1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

A Month of Nass

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by NassauBoard, Jun 23, 2019.

1. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

So the thread ends on -19pts for the month, but I think the thread has really helped me come to a point!!

That point is that I don't enjoy flat racing (apart from the pinnacle races) and the racing has far too many unfathomables for me. If its not false going reports, its the non runners that the 48 hour declaration system causes. Its the linking of formlines from Northern tracks and those in the South, its the different courses, different stalls positions. Its the changing faces of flat racing, be it jockeys, trainers and most importantly horses.

This last month has taught me one thing, when you take some time away from a version of the sport, it is really hard to get back into it!! and that for me gives a major opportunity, the opportunity not to need to look at each days racing.

So if the forum doesn't get bored of these ramblings, I am going to restart my All Weather ventures, with a new thread for racing that starts on Saturday at Newcastle, and will venture around the all weather tracks for the next month.

2. stick

stick Bumper King

The Cruising Lord in at Ascot on Friday

3. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

If he goes there though will they be going all out for a victory or will it be an exercise to lower his perch?!? It’s only a £50k event as well. Would they want to rule him out of handicaps in the short/medium term with a victory later this week?!?

Re this ‘trial’ I think it has been most worthwhile and as I’ve said before threads like this are surely the natural successor to the ‘Daily Thread’.

Grendel likes this.
  4. stick

stick Bumper King

I know the yard quite well Barney and I dont think they will be holding back.

Sir Barney Chuckles likes this.
  5. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

Win or lose it was a great thread. I enjoyed reading the selections and peoples input/own selections. It just shows how hard the game is and selecting every day is difficult. I have had plenty of **** picks and long runs without a winner this season. My highlight was probably managing to pick five selections on a Saturday and get four winners and a second place out of it but overall it's very tough. There are injuries, changed plans, changed going that make betting early dangerous and then on the day there can be a bad draw, bad jockeyship or bad luck getting in the way of success. Then we have horses simply running stinkers for no reason and all of that before we take into account that we just picked the wrong horse for whatever failed reasoning we had.

I backed Mark Johnston's Fred on/ his debut, figuring the Frankel horse would not need to be special to win. He stank the place out, running to a Racing Post Rating of just 25. I thought WTF was that. As ever Fred comes out next time and wins at 5/1 before following up at 2/1 next time under a 6 lbs penalty. He was rated 80 for both wins so what is the story with running to 25 when he was favourite at Ayr on debut? Usually the scenario is that connections can offer no explanation and the vet reports no abnormalities, so it's basically tough titty for anyone who watched their horse run like a drain.

We must all be mad backing in this Sport with so many factors against us. I've lost count of how many of my picks have gone on to win next time out this season with no burden of my selection on their back. I'll perhaps take a look back and list the "Rogues" out of interest.

Good luck with the next thread.

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well you did pick some of the most difficult races Nass. I doubt anyone could have made a profit over the month on those races, unless they had a stroke of luck. Sticking to the AW does give you some advantages, the main problem being horses making their debut on the surface and having to second guess whether that will bring about improvement or lower their handicap before returning to the turf. When I did my £10k Betting Bank trials I found myself spending a lot of time (a lot of which ended up in eliminating races). On the third trial I started to lose patience and got more speculative; and stopped before I lost any money. A lot of dedicated time and effort needs to go in to have any chance of making a profit. I just don't have the time any more.

Good luck with your new thread. Looking forward to it and thanks for this one. <cheers>

redcgull and rudebwoy like this.
  7. morky

morky Active Member

What chance the cruising lord today stick?

8. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

I know sod all about flat racing and no idea regarding TCL's chances today. However I did watch a bit of The Opening Show this morning. TCL's jockey (Mr Minarak) was interviewed and he said though he'd never actually ridden at Ascot he has 'ridden' the course a fair bit on the PlayStation <doh>. All the very best if you wager on this one today.

NassauBoard likes this.
  9. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Wins with his 1st ride and placed with his 2nd. Lump on the PlayStation king.