1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

2023/2024 season.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by SuffolkCanary, Jun 13, 2023.

1. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

Judging by the training pics and the friendly at the beginning of the week looks like a couple of shirt number changes being made. Sargent has the number 9 on his training kit and Gibbs wore the number 8 in the Barnet friendly. Sainz looks to have been assigned number 7

Barnes 10, Duffy 24

Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
    RiverEndRick likes this.
  2. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

I like the blue one the others especially the orange one, no not for me

3. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

I think you will find that classified as salmon Zog.

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  4. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Must have been raised in a fish farm, looks diseased to me

Golden Eadie 2 likes this.
  5. Golden Eadie 2

I doubt Krul would call it Orange.

zogean_king likes this.
  6. Golden Eadie 2

Sky are really on the ball. Six players pictured in their advert for televised games, one of them a Canary. Teemu.

7. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

With Sainz now injured until October, much will depend on our existing wide options: Hernandez, Placheta, Tzolis, Rowe and Springett. After injury problems last season, Rowe seems determined to make his mark this season:

"Me being a wide man and a creative, direct winger - I feel this style of play that he has going for us is really suiting me," Rowe said after City's 6-1 friendly win over King's Lynn Town. "Last season, I don't like to touch upon it too much, was tough for me to get back especially in a tough season towards the end. From what I'd heard about him before he came in, he likes intensity, desire and passion - all of those things tick my boxes. Hopefully now he can see it and that I can help him achieve him all the goals we want to achieve as a club. We have a good relationship. He is very demanding, and I like that because it gets the best out of all of us - it makes me a better player."

https://www.pinkun.com/news/23643817.norwich-city-jonathan-rowe-relationship-boss-david-wagner/

8. RiverEndRick

Excellent Pinkun article comparing our last three managers by Ben Lee who does the clever tactical analyses. For him, Farkeball succeeded in the Championship because we were technically superior to other teams, but failed in the PL because we were technically inferior to other teams who could do what we were trying to do much better than we did.

That's why Webber turned to Smith's pragmatism to try to survive in the PL. That ended up failing in both leagues. For Lee:

"Wagner’s teams are associated with intensity, fast transitions, verticality, overlapping full-backs, inverting wingers, and a German concept called the gegenpress. The gegenpress, known as the counter-press in England, involves intense pressing at the point of defensive transition (when possession is lost to the opponent). For Wagner, the gegenpress is not just about regaining possession as soon as it is lost; it also performs the role of a playmaker. Jurgen Klopp, Wagner’s friend and former teammate, summed this up perfectly, saying: "no playmaker in the world can be as good as a good counter-pressing situation". By pressing high up the pitch, it is likely that possession will be won close to the opponent’s goal and therefore only a few passes away from a goalscoring opportunity."

Lee argues that a team playing this way can succeed against technically superior teams and thus does have the potential to survive in both leagues.

As Lee says:

"Teams such as Brentford and Leeds managed to survive at their first attempt by implementing an intense, pressing brand of football. Intensity and pressing are two words that accurately describe Wagner’s preferred style. Norwich’s journey from Farke to Wagner is not one of indecision but rather a re-evaluation of their approach towards achieving Premier League survival, and an acceptance that Farke may not have been able to achieve this with a limited budget."

I suppose the test will come when we play Leeds and the other relegated teams.

https://www.pinkun.com/news/23645887.norwich-city-overview-farke-smith-wagners-canaries-reigns/

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  9. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

For those interested, Ben's regular NCFC pieces are accessible without subscription on his own website, a couple of days or so after they appear in the Pink'Un. All you need to do to access them is open an account with an e-mail address and password:
    https://ncfcanalysis1.wixsite.com/ncfcanalysis

Re. his latest piece, and in particular his own summary -- "Norwich’s journey from Farke to Wagner is not one of indecision but rather a re-evaluation of their approach towards achieving Premier League survival, and an acceptance that Farke may not have been able to achieve this with a limited budget", how refreshing to read someone able to recognise that Stuart Webber has a brain and actually uses it, for example in situations when those above him shift the football goal posts and with them the Sporting Director's and Head Coach's brief.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
    zogean_king and SuffolkCanary like this.
  10. SuffolkCanary

Home kit will be released tomorrow

11. Golden Eadie 2

Time off for good behaviour?

RiverEndRick and zogean_king like this.
  12. SuffolkCanary

New kit released

upload_2023-7-14_9-27-48.jpeg

upload_2023-7-14_9-28-6.jpeg

Not sure I’m a fan of this one to be honest, much prefer the colour from the second image than the first

Canary Spring likes this.
  13. SuffolkCanary

14. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

image__41038.png Looks like a Celtic strip , not impressed

15. tricky1664

tricky1664 Active Member

My thoughts when I saw it also reminds me of celtic

16. RiverEndRick

In the ok category for me. Last season's was far better, but that was going to be the case whatever. Perhaps the stripes are too thick?

17. Golden Eadie 2

What time is k.o. tomorrow. Can find no mention of it anywhere, even canaries own site.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2023
  18. RiverEndRick

1pm UK time, GE.

19. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

Ugh! Almost everyone liked last season's. Simple and understated. This is as understated as Bernard Manning, especially if the yellow is the luminescent one

Let's hope it's good kit, bad season. Horrible kit, good season.

20. SuffolkCanary

Need to see the kit in person to know if I like, the shade of yellow is most people’s biggest concern I think. Not a fan of the stripes continuing onto the back if I’m honest either