1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

A Millwall fan's view of The North, Hull City and The KC Stadium

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by DaveBambersPostman, Dec 20, 2011.

1. DaveBambersPostman

2. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

It's all true and I couldnt have written it better myself.

3. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Apart from us not doing 'mauled', not playing music when we score and failing to mention that no ****er from Millwall even bothered to turn up, he's bang on. <laugh>

4. Ambraneri

Ambraneri Well-Known Member

Cheeky bastard.

You'd think Sarf Landan was a utopian paradise inhabited by a purer,more superior class of human being...

It's no better than jolly old Hull,but my friend,our football team is superior,as Saturday's result proved.

Good luck in your fight for the mid-table obscurity.

5. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

In a certain condescending way he is not far from the truth I guess.

6. whitehurst

whitehurst Member

Times and cultures change,a fact of life.Personally I don't miss those times but I can see why people do. When I try to look back at Boothferry in my early days I can't see past wading through piss to have a piss,those days are over I'm afraid and I for one don't miss them.

7. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

HCO have posted a response to the article...

Two issues I take with this article:

1. He classes all the fans in the KC Stadium as the Sky banter plastic fan brigade. Many of the 4000 fans who attended City games at Boothferry Park 15 years ago are still there, I&#8217;m one of them, and I enjoyed a few pre-match beers with family and ignore the banal banter of the phone-ins and interviews. However there&#8217;s now an additional 10,000 who will attend football in a more pleasant environment. Football can include those people too. Such progress doesn&#8217;t have to be at the exclusion of the die-hards, it&#8217;s about finding a way to cater for both. Giving local thugs free tickets, as suggested, will not improve the atmosphere for anyone.

2. How can a Millwall fan complain about the atmosphere when there were a couple of hundred of them dotted around the North Stand on Saturday?

8. The FRENCH TICKLER

The FRENCH TICKLER Well-Known Member

well said.

those in glass houses should not throw stones should they ? :emoticon-0102-bigsm

9. Ambraneri

Ambraneri Well-Known Member

Outnumbered by the choir singers....

The extra 10,000 have also come along due to the club's success as well...I was chatting to an old work colleague outside the east stand on Saturday and I remember him slagging off City all the time a decade or so ago....now,season ticket holder....

There was once a circular argument that a lot of people go to football because a lot of people go to football...it's true in City's case as the popularity of the club increased due to the KC move and the subsequent promotions....

10. FLG

FLG Well-Known Member

Pretty ironic really as The New Den was pretty much the first of the new 'identikit' stadia, I know I worked on the building of it.

I'm going to tell this story again as I never tire of it when Millwall fans have a go.

When the New Den was being built and the footings were being dug for the support steel, there were were 4 steel erectors from Leeds who each had a **** in the four corners of the ground.

To be honest, the whole area round the ground is a ****-hole.

11. Enfield_Tiger

Enfield_Tiger Member

Or to translate the article...
    "I didn't go on Saturday to watch the game, it was too cold and my ma had not brewed a flask of Darjeeling for me. So throw in a few stereotypes about northerners, oh and I've read that they recently moved to a new ground (ignoring the fact that it was 9 years ago), so I can pick on that trait. Then after all that, use 1 sentence to mention the game which I didn't attend to create the cover story"

Not one to be taken at all seriously then!

12. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Well-Known Member

The comment about Stoke being an exception to the Murdoch Empire is bollocks and all. Their fanbase wasn't wasn't up to much in the championship.

Other than that good article and i enjoyed reading it.

13. DaveBambersPostman

That was basically where I was coming from though.

Millwall seem to have some sort of inverted snobbery thing going on nowadays.

Their area of London is absolutely awful beyond belief. I've been there. More like Berlin in 1945 than a modern European city in that sector of London. How you can insult the City of Hull when you write for a 'paper' that covers the Millwall area.... it just beggars belief. I suppose they are clutching at straws trying to make themselves feel better.

Their ground is fairly modern too and lacks any character (like a crap mini version of Ibrox) and has individual stands which don't help with atmos/crowd noise.

As for 'Good Old Grim Northern Boothferry Park' vs The 'Shiny Plastic New KC'? Well Fer Ark was a total 5hit hole. (Sorry, but it's true.)

Rubbish atmosphere in the South Stand, rubbish tiny seats and atmosphere in the West Stand, the West Stand 'Well' was also a joke when it was open. The North Stand was being knocked down by the time I went to my first game to be replaced by a Grandways ffs! The toilets were shocking.
    The place seemed to lack light bulbs so that in winter you couldn't see where the hell you were walking. Although it was generally into a puddle of pee or a dog turd.

The only bit of that ground with some atmosphere was the East Stand/Kempton. From which the view was obscured by stupid steel supports and there always seemed to be a mentally deranged drunk guy, screaming and spitting in my ear all match. Plus the roof leaked. And did I mention the whole place was a miserable 5hit hole with no facilities?

Thank god for the KC and more modern stadiums. The atmosphere is not what we would like it to be, sure. But standing was abolished in modern stadia for a reason.

If designated 'safe' standing areas come back, well that might not be a bad thing - if done properly and safely. It could be the answer to the lack of atmos.

I love the way he acknowledged the Stoke City fans as apparently being the only other true fans apart from the Holy Millwall clan. But up till the point of their promotion, they were all staying away!

They are also acknowledged amongst many (including their own kind - a mate of mine is a 'Potter') to be infected by an unhealthy % of drunken violent idiots who are always looking for a fight. Lovely eh?

What I will say for them, is that Stoke manage a decent atmos at their home games. Without any standing areas in a modern ground. And for that at least are an example to us all.

14. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Milwall. :grin::grin::grin:

FFS, the area's so **** even the rufty toughty dockers have legged it to slightly less ****ty holes. :emoticon-0102-bigsm:emoticon-0102-bigsm

Their 'plucky' ancestors must be spinning at the pearly gates. :angel:

15. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Talking to a mate in Stoke who confirmed my view that the atmosphere thing at Stoke's a media myth.

16. TIGERS3

TIGERS3 Member

Stoke had a new ground before us and so did Millwall, can't really see his point. As someone who lived South of London for many years and visited the old Den a few times the guys got a bloody cheek, it was **** then and still is.

17. IvyTigerUTT

IvyTigerUTT Member

He's just angry at the result.

18. TrickyDickyHullCity

Really do have to question if this chap attended Saturdays victory over that lot . I didn,t see many flys out (a tad nippy) which in turn reduced to a handful those willing to don their colours . More North Face , Berghaus Scott of the Antarctic types than you can shake a stick at round me . Admittedly some plump ones , me included. If Millwall as a club is what he believes we should all aspire to then he can do one . As for the message board point he maybe should have popped into Eagle or Cod for a chat with the punters for a real feel of Northern hospitality . Then again he didn't did he I wonder why .

19. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Is that cheeky fooker suggesting the KC isnt full of rough old people?! Bastid!

20. SteelCityTiger

Spot on about Stoke I dont get where all that bollocks comes from. We were getting bigger crowds in our promotion season from Division three than they were getting in the championship!!