that matter !

19. SimonJ

SimonJ Well-Known Member

20. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

Most annoying thing about cyclists is most of them just cycle through a red light and often mount the pavement. Whilst all other forms of transport wait for the red light to change to green! These cyclists are a law unto themselves often irresponsibly weaving in and out of traffic at rush hour. Common sense really should be thats not a safe thing to do!