1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic 50+ Dead in Vegas, 200 injured

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Dorty Dogbreath, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Blacker-than-Knight

Mass shootings are not about crime and criminals, yes they become a crime but they are not a hallmark of the criminal fraternity, Adam Lanza at Sandy Hook wasn't a gang banger, a drug dealer or a house breaker, he was a mentally disturbed young man who had access to guns, Stephen Paddock was not a 64 year old career criminal he was a retired accountant no matter how much the media want to link him to his fathers sins.

Another little stat, every year on average over 600 children aged between 0 and 11 years of age are killed in firearms related incidents, kids in households with guns are more likely to be killed by the householders weapon than they are by an intruder, it's not about cowboys, it's not about criminals, it's the fact that Americans want guns and are willing to trade that off for the deaths that happen every year because of it, I've said it elsewhere but Sandy Hook should have been the incident that brought about change but it didn't and every year more die.

2. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Want gun, need license. End of story. If you cannot obtain the license - which should simply follow the same laws as Canada or the UK (I can get a hunting license and shotgun in this country) - you cannot buy the gun. The firearms industry - I presume there is such a thing - needs to dig deep, take some ownership and pay whatever costs to ensure effective administration happens. This is something the Senate should enforce and should be National, not dealt with State by backwards State. As per the laws then carrying a firearm becomes illegal without the appropriate license.

BUT let's not bullsh*t each other here. The USA, in the opinion of the white leaders, needs black on black/gang on gang gun killings to keep the 'peace' and/or prison numbers down. This is the real thing the US doesn't want to stop. The numbers are simply incredible - it's up near 200.000 or so per year. What are they supposed to do with all these folks alive, ffs?! Think of the expense. Better to have a few innocents killed than have to find 200,000 extra prison places a year. This is a decades old situation that nobody will ever talk about but that the likes of NWA and Public Enemy, et al, have been saying since the 90's. It's horrible to even say it, but we all know it's true.

3. GeordieHalfbreed

GeordieHalfbreed Well-Known Member

Is that your gut feeling?

4. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Have a lot of family out there who are from the UK and its a pretty even split between pro and against.

Most shootings out there aren't mass shootings hence I don't think they need a complete ban but something needs to be done out there you cant have one of these mass shootings every decade where children - Sandy Hook, students - Columbine or revelers - Vegas are being killed en-mass because there is the odd person (out of millions) out there a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Could they not make do with a pistol each? I'm sure they'd still be able to defend themselves/their property effectively but how the **** has this guy got 20+ guns and thousands of rounds of ammunition???

5. Darth Tash

Darth Tash Well-Known Member

My position on guns - Hasn't changed.

It depends on the country. Banning guns in America will do **** all, but there needs to be strong background checks. **** their amendment rights. If society needs to evolve, it needs to evolve, and that means you can't ****ing expect a document that's hundreds of years old to remain untouched and impactful over society.

No one is saying you shouldn't be allowed a gun, we're saying you shouldn't be allowed a gun if you're ****ing mental and we can prove it.

6. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

Yes. I know a number of people who own guns. I don't know any who bought their gun primarily for self defence. They are long guns. You buy them to hunt or for target practice

General Lee Speaking likes this.
  7. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

The power the Nation Rifle Association holds over U.S. politicians needs to end. I presume the gun industry is worth billions of dollars and a proportion of that is probably set aside to exert influence. The U.S. has a long history of organisations exerting power, you only need to look at the trade union movement over the years, people like Jimmy Hoffa, to see such an example. Until the power of the NRA wanes, very little will change.

TheJudeanPeoplesFront likes this.
  8. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Apparently there have been 273 mass shootings this year there (mass shooting being 4 or more people shot). That is about 1 per day!

9. Blacker-than-Knight

Just to point out that mass shootings don't happen every decade in the USA they happen every year, to qualify as a mass shooting it requires 4 or more victims, in 2016 there were 383 killed in mass shootings, 2015 it was 333, 2014 it was 274, in those same years 671, 696 and 607 children between the ages of 0 and 11 were killed or injured by guns, I am sorry if I sound particularly revved up about this but when you look at the real numbers it is shocking.

10. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

The average Joe in the US does not need an automatic/ semi-automatic weapon. They should be restricted to the police/ military.

I've seen some ridiculous arguments from our US friends today, i.e. people can use lorries to kill. Lorries aren't built with the express purpose of killing/ maiming. Ffs, if i was so inclined, i could go to a Tom Jones concert armed with a ****ing megaphone and kettle and take out a fair few grannies with weak hearts. Anything can be adapted as a weapon, but a gunis designed expressly as a weapon.

The statistics don't lie - The US has more gun related deaths than any other Western nation. They have the loosest gun laws. You would think somewhere along the line some bright spark in Congress would stop and put two and two together. The absolutely stupidity of the vast numbers withinin the pro gun lobby is staggering.

J. J. McClure likes this.

11. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Have to say I like Canadians and their love of the outdoors. Theres one massive wilderness to explore there. Bit cold in winter but otherwise a great place to live and just full of really nice people.

12. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

I’m going to Canada next year for the first time. Cannot wait. Road trip time.

13. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

Personally, I think it's a facet of being a moron to want to own a gun.

I don't mean to be antagonistic, but there is no good excuse or argument for a gun. Literally not one. **** your lies about protection, **** your bullshit about being safe with it, you are a moron.

America has a significant proportion of morons.

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.
  14. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Firstly, I agree.

Secondly, the explanation is money.

Thirdly, if and it's a big if, any changes occur they would have to be slow and gradual. Not ideal but with the number of guns out there already things aren't going to change overnight. If anyone did try to change the gun laws overnight then it would in all likelihood fail in similar manner to prohibition.

Obama was trying to move gun laws into the 20th century, never mind the 21st century, and was unsuccessful even following the tragedies in the last few years. I sadly cannot see people's opinions changing soon. Money talks and the public listens.

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.
  15. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

I've only been from Niagara to Toronto. I liked that plenty but I really want to get to the national parks in the Rockies and out to Vancouver Island. I watch a lad on YouTube who goes all over, Algonquin NP, etc wild camping and kayaking in and out. Budget plenty of petrol money if you are driving as the place is vast.

J. J. McClure likes this.
  16. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

HOLD THE ****ING PHONE... WHY HAS NOBODY PICKED UP ON FREDDD SAYING HE'S CANADIAN???

J. J. McClure and Marra SAFC 77 like this.
  17. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

Force them all to hand in their weapons, and let them marry their siblings and cousins with impunity as a reward. Boom, solved over night!

Marra SAFC 77 likes this.
  18. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

Firstly because we've never heard his accent and secondly because he doesn't call football soccer <whistle>

TheJudeanPeoplesFront likes this.
  19. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

I personally had him down for aristocracy, mid-60s, sipping martinis that smell like undistilled petrol, with a hint of cheeky northern when he's finished a bottle or two.

JakartaToon and Marra SAFC 77 like this.
  20. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

What!!!!!

Turn the USA into another Sunderland?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.........