1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours 2017 SUMMER NEWS

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, May 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So...upwards and onwards.

1...Who will Derek Adams want to retain ?
    2...Who won't get offered a new contract ?
    3...What happens to our loanees regarding next season ?
    4...Areas of the team that need strengthening ?
    5...Have we got adequate coaching staff.
    6...Player targets that you would like to see at HP
    7...What would you consider as a successful 2017/18 season in Div 1 ?
    8...What else would you like to see happen at HP next season ?
    9...Anything else that we should discuss as we join Div 1 ?
    10..Grandstand development plans etc ?

Not just transfer news of course...but that will be important...who stays,who goes and who comes in ,......and what else will happen during the off season.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  2. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

With the Championship season now finished....I notice that Reading finished in a strong 3rd position......the reason I mention that is if they win the play-offs and get promoted.....where does that leave Craig Tanner.....whose time at PAFC has yet again come to an end.

He hasn't been a regular choice in recent months and at times doesn't make the bench.....so what is his future.....not strong enough for the Championship with Reading....he would certainly be out in the cold if Reading made the Premiership.....but would Derek Adams still be interested....he needs to strengthen his squad.....even if we could afford him or get him free would Adams think him good enough for Div 1?

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

KEY DATES.....2017/18.

Wed...21st June 2017.....Division One fixtures announced.
    Sat...5th Aug 2017.....Division One season starts.
    Week commencing 7th Aug 2017 Carabao Cup.....round one......(Carabao is an energy drink)
    ........ditto.............. 21st Aug 2017 Carabao Cup.....round two.
    Sat...5th May.....Division One season ends.
    Sun...27May.....Division One play-off final.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Reminder of pre-season friendly games arranged so far.

Tues...11th July 2017.....away to Tiverton Town.....TBC.
    Sat...15th July 2017.....away to Weston-Super-Mare.....KO 3pm.
    Fri...21 July 2017.....home to Cardiff City.....KO 7pm.
    Sat...22nd July 2017.....six day training camp in Delden Netherlands.....two games to be arranged there.

5. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comments Plym i will be following all of the above.

6. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Plym, you must be bored already :emoticon-0126-nerd:

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Not really Joe.....:D.

8. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That's the most replies to ones own post I've ever seen. It's gonna take me a few weeks to become very interested again unless something drastic happens of course.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I'll keep you informed then.....Adams probably working on his retain and let go lists at the moment.

10. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm off away for the next 5 days for starters plym so that takes care of half the time.

Don't think Carey will be our's next season the way posts are going elsewhere. Pity but that's life. The loanees will also be returned so doubt they will be our's in the end either. Tanner is a strange one because I think he is reasonable but Adams has not been playing him for some reason and clearly doesn't. At least it's more appropriate talking about who goes and stays now the season is over unlike the Herald who were talking about this with games to go. I will guess we will end up with about 9 ish of the ones we have now. Adams will try to rebuild another squad again from half scratch. One league up and we see how he goes but I don't think he will struggle.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

There is something about Craig Tanner not being played by Adams....maybe we'll hear why soon....just got a feeling somethings wrong at present ....:emoticon-0138-think.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So today is a celebration day for PAFC and the City.......will Derek Adams tomorrow start sorting out his squad for next seasons participation in Division One.

Who will he want to retain.... some players will possibly have contracts that go into next season.....and who will he let go.

So I will indulge myself a little and give my views.

The following players I feel he will want to keep....Graham Carey...Jake Jarvis...Sonny Bradley...Oscar Threlkeld...Ryan Taylor...Luke McCormick...David Fox...Nathan Blissett...Antoni Sarcevic...Jacub Sokolik.

Possibly.....Gary Miller...Yann Songo'o...Jimmy Spencer...Vincent Dorel...Paul Arnold Garita.

Not retained unless their contract goes into next season.....Gary Sawyer...Nauris Bulvitis...Connor Smith...Jordan Slew...Ryan Donaldson...Ryan Blunt...David Ijaha...Marc McCallum.

