1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

30 years ago today.

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by finglasqpr, Mar 31, 2016.

1. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Gary Bannister scored a hat trick as we beat Chelsea 6-0. Will never forget it. Who else was there?

NorwayRanger and QPR999 like this.
  2. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

I'm getting worried because I genuinely don't remember it. I have a brother that is a Chelsea fan so I should especially remember it as the banter must have been great.

3. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

I remember every time we scored we sang one nil, two nil etc and everybody putting the corresponding fingers up. After the sixth, we had to use both hands. I was worried we might run out of fingers. It was a thrashing. Men against boys. Bannister was brilliant on the artificial turf.

4. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Yes that was a great day & still remind my work mate of that score! bannister was a top goal scorer for us, not a big bloke but lefal in the box.

5. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

A young one at the time now an older one, i remember it. We also beat them 3-1 the season after with Dixon? missing a pen.

6. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

I was there and remember it well. The only good thing about that day at Wembley soon afterwards was singing "we beat you Chel*** six nil" for the television viewers.

finglasqpr likes this.
  7. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I was in S block Ellerslie Rd. What a great day. I remember John Byrne just missing out on a wonder goal after a terrific dribble through the half of the Chelsea team.

8. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

9. WalsallHoop

WalsallHoop Active Member

Budgie did score a great goal in the game. He almost did it in midweek cup match against them, think it was off the line before "robbo from the 1/2 way line" in replay. 6-0 and speedie sent off #paradise. Banno my 1st hero...helped by 2 hatricks against chelscum. Great to be a supporter back then.

QPR999 likes this.
  10. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

If you can spare the time, a visit to LFW & read their thread on this mnay be worthwhile!

It's full of many clips of victories over this sorry excuse of a football club!

11. East Herts Rangers

East Herts Rangers Active Member

I was there in the Ellerslie Rd but couldn't even remember who scored for us so, thanks for posting the video. I was at Stamford bridge for the cup replay to witness Robinson's half way line goal a couple of months earlier as well. Oh happy days.

12. Woodyhoopleson

Woodyhoopleson Well-Known Member

I was there, SAR, F block, old enough to enjoy it, not old enough to fully appreciate the significance. Old polish Albert sat behind us and celebrated every goal with a boiled sweet for everyone around.

13. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Easter Monday wasn't it? I had a season ticket in the front row of the South Africa Road stand back then. I smiled for weeks after that!

14. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I was in Margate that weekend with my family, staying at a guest house belonging to my pal who's a fellow Rangers season-ticket holder. I don't know how we allowed it to happen - the wives must have arranged the weekend - but we missed the game. Being 1986, we had to rely on teletext for score updates, rejoicing at the scores but cursing that we weren't there.

15. goldcoast hoop

goldcoast hoop Well-Known Member

Great afternoons work Speedie sent off
    watching Chelsea supporters sneaking out
    before full time

16. YappyR

YappyR Well-Known Member

Sorry to be late to this reply -

I was in the Loft standing just under the eaves at level with the crossbar, I could just barely peak through and over all the tall heads, as I was 14 and still not quite tall enough but got to see those goals hammered towards us and it was a cracker of a match! I'll never forget it. Loftus Road was a fortress those few years. The Loft was jumping every match. I miss the standing and the movement in waves whenever we scored (even though now we all know how dangerous that could be).

17. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Standing in the South Africa Road stand.
    funny how you cannot purchase the dvd from the Chelsea shop in Kingston