1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

3 fixture dates in December and January now changed.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintrichie123, Oct 14, 2016.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

This is totally ridiculous from a fans point of view and from a footballing point of view....thought the players will enjoy more family time. I hope this has been made financially advantageous....otherwise I can't see the point.

2. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Are you serious! :emoticon-0121-angry

Saints Fan4Life likes this.
  3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

There are two things in discussion here and I think they should be split for clarity.

1. Sky changing games

Yes, this is very frustrating and can be so annoying for fans who need to change arrangements with work and family commitments. It annoys me, even though (as in the instance of the Spuds game) it sometimes benefits me.

2. Boxing Day Games/Busy Christmas schedule

I often hear fans complaining about no games on Boxing Day being bad for the fans and another tradition lost. I'm not in agreement here. I don't think in the modern game and the intensity of the sport that games should be played so close together over a short period of time. (Yes I know this years Boxing Day change has gone the other way). If Boxing Day was a Monday and a game had been on a Saturday then it's crazy. We end up with too many games over Christmas and New Year, then followed by fans complaining when managers rest first team regulars for the 3rd round of the FA Cup which is usually very shortly after that schedule.

If anything, I'd say reduce he fixtures over that period. Have a Boxing Day game by all means, but reschedule any weekend games close to it and push the FA Cup 3rd back.

KillerCephalopod, Qwerty and davecg69 like this.
  4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

5. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37659330

Jurgen also agrees. (I know none of you like him but watch it anyway). This is supposed to be 2016, what happened to sports science and everything else we have learnt since football was invented.

But I can compromise - you can keep the boxing day game if you want, then take 2 weeks off and restart with the FA Cup 3rd round on about the 9th of January. Kick two teams out, we'll manage.

fatletiss likes this.
  6. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's making us play three games in six days that's the bigger issue here (on the back of a ten day break), than not having a Boxing Day game (I know that in this instance, the former is in part because of the latter, but I'd suggest they are too different factors. People who are, understandably, unhappy at no Boxing Day game are generally unhappy because it goes against tradition).

If you're going to move it from Boxing Day, then either:

a) have it as an 7.45pm KO on the 27th, so it can still be televised without clashing with the 5.15pm televised match that day (to give us an extra 24 hours between games one and two)
    b) have it as a Friday night game on the 23rd (to help utilise that otherwise 10 day break)
    c) push back our (non-televised) game on Jan 2nd, to either the 3rd or the 4th. Other PL matches are taking place over those two days. It's not like Jan 2nd is a full set of 10 fixtures (to give us an extra 24 or 48 hours between games two and three)

The only slight compensating factor is that the second game (on the 31st) is WBA home. They have Hull at home two days later, so might decide to rest players against us in order to stay fresh for the easier-looking game against Hull. That in turn might allow us to beat WBA without playing in top gear/with our best XI.

kjhgfd34 likes this.
  7. Ivan Golac's shoe laces

Ivan Golac's shoe laces Active Member

Sky / too much money ruining football. Yet more games that I now can't make due to TV and satisfying the craving of the armchair fan.

Velcro Roy likes this.
  8. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Common sense has gone out of the window. Ridiculous.
    Similar situation to making us play on a Sunday this week - why not give us the extra day? Barmy.

9. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not Jose's biggest fan, but he had a point the other day. When Man Utd games have been put on TV following EL matches, they've been Sunday TV matches rather than Monday TV matches. Finally this week they get a Monday TV game...only it's immediately before a EL match, not after!

10. Jos Say No

Jos Say No Well-Known Member

11. thebronze14

thebronze14 Well-Known Member

at least they are letting us know in decent time as fans that is. still doesn't seem fair

12. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

Armchair referee!

13. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

If there were two teams I didn't want to play sandwiched in a three-game-in-six-day schedule it is Spurs and Everton. Everton in particular benefit from that. There aren't two teams I'd rather we beat.