1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

2017 " revolution "

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

A couple of 'Rumours' doing the rounds for people to ponder over.
    • We have supposedly agreed to appoint Maurice Steijn as our new manager at the end of the season. He is the current manager at VVV-Venlo in the Dutch Eredivisie
    • Also, we are supposedly interested in appointing John McGreal at the end of the season.

I guess that it is at least a positive that such rumours are starting as it would indicate that alternatives to Mick are being considered, but not too sure of the validity of either of these rumours, particularly McGreal who is only a couple of years into management and operates under a Director of Football (something we would unlikely put in place here)

2. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I'd love to see somebody like Maurice Steijn at the club. It would be a progressive, forward-thinking appointment and a break from the usual suspects that make up a typical Marcus Evans managerial wishlist. Steijn has done impressive work at VVV Venlo and I believe that they are currently mid-table in the Eredivisie despite recently achieving promotion. There is a risk that he could take to English football like Frank De Boer, coming over with grand ideas but struggling to implement them on a limited squad. However, we should hopefully see an overhaul of the playing squad and a marked change in playing philosophy. The question is, will the casual fan put up with more decent performances but less wins, which could easily be the case.

As for John McGreal, he benefits from being a former Ipswich player, but he hasn't exactly worked wonders with a pretty decent Colchester squad. They missed out on League 2 play offs last season by a point and they're a few points of the play offs so far this season. However, the style of football is quite negative and he's similar to McCarthy in that the result exceeds the performance. The 'anyone but McCarthy brigade' will likely welcome him, but I don't think he'd be a good appointment for the club and we should look elsewhere. Definitely a future candidate with a few more seasons under his belt and ideally a promotion with Colchester.

3. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I get a feeling the deal for the Dutch manager has been in place since the summer. Not sure why we would've kept hold of Mick for so long when it's seemed inevitable that he will go for a while now

4. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I'm not so confident.. I really hope I'm wrong, but I would still be amazed if our next manager isn't British and over 55 with significant Championship experience. Like I said though, these rumours are at least giving the impression of looking at alternatives to Mick in every sense, which would indicate that ME may well have changed his approach.

It would be our first non British (or Irish) manager in the clubs' history but I think he would be welcomed with wide open arms given our historical relationship with Dutch football and our complete lack of anything to get excited about in at least 3 years.

Nuggets likes this.