1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

28 points

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Dec 26, 2018.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If it's any consolation I don't think you would need 50 points this season to avoid the drop. The way things are going my guess would be the 4th drop position will be something like 46 or 47. I also think the promotion places are beginning to come clear. My 2 for the up are up there now. Luton are flying and so are Barnsley. I can't see either cocking it up now and the others are dropping points like flies. It is hard to see anyone not in the top 6 being involved although the way a couple are going they need to up the ante now before total rot sets in. Out of the 4 play off places I'm not sure which one carries enough form at the moment to crack it. None of them looked that nailed on.

2. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

I hear that Steve Lovell has been invited to appear on a forthcoming edition of 'Celebrity Pointless'.......:emoticon-0114-dull:

3. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I would have awarded you a 'like' - but you added the word 'Celebrity' - clearly that was pointless of you !

WINDYROG likes this.
  4. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to agree that this season the safe points level will be lower than average. Generally it's easier for a high flying team to screw things up at the end of the season than for a struggling club to get out of trouble, so while Luton look fairly nailed on at the moment I still think it's far too early to predict with any certainty the other automatic place (although Barnsley are looking very strong) and the 4 playoff places. With at least 42 points still to play for clubs up there I reckon anyone down as far as 9th (currently Fleetwood) isn't without a chance.

At the moment I estimate that we'll end up with 49 or 50 points (somehow) so it could well go down to the wire. Just as long as it doesn't depend on the last game - we have a long record of ****ing things up at those times.

5. brb

brb CR250

Just done a comparison based on recent comments to last season, taking aside Rochdale's games (were they in a cup run?) but the table search based on todays date, is more or less identical.

So some how we've got to scrape at least another 17 points from somewhere before the end of season, i've probably got more chance of alwaysright buying me a beer by then <whistle>

2017/18
    20AFC Wimbledon3197153038-834
    21Oldham Athletic3289154558-1333
    22Milton Keynes Dons3079143043-1330
    23Rochdale27510122737-1025
    24Bury3167182647-2125

grumpygit likes this.
  6. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Are we a club in crisis, or simply a club achieving as expected ?

We have no rich benefactor.....we have low attendances looking at the league 1 normal.....we have a low player budget.

Using attendance as a measure of the clubs size, our expected league position should fall between the middle of league 2 and the lower middle of league 1.

Whilst feeling disappointed at our current league position can SL be held to blame, is he a poor manager with a good set of players or an ok manager with a poor set of players.

I think with our size and finances we are achieving as expected, the team are good for what we can afford as is the manager, can we pick the right blend of players to survive, difficult question with the player consistency. Just when one player turns in a good performance another has a nightmare, how do you pick a consistent team where every player turns up on the day, I can't really answer any of those questions.

About 6 clubs in league 2 have larger support than us, with at least 15/16 in league 1 who are higher, our league position is probably a fair one, it won't stop me from whinging when we lose but can we blame anyone other than the stay away fans.

Lord Sondes Clock likes this.
  7. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

brb - I'd gladly buy you a beer - any time -- but I'm afraid that by the time I hand the glass to you, its' contents will have been contaminated by all the crying I am doing into my drink.
    You might want to ask grumpygit for a drink - but you'll probably only get a 'half full' glass from him.

...... as for Rochdale - they were suffering several postponements due to water-logged pitch - I think we can understand their 'sinking' feeling

brb likes this.