1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

6 points from 10th spot?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Cest Advocaat, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

There is no way, the way results have fallen in recent weeks, that anyone from 10th place downwards can sleep easy for the next 17 games. Its tighter than a Scottish spendthrifts ring piece in the league this season and we are just as likely to finish top 10 as we are to be relegated. Its going to about who can keep their nerve from here on in and its evident that Gus is getting his message over about how he wants us to play.

Players like Johnson, Borini and Ki have started the new year looking on fire and the Villa game apart, our festive return was quite good. We have had our rotten run and yet still find ourselves within a couple of games off a very respectable league place and with the majority of our bottom 10 rivals still to play

Great result today and great performance. 2 or 3 new faces in this next 2 weeks and we could turn this season right on it head in the next 3 or 4 games. Southampton and Stoke at home and Man Utd away in the cup.

Wouldnt it be lovely to be able to sing about a Wembley Cup Final at our next league away match? :smiley-finger007:

2. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Yes but ALL the pundits will tell you only WBA have escaped relegation when being bottom at Christmas, I think we will be well out of it come May. happy days.

3. Red and White Trev

Just put this on another thread but its well placed here.

Just imagine, this could still be our best Premier League season.
    Imagine finishing in midtable and winning a cup final.

It is still possible and I would not be suprised.

4. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

If we hadnt given every other team about a 6/7 point head start due to the early season turmoil/fiasco we would be giggling inanely!

5. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Yeh and why not there lot. Worse than us the bottom.

6. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

If the pundits said it had never happened it might have some credibility ...... after this season they'll have to say. "Well it's only happened twice."

It's all bollocks tbh.

7. safc1978

safc1978 Well-Known Member

I said a few days ago the next 5 league games could make or break our season.
    Fulham being the first of the 5.

If we can get a result against Southampton by this time next week we could be out if the bottom 3.

8. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We'd better. I made a £10 bet with my mate that we'll be out of the bottom 3 by the end of January. It's looking promising at the minute.

9. Cest Advocaat

The thing with the so called experts is all they use is historical evidence which has no bearing on a current situation. Of all the teams that failed to survive, how many went to a relegation rival in January and win 1-4? How many played with the control and authority as we did today.

We've al seen relegated Sunderland teams in the past and this one just doesn't have relegation written in it IMO. That's not to say we wont be but with only 6 points separating 11th from 19th, this is far from over.

That was a Gus Poyet team today playing his brand of football and I loved it.

10. Smug in Boots

We're ****ing relegation experts and should be consulted by the pundits every season.

I've said from day one that there's a great team hiding in that squad ............... today it showed it's face <laugh>

11. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

It will be added too as well by poyet who knows what he is doing.

12. Lostinvegas

Lostinvegas Well-Known Member

Well its like today all the pundits on Soccer Saturday said we would lose apart from LeTis who said we would draw 1-1. They all know f all.

13. Smug in Boots

Correct.

Anyone who takes any ****ing notice of 'Merse & Lawro' should give their ****ing heads a shake <doh>

**** players, like them, have lost millions betting on football results.

14. calmcumbrian

calmcumbrian Well-Known Member

In years to come,they will be saying that only two teams have not been relegated from this position......we are certain to keep our premier league status under Gus!!!

15. Cest Advocaat

We could all write an encyclopedic sized thesis and gain an Oxford PhD majoring in relegated football teams. We have all seen plenty of hapless relegated teams in years gone by but under Gus, this is not even remotely anything like one. That said I'm not ruling it out as we still have to get the points on board but it has too much about it for me to go down. I dont see any of the teams above us to 10th going away from home and winning 4-1 for a start.

16. Smug in Boots

Only supporters without our experience would believe they're safe at this stage.

Hull supporters were all over our board, thinking they were safe, and are now ****ting their Tiger-pants.

17. calmcumbrian

calmcumbrian Well-Known Member

We will stay up....there is no danger....we will be talking at the end of the season about how low we got,but how good a side we are...relegation is out of the question!

18. Smug in Boots

I've been saying for a while, and been ridiculed, that this could be a season to remember for years to come.

OK, let people laugh at me but we could end the season with safety, Wembley and the double over the Mags.

Would anyone on these boards have turned that down in August ........... would they **** <laugh>