1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

2020 and January Transfers

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by cytrax, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Where did you want him to start, the weak midfield or piss poor defence?
    He has had one window where he filled positions we were weakest in, this window we seem to be looking at midfielders. Do you think we should buy a whole team in one window and get them playing together as a unit?

2. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

We let too many midfield players go last year. Regardless of what was done with the defence, one cannot weaken the midfield and think an amazing defence will make up for it. The strikers also suffered as a result. That was clear over-estimation by Ole and showed lack of experience in building at this level. I like James, but the club already was already flushed with left wingers and the focus should have been to fix the right side and get a creative midfielder. Let's not forget that we have had two windows under Ole to sort out the obvious gaps.

I know that we are willing to give Ole more latitude because he's a legend at the club, but mistakes were clearly made in the summer that an experienced manager wouldn't have made. But I believe the experience will be good for Ole and he won't repeat the same mistakes again.

3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Only Herrera of any significance left though?

Fellaini and Blind were both sold by Mourinho.

Mistakes Ole made were.allowing Herrera to go, we could do with him now. Allowing Lukaku and Sanchez to leave without replacing them. Allowing Smalling to go, yet keeping Jones and Rojo.

Pretty clear that this happened because no one wanted the other two though.

His signings have been good though.

Dan James should indeed be left wing but Rashford has found his position playing from the left so he's had to switch, right wing isn't his best position at all.

We need to make two signings at centre midfield this window. And if we do, allow Pogba to leave.

Any other signings then have to wait till summer, unless we can get Koulibaly I suppose.

cytrax and glazerfodder like this.
  4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

And meanwhile, United trigger Eric Bailly's contract extension!

Screenshot_20200118-083805_Facebook.jpg

5. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

I think we're just adding 'value' to his sale price come the summer.

6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, get that.

But if he doesn't leave, he carries on picking up a wage for contributing nothing.

7. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Let's remember that he's still only 25years old and had a great first season for us. If he can find that form again, he can compete with Lindelof.

8. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

"Sporting want €65 million up front and another €15m in add-ons for Fernandes, a stance that has baffled United because the Portuguese side were prepared to let the midfielder join Tottenham in the summer for around €45m plus add-ons." - https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...es-deal-unless-sporting-lower-demands-sources

If this story is true, I'd be happy for United to walk away from the deal. We've paid too much for too many players and often don't deliver and too many greedy pigs think they can extort the club.

Diego likes this.
  9. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

I'm hearing its more a case of the add-ons being unrealistic and unattainable as far as Sporting are concerned - Balon d'Or winner, CL finalist, most budgies etc - they see where we are now and see the attainment as unrealistic within the contract period.

10. Sweats

Sweats Fat lives matter
    Forum Moderator

Read an article on fb today shared by talksport.

reckon untied have been in talks with poch for weeks but he is refusing to take the job unless Woodward steps back and he is guaranteed finances and full control over transfers.

11. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

**** that, he built a team of talented bottlers at Spurs. At least our team have some fight in them and can be improved by adding talent.

* Record Points Total likes this.
  12. Sweats

Sweats Fat lives matter
    Forum Moderator

I think he would be an improvement to ole.

read back a few pages. On paper Allegri is the better manager though I believe he doesn’t speak English and is unproven in this league. We are damned if we do and damned if we don’t.

Either manager is capable of failing for different reasons. It’s not a decision I would want to have to make.

Poch has advantages over allegri the only lacking element is winning something. Though he lost to a better team . His achievement at Spurs was outstanding with not a lot of money spent on the squad. He got the best out his young players.

I’d take him in a heartbeat right now. The article also stated he wants to join in the summer.

13. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

When do you decide a manager has failed and how long do you give the next guy?

Not sure about a manager speaking English though, most teams have many foreign players in their squads these days.

14. Sweats

Sweats Fat lives matter
    Forum Moderator

You think we should stick with ole? I just do not see enough coming from the side. Like tel said a few pages back just sound bites. No clear plan, with plan I mean in terms of how we play. We are so inconsistent. Yes the squad is lacking but equally I don’t see him getting the best out of it.

15. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Yep i think we should stick with him, any manager deserves at least 2 full seasons and the accompanying transfer windows to see the direction he is taking a team.
    If we were falling like a stone and getting worse i might change my opinion but at the moment i can see small improvements all the time and have a belief he will get it right with another season.
    If we start again (again) how long would you give the new man?

16. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

No idea whether Allegri speaks English, it's Simeone who doesn't.

If Poch 'wants' to join us at end of the season, let's just wait till then, eh?

Diego likes this.
  17. Sweats

Sweats Fat lives matter
    Forum Moderator

Am sure I read somewhere allegri doesn’t . Around the time when ole was looking like he might get sacked a month or so ago.

In answer to Diego I think ole is just treading water. There are signs of little improvement, followed by signs of good players getting worse.

18. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

You have some very talented footballers in that team including, no matter what Kean says, Martial. I thought Matic was the best midfielder on display today, including Henderson. Shaw is a skilful player, but not an athlete: Bissaka is an athlete, but not a skilfull player. Lindelöf makes Lovren look hard. He's not even as good as Skrtel. That perrera (sp) looks class though. Hope this is helpful. <ok>

Oh, and Fred is not a complete joke anymore: but his final ball is panicky - he needs more confidence.

19. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

That's a pretty good assessment actually <ok>

wan Bissaka is a top full back, will never be a wing back.
    Matic was (looked) finished last season but has come back very strong and has some much needed calmness and class.
    Pereira (for some reason) is not liked by most but i see him as a very good player who's first thought is to go forward. He does tend to overdo the flicks sometimes but has pace and energy and is not scared of getting stuck in when needed. We can definitely get better but he is not the worst.
    Fred has been good this season and is improving all the time, i thought he was the best MF on the pitch today all round.
    Lindelof will never be good enough and i hope we replace him soon.
    Shaw is an enigma, he has the ability, he has speed but his conditioning is terrible (Williams will be long term in his position).

* Record Points Total likes this.
  20. Stan

Stan Stalker

I assume you’re taking the piss about Pereira. He’s absolutely ****ing gash.