1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic A Place to have a Moan about Anything

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by stick, Mar 27, 2018.

1. stick

stick Bumper King

Similarly, and not wishing to come across as homophobic, but why was Crufts presented by Claire Balding and Alan Carr? A gay man and a woman, not sure in which order. Please, why? Don't we have any straight presenters? This is surely unrepresentative of the population.

Kodiac's Front likes this.
  2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I know some of the dog handlers are gay (I used to exhibit afghan hounds and there were/are a few there - well known to everyone in the breed) but I suspect one would find more gays in rugby. Does she commentate on/present rugby by any chance?

To be fair though stick she is good at her job; she's everywhere

3. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

There was one occasion during coverage when there were 6 people on the "sofa" and Alan Carr commented on it being a gay-in or something similar. It certainly isn't representative of the nation as a whole, but maybe it IS representative of showbiz, or TV. More than once I have wondered if it is mandatory to getting a job in the entertainment industry!

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nothing against gays but what I do object to is having it thrown in your face on just about every TV soap/series. Can't think of one where they don't have blokes falling for each other and even kissing FFS. Not in my face thank you and especially when I'm having a meal. I've had enough and can't watch any more just in case. I mean, there is no warning is there. But if there is going to be a program with some bare boobs it warns they will be some nudity (or is that just to let me know it's worth watching?)

5. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

Know what you mean Ron. Can't turn on the telly these days without having Alan Carr rammed down your throat <laugh>

karlos5001 likes this.
  6. gazboy

gazboy Well-Known Member

This political correctness will be the end of us all! Society has deteriorated since teachers lost control of the class room, parents gave up parenting but gained child allowance! Police lost control of the streets to the scooter gangs! Bring on Brexit, show me your passport :emoticon-0136-giggl:emoticon-0136-giggl

7. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

When you get back to your hotel room at 3.30pm and they are servicing your room so you have to sit and wait in the lobby.

8. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

My fiver would be on Trump and Putin.

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just tell her you're taking a shower. If she comes in ............ BOOM

10. gazboy

gazboy Well-Known Member

When you were at school there were always two guys that said "I'm gonna" they never did!

11. OddDog

Staff Member

She‘d rip me to pieces by the look of her Ron <laugh>

Ron likes this.
  12. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

This isn't for a black eye though Gaz. I do hope your right but those 2 sure scare the **** out of me. And that other prick from Korea has been quiet recently. That won't last long he'll want some air time soon no doubt.

stick and Ron like this.
  13. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

For political correctness purposes, the concept of being representative of the population went out the window years ago.

A quick look at the last census tells us that the UK population contains just under 7 per cent people of Asian ethnicity (mostly from the sub-continent Commonwealth countries) and under 3.5 per cent black people. So it would seem that both of these groups are over presented in the visual media.
    There are no official statistics for how many people are not heterosexual (sexuality currently being proposed as a new question for the 2021 census) but the estimate from the Office for National Statistics in 2016 from the Annual Population Survey concluded that 93 per cent identified as heterosexual whilst only 2 per cent were not. I think we can see that the LGB crowd are massively over represented in the visual media.

Most people would not be bothered about levels of representation if everybody obtained their position thanks to talent rather than political correctness.

For UK City of Culture in 2017, the BBC in Hull appointed a young black man from outside the city as their Face of Hull 2017. When the city was at its prime back in the days of the deep sea fishing industry, I think there were as many black men putting to sea as there were in the Black and White Minstrel Show.

14. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

And another thing ..........................

Garlic.

I know many will see me as a dinosaur of the stick-in-the-mud, afraid of change, little Englander variety, yet growing up this nasty little herb NEVER featured in anything I ate. I didn't even know what it was until my late teens! And I hate it - no - detest it, cannot stand even the smell of someone else's garlic infested meal.

Now, I'll say this first - I KNOW that it was in many kitchens in the middle ages, so it isn't a new introduction. And the likelyhood of it being part of a "foreign" dish is taken as granted, and I have no issue with that.

What I do object to, is food which I consider as traditionally English is now being infused with this odious bulb. I do very little cooking (can't cook, won't cook) so rely quite heavily on supermarket ready meals, but even when buying something simple like potato au gratin, as soon as you open it up, the garlic stink hits hard. Looking at the packaging, yes - there in the small print ingredients, you find garlic puree. The latest one was a fish pie. A fish pie ffs!! It has no right to be there!

Just to stress a point - I have tried quite a few meals which include garlic, including a curry (once) and concluded that I don't like them/it. Yet I am being force fed (haha) by the garlic saboteurs determined that I MUST have it, no matter what. It's good for you, I hear you say. Not good for my nerves it isn't.

At least garlic bread is labelled for what it is, this underground infiltration just gets on my wick!

QuarterMoonII and Chaninbar like this.
  15. OddDog

Staff Member

You should be more worried about hidden sugar and flavor enhancers reebs you big girls blouse <laugh>

gazboy and Reebok like this.
  16. OddDog

Staff Member

Not a moan as such, but if both Red Bull teams (Salzburg and Leipzig) progress in the Europa League and end up playing each other, might there be influence exerted by the drinks manufacturer?

17. Kodiac's Front

Kodiac's Front Active Member

I thought there was already a rule prohibiting "linked clubs" (for lack of a better term) both competing in European competitions during the same season. Them drawing each other would certainly put Eufa in an awkward situation either way.

OddDog likes this.
  18. OddDog

Staff Member

Fortunately it won’t happen

19. OddDog

Staff Member

Loud-mouthed American ****S who just come and sit right next to you at the bar and then start talking really loudly on their cell phone right next to you so you can’t hear yourself ****ing think. ****ER.

karlos5001 and Cyclonic like this.
  20. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sounds like that just happened Oddy

karlos5001 and Cyclonic like this.