1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

2022-23 Season

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by RiverEndRick, May 30, 2022.

1. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

I personally think Smith needs to make a decision about Sargent and Pukki. Sarge is nowhere near as effective off the right and I think it affects the balance of the team. Sargent needs to rotate with Pukki, especially given the amount of games coming up this month that could be a real bonus. We have Sinani, Cantwell, Dowell etc that could come in to the position and do a better job.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  2. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

Offensively, Pukki is much better on the wing than Josh. When both are on the pitch I want to see Josh at the striker position or, at least rotate.

That's one of my wishes for the current squad. The other is to have McLean at left back instead of in the middle.

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  3. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I do agree, but it’s a tough ask with both being on a scoring streak and us winning (or at least, not losing) games!

4. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

Like Rob, I basically agree. Can we manage two formations in one game, do you think? Our old 4-2-3-1 with Pukki upfront, and a midfield trying to pick out his runs, changing to a 4-3-3, with more focus on the wings and crosses aimed at Sargent? Is that asking for too much flexibility in one game?

EDIT: As well as Sargent not being as effective off the right, I also feel that he and Max just don't work well as a partnership. I think Max works better alongside Sinani.

5. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Yes, you're right - I misread it on FlashScore. Hard to say whether it was chances not taken in the first half or not generated in the second half. It could also be that the Japanese were protecting their lead in the second half, though they had a few more attempts after the half.

6. RiverEndRick

We have made the change from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-3 or vice versa several times this season and at times we attack in a 4-2-3-1 and defend in a 4-3-3, with the number 10 dropping back into midfield when the ball is lost.

7. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

I watched the last quarter. Japan looked a level above and played with better tempo and energy. Lots of USA passing to and fro across the back, and the ball given away in midfield. In consequence very little for the forward players to feed on. Josh made a couple of Pukki-like runs, but the pass never came. Reminded me of us last season.

8. RiverEndRick

As the Match thread has yet to appear here's the key squad news from today's presser:

Grant Hanley (shoulder) and Andrew Omobamidele (groin) both available for selection after pulling out of international duty for Scotland and the Republic of Ireland respectively. Hanley had another injection at the start of the international period. But trained since.

Isaac Hayden (knee) held back for another 10 days. Smith revealed parent club Newcastle United flagged up an 'effusion' (swelling) after a check up with the player. Hayden was back running on the grass prior to the international period but did not take part in a planned practice game. Ruled out since pre-season after a minor op to 'clean out' a knee issue.

Liam Gibbs (ankle). Set to train on Thursday. Will be available for selection this weekend if not adverse reaction. Injured in the Championship win at Sunderland.

Dimi Giannoulis (ankle ligaments) targeting a return in mid-October. Injured in the opening Championship home draw against Wigan.

Adam Idah (knee) ruled out for a 'number of weeks' after operation Smith labelled 'exploratory' earlier this month. Previously had some fluid taken out of his knee earlier this season, after a knee problem curtailed his Premier League season in February.

Jonathan Rowe (shin). Stress-related injury. Still training inside. Smith originally indicated will be a 'number of games' he misses. But would not put a specific timescale on it.

Jacob Sorensen (foot) stress fracture. Smith reported last Thursday he is still in a protective boot. Injured in the second half of Norwich City's Championship defeat at Hull City in August.

Sam McCallum (foot) out until after the World Cup (December). Had surgery on a metatarsal injury August 11.

9. SuffolkCanary

MDT's only appear the day before a game at the moment- I am one for superstitions when it comes to football and this system is working

10. SuffolkCanary

Would be good to get Gibbs back into the midfield ASAP

zogean_king likes this.

11. RiverEndRick

That seems to be our best chance for a DM. I'm beginning to wonder whether we'll ever see Hayden on the pitch.

12. RiverEndRick

I'm sure we all have our superstitions on match day. Mine is not wearing the opposing team's colours. It didn't do much good in the PL but at least it wasn't my fault! <laugh>

It's been working well of late, but that may be down to the superior strength of your superstitions, Suffolk! :emoticon-0165-muscl

13. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I hope the promotion clause in Hayden's contract includes a minimum number of minutes played. I'm starting to think we won't see him before the world cup.

It's a lot of responsibility for Gibbs, but hopefully he can step up. Another youngster emerging as a genuine first team option would be a real boost this season, especially in such a key role.

14. SuffolkCanary

I was listening to the Pink In earlier and they suggested the obligation to buy was dependant on both promotion and Hayden playing a certain number of games this season

DHCanary likes this.
  15. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Lineup for Blackpool then? I'd guess something like:

Krul
    Aarons Omobamidele Hanley Byram
    Nunez Gibbs Sara
    Sargent Pukki Cantwell

Probably a bit harsh on McLean to drop him, but he'll undoubtedly end up coming on for Byram or Gibbs given their fitness situations. Would rather have Gibbs from the start and replace if/when he tires.

16. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Busy October inbound! Let's hope @SuffolkCanary has a case of writing cramp by Halloween.

please log in to view this image

17. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

I wonder how much £ Reading get for their stadium being named Select Car Leasing? :steam:

RiverEndRick likes this.
  18. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

This may be unpopular on here as a few rate Hayden as a magnificent leader and the answer to our midfield problems, real fans favourite apparently but if he fails to regain fitness and actually play for Norwich.
    Personally I would send him back , Tettys knees kept him out every season and this is looking very much like a Matt Jarvis signing , apart from we signed Hayden crocked .

19. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I think Gibbs is far from the finished article and has actually been a bit over-praised, but it is clear he has buckets of potential and those things will improve, so I am also more relaxed now about Hayden. If he comes in and is brilliant, hey that’s great, but I don’t think it’s a disaster if he doesn’t - we will still need a DM if we get promoted but it doesn’t feel quite so time pressured. Maybe I’m being complacent after recent results, but I do think that’s fair

carrowcanario likes this.
  20. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

For me wasting a loan place and paying some of his £50k a week salary beyond January if he's still not fit would be a disaster.

As someone pointed out surely the clause to sign him permanently must depend on the number of games played