1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

2020 Triumph Hurdle

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Sir Barney Chuckles, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Can I ask the powers that be is it too early to mention this heat?!? I don’t want to go too early, commit a terrible faux pas and then end up either on the front page of ‘The Daily Mail’ or worse still be blackballed!

I await adjudication.

2. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Fill your boots old boy. Have you "had a word" for one?

3. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

This heat is not on my radar but then I'm not part of the powers that be so feel free to ignore me. I am intrigued however by your recent regular use of the word 'scout'. I don't recall you using it previously. Have you been reading that old O Level stalwart To Kill a Mockingbird or maybe studying ol boy Baden Powell? The forum deserves an answer.

Sir Barney Chuckles likes this.
  4. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Ah the Triumph hurdle, a race flat racing officiandos will mention when a fancied horse fails to run its race in the Derby.

I think us jumps fans need an equivalent, perhaps when a horse fails to find off the bridle over 2 miles we can say “reverse the op, and that thing will win the Hardwicke on the flat”.

Go on Barney, whose been catching pigeons in the ‘shire?

5. stick

stick Bumper King

Can I get odds on it being trained at Seven Barrows?

6. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Sir Barney's fancy will be no doubt, but I'd see the Triumph winner more likely in Joseph's yard <ok>

stick likes this.
  7. Sir Barney Chuckles

No not ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ but its origin, I must confess, is literary based. Recently read the new Ben Elton novel Identity Crisis (set a few years in the future and centred around the latest referendum – English independence from the UK. Also concentrates on the OUTRAGE that exists in the online world. It’s OK but not great) and there is a character in that who wanders around constantly saying ‘old scout’!

The character in the novel though is very annoying, devious, irritating, something of a toff and someone that you would constantly want to punch. Therefore, I don’t expect the phrase ‘old scout’ will last as I am, of course, the total opposite of all these characteristics.

Ron and Chaninbar like this.
  8. Sir Barney Chuckles

No, no, no, no, no. Cor blimey, old scout, I hope you are not bracketing me in with the ‘I’ve been told…’ brigade. I’ve a good mind to consult my legal people.

The horse is question is HUMMDINGER who is housed with Alan King (Stick, my old love, I hope you didn’t have too much on Seven Barrows). He had 3 run-of-the-mill runs as a juvenile before running a very decent 2nd on his handicap bow just over a week ago. Humminger is now perched on 65 and I can think of no reason why that can’t be increased by at least a stone whilst he’s running on the Flat.

Hummdinger incidentally cost 24,000 guineas, in '18, and the dam is a daughter of a Grade3 winner in the US (that mare has also produced a US Grade 1 winner).

To be honest I had expected him to be running at Salisbury, on Thursday evening, but I note he has now been taken out. One to keep an eye out for though when he next runs on the level though and ultimately when his attentions are switched to timber.

9. Sir Barney Chuckles

Hummdinger runs at Royal Windsor (3.10) on Bank Holiday Monday.

Win, lose or draw how Hummdinger fares in just over 48 hours time will ultimately have very little to do with his career as a juvenile hurdler but I’d certainly like to see him win this heat. And unless those bookie chappies choose to offer ridiculous prices when the market opens will certainly be looking to have a wager on him. Maybe even a Hummdinger of a one! What, what, what, what, what, what, what?!?

Look out for him, team.

10. Sir Barney Chuckles

Has to be said that Hummdinger was a major disappointment yesterday as he trailed in 4th. Completely failed to build on the promise shown, last time out, on his 3YO bow.

I’ve no idea where he stands in Alan King’s ‘early’ 3YO team re hurdles but it should be noted that we are now less than 1 month away from the opening juvenile hurdle of term 2019/20. Maybe after that show yesterday Hummdinger will be going hurdling sooner, I say sooner, than later…

11. Sir Barney Chuckles

Hummdinger returned to form last weekend with a solid 2nd at Salisbury. That saw his Flat perch go up a pound to 65.

