1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

A look ahead at free transfers

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by The Secret Ingredient, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Secret Ingredient

The Secret Ingredient Well-Known Member

interesting article http://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2011/12/06/a-look-ahead-at-free-transfers/

this is just a small segment of it covering the players available for free in the summer so a cheeky bid in Jan might land us a bargain.
    left the goalies out as i feel we're covered in this area but they're in the main article (see link) here's the rest <ok>.these are the writer of the article choices is there anyone you can think of or know of that would be a better free signing.here's mine available now (just back from injury) :)

Fode Mansare <ok>

Full back:

We can have a bit of fun here, as we don&#8217;t just need cover, we need competition in the starting line up. That said, players like Eric Abidal and Jose Bosingwa would be too expensive for us and they will be looking for Champions League footy.

1) Felix Bastians, 23, German, playing for SC Freiburg. He began his career as a trainee with Nottingham Forest so is a fluent English speaker. Valued at £4m, he has a great left foot and is primarily a wing back, however he has immense versatility and can cover centre back, the dedicated full back position and winger with ease. He has good right foot too, so can be used on either side. With age on his side, he will only get better.

2) Maynor Figueroa, 28, Honduran, playing for Wigan Athletic. Regarded as one of the best in the league, he would provide us with solidity in this position. He has pace and will get forward, also capable of covering in the middle if required. Valued at just short of £5m, we would do well to get him this January on the cheap before his contract expires.

3) Mario Gaspar Pérez, Age 21, Spanish, playing for Villareal. An up and coming right back, he is fast gaining a reputation as an impending star. He is steady, quick and is not afraid to get forward and have a shot. Young enough to change his style slightly to adjust to the Premier League and could grow with the club into a real force of the future.

Centre Back:

With the performances Colo and Taylor have put in, we should be considering them our preferred partnership next season if fit. They are as good a pairing as anybody at our level. However, I still think we should be looking at a top quality player to fill in. Injuries and suspensions mean any newcomer will get a lot of games and a fair opportunity to make the shirt their own. Simon Kjaer of Roma almost made my list, but I think he is destined for greater things in the short term.

1) Gary Cahill, 25, English, playing for Bolton. I know, I know, Spurs and other elite clubs will be after this lad so the competition may be too strong. However, Newcastle are still a big draw for somebody coming from the likes of Bolton and we may be able to offer European football next season. He would have a good opportunity of claiming a shirt for his own in front of 52,000 loyal fans week in, week out and would be able to stay in the North with us. Being Yorkshire born this could well suit him. We are a club on the up and I reckon we could convince him if we tried hard enough.

2) Sebastian Prodl, 24, Austrian, playing for Werder Bremen. At 6&#8217;4&#8243; he is a big unit. He can play holding midfielder if we ever got stuck too. Young enough to improve further, he would have time to adjust to the Premier League. 29 caps for his Country shows he already has top level experience. This season he has been hampered with a torn buttocks muscle. He has a bit of history with injury problems, but if he can overcome that he could become a very good defender. Worth a punt on a free.

3) Hedwiges Maduro, 26, Dutch, playing for Valencia. Worth £3.5m, I&#8217;d consider him a steal at that price so as a free he would be exceptional business. He has won the league with Ajax many times and chips in with the odd goal. He is impressive as a right back, but comfortable too as a central defender or holding midfielder. He would be a great option in our squad and is a born winner, a mentality that would compliment our boys thinking well.

4) Douglas Franco Teixeira, 23, Brazilian born with Dutch citizenship. Playing for FC Twente. Four players have to go into this list because we may need two in this department and there are so many good free options out there. This bloke is one of the best young defenders in Europe. Commanding, good timing, would be a great signing. Currently worth £7.5m.

Winger:

Again, no reason why an incoming winger cannot compete for a place in the starting 11. With Sylvain Marveaux looking like an injury prone player and Gabriel Obertan not looking consistent, there is an opportunity for somebody here. There was a couple of winger come strikers that I was tempted to include here, but I think Pardew wants his wingers to be able to defend a bit so it has influenced my choices.

1) Tranquillo Barnetta, Age 26, Swiss, playing for Bayer 04 Leverkusen. We have previously been linked with this player so most of you will know him. With his contract up soon, he will probably be linked with us again. He is left footed and very good technically, albeit his goal and assist ratios are not exactly mind blowing. He offers great protection going back though and would give us tremendous depth. He has sat out this season with a knee injury but is due back in the new year.

