1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

2019 flat season

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by floridaspearl, Oct 7, 2019.

1. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Is it just me or will anyone else be glad to see the back of this flat season?
    In all my years of punting this year has been the worst. Up until the weekend just gone I think I picked 3winners all summer. I was beginning to think about giving it up. Speaking to people it seems I’m not on my own. Even on this forum winners seem to have been a bit light.im not prolific with winners on here but I have little runs now and again that keep me ticking over but this year going into the winter the betting bank is bare.
    Please share your views.
    Cheers.

Ste D likes this.
  2. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

I always look forward to seeing the back of the flat season Florida every year because in comparison to the jumps it is pretty boring stuff..

I don't bet on the flat that much as generally in the summer months enjoying good weather and I am out on weekends so not in front of a tv screen. I am not going to be arsed to call it up on my phone whilst chilling on a beach for example! Its quite limited betting for me June to September.

Much prefer the jumps..more interesting to watch..probably do better betting wise as generally more imterested in following it..have a share in a national hunt horse too..also likely to be in on a Saturday winter time for example so put all that together and it all fits pretty well for me.

Get fed up of watching all these big sprints too where there are all these hard luck stories as jockeys look for a gap that isn't there..

Bring on the jumps which for me starts properly in a few weeks time at Cheltenham s October meeting..:emoticon-0148-yes: cant wait!

Also I do think the money involved in buying flat horses is ridiculous and for me national hunt racing is more of a people's sport.

rudebwoy and floridaspearl like this.
  3. stick

stick Bumper King

I too find it a souless.
    If you want to make money on the flat you have to put a lot of homework in. Over the sticks you get to know the horses better as they are around for longer.
    Early in July my betting bank was gone. I put £20 in my Bet365 account. I have made no other deposits , nor have I bet elsewhere and a couple of weeks ago it topped the grand. A run of seconds in the last fortnight has seen me slip back to having arond £650 in there now. Whats the secret? A lot of homework and race watching and dont put them up on 606!

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I started off the season with nothing. I have made no further deposits and haven't yet backed a loser. Currently breaking even

It will be the same for the jumps season as I simply don't have the time to study, nor to watch races which, as stick says, is a very important part

Forumites may have noticed I generally only put up losers on 606 but layers will no doubt be grateful for these

I think stick like to keep an eye on my selections, just in case <laugh>

As We Know and rudebwoy like this.
  5. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

I checked my skybet account and in the last year i was £200 up so very happy with that.
    This forum definitely bangs in more winners in NH racing. I used to prefer the flat but the last 2 years have changed code.

stick likes this.
  6. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

That’s been my problem to many seconds and when I back a fave it comes second to an outsider.

7. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

I'm a jumps man all the way.I did enjoy last years flat season but this campaign has been underwhelming although the chums on ITV racing will tell you differently.

8. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Too much racing and not a joined up season makes the flat really infuriating for me. I’ve watched a lot more this season and I’ve found it really difficult to stay informed of all the racing I need to watch.

it’ll be the last season that I do this, from next season I won’t be watching except for the big meetings and the big stories. Hopefully something special will come from the classic generation to keep us non flat racing fans interested.

9. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Gotta agree with you Florida, I get more fun and enjoyment from the jumps than the flat, and yes I too have struggled to warm to what has gone this year on the flat...

I do bet on the flat, not a lot mind, but like mentioned above, 20+ runner fields over 5f just dosn't float my boat one bit...

Each to their own I suppose, I'm sure there are plenty who do love it...

10. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Don't worry lads, we have the Persian War Novices Hurdle (Grade 2) this Friday already, first race of a great 2-day meeting at Chepstow.

floridaspearl likes this.

11. CaptainPops

Off to our fellas yard on Saturday to get the lowdown...likely return to action expected in a little over 2 weeks time with a debut over fences. This is very exciting as those in the know anticipate he will do even better over the bigger obstacles than he did over hurdles.

12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sorry Pops, I've forgotten the name. Please remind me so I can keep an eye out

13. CaptainPops

Top Decision Ron. :emoticon-0115-inlov

Ron likes this.
  14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Let's hope it was. In my Timeform tracker <cheers>

15. As We Know

As We Know 1 of the top judges in Europe

The sport doesnt do itself any favours with both jump and flat racing all year round, there should be no UK/IRE jump racing between May and November and vice versa for UK/IRE flat racing in the other 6 months, obviously the money issue at racecourses makes this difficult to achieve but perhaps the model is wrong.

Good horses being retired at 3yo is often a go to gripe for jump fans but Magical, Crystal Ocean, Waldgeist and Enable have been taking each other on all season, all good older horses kept in training. There was no superstar in the 3yo division but that happens sometimes and the older horses still served up an absolute classic in the King George. There was a superstar 2yo who will be running for the 6th time next weekend, so what more to people want from flat racing than its provided this season?

Perhaps the problem is in poor coverage from ITV, who picked up where C4 left off in the pointless effort of trying to pander to non racing fans, and often comes across as pretentious with Chamberlains "everything is amazing" attitude and Chapmans poor Big Mac impression. The jump season is far easier to sell with the progressive narrative of all roads lead to Cheltenham, but the avoidance of major clashes until March doesnt do it for me either.

I like to follow a lot of international racing but as ive been working on my software I have not spent anywhere near as much time on actual racing at home or abroad this season, mainly just the big races, but its been a decent season imo and should have been topped off with Enable winning a 3rd Arc but it wasnt to be.

redcgull likes this.
  16. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Good point on the 'All roads lead to Cheltenham' vibe Eddie and the fact some of the big 'uns tend to miss each other before getting there. But once they do get there Cheltenham just seems to be a bigger event in my eyes than Royal Ascot, Derby or the Qipco 'festivals', that's my main reasoning to prefer the jumps...

17. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

With little left of the 2019 flat season, I will turn a profit unless I suddenly go on a last-minute loser frenzy. Most of my sources of information largely dried up this year, so at least I can say that following the form paid off, but I only bet just because I like being right (who does not?) and getting the bookies to pay for my beer is an amusing challenge.

For the third year running, the Classic generation has underwhelmed, with last year’s champion two year old not going on and if anything regressing. When Ballydoyle is resorting to half a dozen runners in big races, you know they have nothing special.

The same two or three older horses have dominated as they pretty much did last year; and once they disappear from the scene, flat followers will be hoping that Pinatubo turns out to be the real deal in 2020 or that some of this year’s three year olds stay in training and improve markedly over the winter.

Whilst I occasionally watch the slow old plodders over the winter, I concluded a very long time ago that most of the trainers are crooked (knew several owners whose horses only tried when their money was on) so I limit myself to a few bets on the championship races at Cheltenham (when they are definitely trying), purely for an interest while camped in front of the TV (usually in the pub!).