1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread 2020 Hungary - Grand Prix Chat and Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Jul 15, 2020.

?

Who will Finish first?

Poll closed Jul 18, 2020.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Valtteri Bottas

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Sebastian Vettel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Charles Leclerc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Max Verstappen

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Alexander Albon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Daniel Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Carlos Sainz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Lando Norris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

Stop worrying if you’ve caused offence. You have a right to disagree.

Big Ern and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  2. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

This is the danger. But look at it another way, the problem for Hamilton in F1 is not overt racism but apathy. So when the other drivers don't present a united front it looks like Hamilton's crusade which is not the way it's supposed to be.

The irony is that being a white dominated sport it's easy for F1 not to see itself as part of the problem. In a sport like football where there are a large number of black players the racism is obvious and can be seen and has been an issue that people have been very aware of for decades.

Many people in white dominated sports like F1 don't see the problem, ironically because there are so few black people involved in the sport. There should be no reason why there isn't the same proportion of black F1 drivers as there are black football players. The reasons are perhaps less to do with prejudice in the sport because black drivers find it so much harder to get into the sport in the first place. The barrier is socio-economic, which brings us back to why there is such a high proportion of black people that are in poor socio-economic backgrounds, and that does come back to structural racism.

It's a shame F1 can't present the united front that other sports are. If Hamilton is left twisting in the wind on his own without support then it's easy to dismiss what he is trying to do.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    SgtBhaji, El_Bando and ched999uk like this.
  3. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

It's not racism, it's classism, and it always has been. A black kid with the right school tie is going to be preferred to a white kid from the slums within the higher echelons of society, which is why a black man got to vote in the UK 100 years before the reform act of 1832 (which still excluded 40% of the male population and 100% of the female one).
    We are not America, there is no left-over slave mentality, our 'racism' is less to do with skin colour and more to do with the mass migration of the 50's. You can see the same thing happening today, except this time those people have white skins and come from Eastern Europe.
    Antagonism between the lower classes and the migrants nearly always has this effect, and can be seen throughout history.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  4. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I liked that post not because I like it but because it has truth within it. It is also perhaps supported by he fact that everybody saw the EU immigration as a problem when two thirds of all immigration was not from Europe. Brexit was never itself going to solve immigration. The person in the street saw white immigration from Europe as the problem and I think that stems from the experience that white immigration took the jobs of local people (whether white or black).

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  5. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

6. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

All those Rednecks remind me of a flight with a Redneck in the seat beside me:sad: Interesting experience, a complete stranger. On filling in his landing card he turned to me and asked me where was he born? I was as polite as I could muster in my reply.

El_Bando, Number 1 Jasper and Big Ern like this.