2) Chori Castro, 27, Uruguayan, playing for Mallorca. He is a creative left winger worth over £5m, with an average of one goal every five games. He can be a little greedy at times but will produce the goods with a little bit of magic given half a chance. Not the most defensive minded either, so his tackling could be a worry but he is not afraid to get back if needs be. A bit of the Pardew magic and he could work well for us.

3) Somen Tchoyi, 28, Cameroonian, playing for West Bromwich Albion. Primarily a powerful right winger, he can be used across the midfield. Not been in great form this season, however on his day he is unplayable. Don&#8217;t believe me? Remember the game at St James&#8217; Park against West Brom that we drew despite winning 3-0 at one stage? He got a hat-trick in the last 30 minutes.

Striker:

1) David Hoilett, 21, Canadian/Jamaican, playing for Blackburn Rovers. One of the most promising young forwards in Europe, he is direct, strong, a good finisher and knows how to direct a header. Similar type of player to Daniel Sturridge, he can play on the wing and is good with both feet. His style would compliment Ba&#8217;s and I have no doubt a move for him would pay off for him and Newcastle United. Get him signed up!

2) Jefferson Farfan, 27, Peruvian, playing for FC Schalke. Again can play on the wing, but better off as a striker. Lightning fast, he will get you a goal or an assist for every two games. Fantastic return and powerful. Would suite this league well. He only just made this list as I think there will be some big sides looking for his signature, but again we are a big club on the up and may just be in with a shout if we recognise that putting our hands in our pockets occasionally will take us to the next level.

3) Andy Johnson, 30, English, playing for Fulham. OK, so he&#8217;s not the right age. However, he is a natural poacher, which is something we don&#8217;t have. Due to his in-the-box abilities, we don&#8217;t need to worry about him losing a yard of pace over the next couple of seasons. He is a proven goalscorer in the Premier League and I reckon he would find a move to us too good to turn down at his stage of his career. He&#8217;d mop up those stray balls from Shola&#8217;s crossbar/upright strikes faster than you can say &#8216;GOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!!!!!&#8217;.

2. je ne sais quoi

David Hoilett please.

3. The Secret Ingredient

like the sound of this lad Hedwiges Maduro

4. Gutierrez's Right Boot

Gutierrez's Right Boot Well-Known Member

Bastian sounds a good one to look at

5. ----------------Ba--------------------

Jonas----------HBA--------------Hoillet

-----Tiote----------Cabaye-----------

<party>

6. overseasTOON

overseasTOON Active Member

I'd happily have Felix Bastians and I'd been mentioning him all summer as a replacement for Enrique but I think there is more chance of Pieters being signed.

Maybe sign up both... too greedy?

7. The Secret Ingredient

not at all we need cover for that area and the likes of Hedwiges Maduro and Felix Bastions could be the type of signings we might look at in future players that can cover a number of positions ala perch just not ****

8. my name is jonas

a good read, but a torn buttock (prodl)? not sure what to make of that.

actually i've just decided I'm quite hungry. not too sure what to make of that either

9. You'veBeenTiote'd

You'veBeenTiote'd Active Member

If we could only take one from each category, i'd take, Bastians, Maduro, Tchoyi (even though he has terrible control, i'd rather he played for us than against us!) and Farfan!

10. Ameobi's Apprentice

Ameobi's Apprentice Active Member

Pérez
    Douglas
    Farfan
    Hoilett
    Cahill
    Barnetta

Just them please .. <whistle>

11. The Secret Ingredient

totally forgot about welliton

also brown from celtic but who cares

12. The Wilde one

The Wilde one Member

Maynor Figueroa is shocking, please no. Even Wigan fans know he's ****.

13. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

Didn't know our injury problem was that bad.

14. The Secret Ingredient

also these guys

Salomon Kalou
    Hugo Rodallega
    Mohamed Diamé
    Royston Drenthe
    Darron Gibson
    Fitz Hall
    Dedryck Boyata
    Patrick van Aanholt
    Ryan Noble

15. Paco Montoya

Paco Montoya Active Member

Come on Jefferson Farfan :D

16. Smudger

Smudger Active Member

Drenthe yes please!

17. The Secret Ingredient

18. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Guest

Diame, PVA and Drenthe please!

EDIT: Thought Paddy had signed a new deal earlier in the summer?

19. The Situation

The Situation Active Member

Someone inform Pardew of this list!

20. 5 Goals 1 Hat Trick 11 Heroes-NUFC4LIFE

I hate how we know that the club will be looking to sign freebies and players for very small fees even though we've spent next to nothing of the 35m we got for Carroll.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.