However, the purpose of this post is to advise, if you weren’t aware, that the first juvenile hurdle of term 2019/20 takes place of the morrow ‘ooooooooooooooooooop’ at Hexham (2.40). Alan King doesn’t go with Hummdinger relying instead on the Nathaniel gelding, Green Etoile, for the Munir/Souede axis. Would imagine that this one would be very popular in the old market and I guess be the one to beat. Other notable runners include Olly Murphy’s Another Reason, Brian Ellison’s Whisky and Water and Ben Haslam’s Lady Shanawell – the latter 2 yards have both won this race twice in the past 10 years. Anyone any thoughts / views / info (delete as appropriate) re this race???

Meanwhile, Skybet have now opened a book re the 2020 Triumph - they go 33/1 Aweedram and The Olympian. Both are trained by the above mentioned Alan King. Although, I suspect, that you would have to question the sanity of anyone wagering on the Triumph Hurdle at this stage in the term.

12. Sir Barney Chuckles

Pilgrim likes this.
  13. jack1092

jack1092 New Member

I suppose he fits the bill? Sir Erec quite similar last year.

14. Sir Barney Chuckles

But Southern France would be a 5YO come March 2020! I see that Skybet have now seen sense and taken that one out of the betting.

But I note that the 3YO filly Gin On Lime has suddenly lept to the top of the market for this race at 16/1. And it is then 33/1 Bar one. Anyone know anything further re this one beyond the fact that she won a 3YO Hurdle, earlier this month, for old boy Guillaume Macaire, at Clairefontain by 9 lengths (thank you, Mr Google)???

Given her name I’m sure it would cause much merriment, on the forum, if she was ever bought and transferred to a certain trainer. But anyone heard anything at all about Gin On Lime???

15. NassauBoard

16. Sir Barney Chuckles

She looks one ‘eck of a prospect! The words ‘Reincarnation’ and ‘Pegasus’ spring to mind. Cor blimey!

redcgull likes this.
  17. NassauBoard

According to a bit of twitter chatter, been sold to race in UK/Ireland. Same original connections as Laurina apparently.

redcgull likes this.
  18. Sir Barney Chuckles

Everytime I look at Gin and Lime’s win across The Channel it just gets better and better!

But just a quick update and the original reason why this thread was started back in April – Hummdinger has now been entered in a 3YO Hurdle. The race is at Worcester next Wednesday evening.

19. Sir Barney Chuckles

Quick update re the 3YO hurdling scene.

The new favourite for the Triumph is Micro Manage. Won a handicap on the level, at the Curragh by 12 lengths back in June, but trained by a chap I’ve never heard of.

The big news though is that Gin On Lime (I defy anyone to view that video of her posted by the Board boy and not to say very quickly the words ‘Reincarnation’ and ‘Pegasus’) is now in training with the 1st lady of horse racing, Mrs Harrington. Shame it wasn’t the Lieutenant as think of the puns and bonkers antics that could have come re him training a beast with that moniker! In all seriousness though the current quotes of 25/1 re Gin on Lime and the Triumph look massive. Especially when you further consider she would be getting 7 lbs from the old boy geldings (and colts should any line-up).

Pilgrim likes this.
  20. Sir Barney Chuckles

My one time Derby fancy Great Bear (one of the best bred animals in training, incidentally) sold yesterday to Thomas Gibney for just 16,000 guineas. To me that is a ridiculously cheap amount and could prove as cheap as chips, as I believe they say. You would have to wonder if he will be steered towards the 2020 Triumph Hurdle – no quotes available at the time of writing though.

Meanwhile, I think the foolhardy nature of modern day Cheltenham Festival ante-post wagering can be highlighted through the above mentioned Gin On Lime. Still 25’s for the Triumph but now put in at only 11/1 for the ‘Mares Novice’!

Pilgrim likes this.