Loans being returned...Matthew Kennedy...Craig Tanner.

How do you lot see it.....of course it depends on his budget.

13. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

I agree with most of the above Plym but I don't feel Garita has been the same since his injury so perhaps an initial short term loan and extension if performances are good enough.

Tanner is out of contract at Reading this summer I believe so could be a chance to get him permanently - of course that depends if DA wants him next year...

I quite like Smith and Slew but I agree that they are probably not League One quality so best to let go.

Looking online I do worry that the whole squad, if they wanted to, could just walk this summer. Some 2-3 year contract deals for key players would be a good move going forward I think!

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Plymouth along with Burton, Charlton and Portsmouth have been keeping tabs on 21 year old Fulham forward George Williams....the talented Welshman is a free scoring player in the U21 team with 17 goals this season.....finding it hard to break into the first team....he could well move on this summer.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Also announced.....Wed 28th June 2017...players return for pre-season training.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Also mentioned...that the squad list at present comprises of...Luke McCormick, Nathan Blissett and Ryan Taylor ?...I assume that they must have contracts for next season ?

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  17. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

He's hardly altered his starting 11 since the New Year so I think that's a pretty good guide, minus Kennedy presumably.

Songo'o - pleeeease.

I think Warnock will want Kennedy back, given what he said about him before he came to Home Park and the way he's performed while he's been here. Reading don't seem to have a great desire to have Craig Tanner around but he's hardly figured in our squad lately so Adams may not want him either. I'm undecided. We can live without Garita. He caught the eye at first with his all action style but I've come to the conclusion it's all too hit or miss with him. He must be a nightmare to play with: if he doesn't know where he's going next, how is anyone else supposed to?

David Norris picked out the way Grimsby were embarrassing the back 4 for pace on Saturday, particularly down the flanks. Of course, that's partly down to how quick the full backs are and where they start the chase. We have to find a way to dominate games offensively, particularly at home, without becoming exposed at the back. New players or new tactics? not quite sure.

We've also got three or four strikers who are all a bit similar; Blissett, Brunt, Spencer and Taylor. Chris Dagnall of Crewe looked very lively 2 weeks ago: only 5ft 8, mobile etc etc, a real pain in the backside. Louis Rooney hasn't seemed to pull up any trees at Hartlepool. Will Adams try a smaller, nippier player as a 2nd striker, especially iif we no longer have Carey in the No 10 role? I doubt it.

I don't suppose the new squad will be any bigger than the current one and we've generally looked well prepared and able to adapt to different formations. One area though is the youth squad. I believe the rules are changing to force clubs to have more home developed youngsters in their first team squads, even if they are not born in the UK, in the hope that will be at the expense of imported senior players. Quite how that impinges on League 1 I don't know but

I've seen several I've liked the look of this season and can't remember any of them. Hopefully Adams is a bit more organised.

Simon Hallett wants Argyle to be challenging for the play-offs and I think that's a sensible target; not raising expectations too high but still challenging. I suspect Adams will be privately looking towards promotion and that's fine as along as fans don't get disgruntled if we don't make it. So, Top 10?

Glad to learn the Mayflower stand is to have seats once again. That really has been an eyesore which lets the whole club down.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Gary Sawyer has been added to that list.

19. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

They know and so will everyone else in the next 24 hours
    From memory there are very few actually out of contract at the end of this season. Gary Sawyer has apparently already told the 'erald that he is staying so that leaves even less.
    They go back to parent club and negotiations start again from scratch. Tanner may be surplus at his parent club but not sure if he is good enough for regular starts in L1
    midfield
    yes-mote than adequate
    no idea
    Survival would constitute relative success but the club/budget/players are very capable of reaching the playoffs.
    Building to start & an increase in the behind the scenes staff
    How could/should football change in order to attract more people to watch football 'in the flesh'.
    yes there are some.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

One amendment....Paul Arnold Garita was a loanee.....I'd forgotten that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.