1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic 50 years ago today...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Ernie Shackleton, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

The Ross Cleveland sank.

I am going over. We are laying over. Help me. I am going over. Give my love and the crew's love to the wives and families.

— Phil Gay, skipper of the Ross Cleveland

We will not forget.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-42253251

2. Skidby Plastic

Skidby Plastic Well-Known Member

It seemed a bit trite to ‘like’ this, but even if you don’t know or were related to anyone affected I think the fishing industry is part of you if you’re from Hull. Or at least it was for our generation and many before.

It’s mainly gone now, and the conditions have improved immeasurably for those involved, but I still have one family member at sea working unholy hours in often appalling weather to get fish into Sainsbury’s for people who generally have no idea of the sacrifices people still make to get them their fish supper.

Gone, but not forgotten.

3. Evington

Evington Well-Known Member

I have nothing to do with the fishing industry other than I come from Hull. I can still recall standing at our kitchen sink when the loss of the trawlers was announced on the radio. I was 11 at the time and I cried, and still do when this emotive subject comes up. I believe there is a tv programme on tomorrow night.

RIP

4. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

My father - in - law was a chief engineer on the trawlers, and during the Cod Wars, he was injured onboard his ship and airlifted to Rekyavick. The Icelanders were curtious and treated my father - in - law with respect, fortunately he was airlifted home and recovered from the injury but never went back to sea. He was in the Icelandic waters during this awful time and I slept, along with my wife, at the mother - in - laws, in a chair, besides the house phone, no mobile stuff then. Just in case word came through of yet another tradgedy to go along with these three appalling losses of such brave men. And for those who don't really appreciate the sacrifice these guys made just to bring our fish & chips to your local fish shop, especially in a winter, then you should just take a couple of minutes, or more, to look at videos of those appalling seas, scare the **** out of me even today. Rest in peace all those lost, and to those 2 guys I actually knew from school, 16 years old, ****, 16, and not even a chance to live, I won't forget you guys event though our lives only crossed occasionally. RIP guys, along with your mates. Sigh.

5. Arnold_Lane_HCFC

Arnold_Lane_HCFC Well-Known Member

9 o'clock BBC 4 - Hull Headscarf Heroes

6. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

RIP <rose>

Arnold_Lane_HCFC likes this.
  7. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

That was the year I decided the sea wasn't to be my life. I was 14 and my father was a Radio Operator on sidewinders, at sea during all of this. The Fisherman's Mission was a much respected friend in our community, but it's green Morris Traveller was an unwelcome sight at such times; you didn't want the knock on your door.

I detest the term '3 day Millionaires'. It wasn't unusual to land in debt, which meant in on this tide, land, repair and re-ice over the next, and then sail on the next tide - 36hrs. A bloody hard life. 3 full days were a rarity. St Andrews Club, Rayners, Millers and Halfway were full of life and excitement when they kicked off... different days indeed.

Tickton Tiger. likes this.
  8. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

Remember those days well, and the Gaul going down in 74. Heard on radio today that a young lad off North Hull Micky Barnes ? was on his first trip on the Cleveland. Also in Holy Trinity there is a plaque with all the crews names and ages and one lad was 15.
    Old team mate and school mate of mine was on the Gaul, Johnny Heywood aged about 20, and his mate Brian Dudding 20 ish ( another mates elder brother)
    How many remember City playing Motherwell in a flood lit friendly for the families of the three trawlers that went down ?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  9. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

I don't think you're on your own there. I was at school with a lad who went down with the Gaul. We weren't the biggest of mates, in fact he
    I also had a school pal go down with the Gaul, Paul Clark, must have been about 21/22. All he ever wanted to do was go to sea.

10. DaveSpencer

DaveSpencer Member

Friday night. City out of the FA cup so arranged a friendly with Motherwell with money going to the Lord Mayors Trawler disaster fund.

Tickton Tiger. likes this.

11. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

I'm currently sat on a bench in Newbiggin Bay looking out over a calm, dark blue North Sea, the horizon dotted with wind turbines and a few ships, the port of Blyth sillouetted in the distance. It's a stunningly beautiful mix of nature and industry and it's difficult to imagine that the same body of water caused so much grief and destruction 50 years ago.

There is a sculpture here of a couple staring out to sea.

IMG_20180204_143107.jpg
    Hopefully today they'll spare a few moments contemplation for brave men who were cut off in their prime, 50 years ago, whilst doing their jobs.

RIP.

12. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

I have fond memories of Newbiggin (even though it had a shocking drug problem). My mate - now passed away - had caravan directly next the path that edged the rocks; storms were incredibly dramatic and, at times, a little hairy. My parents loved visiting and were delighted by the smugglers graves in the churchyard.

Ernie Shackleton likes this.
  13. juleskaren

juleskaren Well-Known Member

I was 12 at the time and remember singing For Those in Peril On The Sea in school assembly and a lot of people crying. Had friends whose fathers went to see but don't know anyone personally who lost someone. Years later when the Gaul went down I was older and remember being in Centre Bar and rumours going around about it being found/not found. Was a proper mystery and to me still is. Went to the "Gaul" play at Hull Truck not so long ago and it was very moving. Things you think you had forgotten, just ordinary things about the way people lived and how they talked. like others have said if you come from Hull you can't help but be moved by it all, especially as you get older for some reason.

14. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

My Dad was a trawler man for close on 40 years until he had an accident when the winch failed. He was unfortunately holding the trawl cable at the time. Thankfully, he came down ship side, his back landing on the superstructure. He spent close on two months in (I think it was ) Tromoso and he was still black and blue 6 months later. My Mum told him, that she wouldn't care if he never worked again (thankfully that wasn't the case) he was never going back. The stories he tells me. Some fun, some harrowing. These men were a different breed. Bless every one of them.

15. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

When workmates complain about "another boring day", or " ffs I've got to do this or that", I often say 'Come on now, it's not as if we're jumping aboard a trawler is it'.

We can easily forget how privileged we are.

16. Bergerac28

Bergerac28 Active Member

My cousin was lost over the side just off Bear Island in 67, never seen again. He was just 21.