1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread 2017 Hungarian Grand Prix Chat and Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by EternalMSC, Jul 21, 2017.

?

Who Will be King around the Hungaroring

Poll closed Jul 28, 2017.
  1. Vettel

33.3%
  2. Hamilton

33.3%
  3. Bottas

5.6%
  4. Ricciardo

22.2%
  5. Raikkonen

5.6%
  6. Verstappen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Ocon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Sainz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other: Please State

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I think Stroll will be there as long as they need the money he provides, even if he doesn't get any better., unlike a lot of pay drivers he's not in any danger of losing his backing if he's too crap.

2. Viva_Giggsy

Viva_Giggsy Well-Known Member

I think Stoll done ok. It's not like Hamilton era when you had unlimited testing and went straight into the best team plus Stroll is only 18.

3. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Sorry about that! Officially jinxing drivers in various motorsports for over 40 years now.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  4. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Just a thought, unless Massa has brought backing with him as well, I thought he was effectively Williams only option? If di Resta was available such that he was signed up as a reserve driver, why did they not give him some tests in the winter to see whether him or Massa would have been better off in the seat for the season?

I am surprised that they had the option of a seasoned driver, or be it one that had been our for a couple of years, who could have been evaluated as a possible mutli-season driver, but instead they re-sign one that had already retired and knew he was going to do one more season.

Is that a bit short-sighted of Williams?

5. moreinjuredthanowen

I think they were scared ****less of new regs and no experience as they had made the stroll decision before the bottas move stuff came about.

Di resta could not be a main guy from nowhere. In their opinion?

6. allsaintchris.

They had the opportunity to test him. I just don't see the point in hiring a driver who had already decided to hang up his helmet. Can't see how Massa can be motivated to do well knowing its just another year he has to stay alive in a cockpit.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  7. moreinjuredthanowen

I think it was panic and knew he was safe. I think they also really pushed him out a bit so knew he would drive if asked.

8. moreinjuredthanowen

Like if that car had not failed after the restart massa could even have won

9. SgtBhaji

Still no love for the man (and I don't know if any of you know this) who beat Vettel in F3.

El_Bando likes this.
  10. allsaintchris.

I mentioned it earlier as I thought some may have forgotten this very important piece of information.

It's something we all need to be aware of.

El_Bando and SgtBhaji like this.

11. happyal

happyal Active Member

Lewis seems to be having another one of those weekends, were he's a bit lost. He might pull it out of the bag during the race, so not all lost at the moment.

But does anyone have any ideas why he just seems to not turn up to some of the races this season? I don't remember it happening in previous seasons. My theory is a mix of a couple of things, first I think this years Mercedes is difficult to set up and has a narrow window. The second part, I think, is something Nico said when he retired, that Mercedes will miss his setup input as, according to Nico, he is the one that has developed the Mercedes and he understands the core design philosophy.

I still think there is more too it, as I don't believe that Bottas will be able to drive around problems better that Lewis, so there must be something else going on. Does anyone have any ideas or theories as to why Lewis just doesn't turn up sometimes?

12. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Interesting. I think Lewis is more instinctive, drive by the feel sort of driver. I seem to remember him not being interested in the simulators which I believe help the engineers more than the drivers. So I do wonder how involved in the tecy side of things.
    As you say Nico might well have been the main one who sort of provided early feedback for engineers via simulator and they have now lost that experience.

13. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Hungary highlighting a couple of things:

1) McLaren chassis DEFINITELY good. What a **** power unit though.

2) Alonso and Hulkenberg easily the best two drivers outside of Ferrari/Merc/Red Bull.

Those two deserve to be in seats that can fight for wins and podiums. Hulk been fully on it this year. Renault to be fair seem to have a half decent chassis and that bodes well for them as a works team

As for McLaren, they'd be bang there with Red Bull at the very least with a power unit that wasn't 90HP down every lap

14. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've not got high hopes for a good race tomorrow, things seem a bit two by two at the moment. A messy start (but not a load of dnfs) is what this race needs.

15. SgtBhaji

It has the potential to be a stinker, but sometimes they turn out to be the best races.

16. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

I actually think it might be decent chaps- we've got 6 cars within half a second in quality mode and we know full well that the gap always reduces in the race.

A raw attacking Max V, Danny Ricc looking to get his weekend back on track, and Kimi looking a bit more like it this weekend means I don't think a Vettel or Hamilton win is foregone this weekend.

Someone somewhere will be looking at the early undercut I suspect, and I'd guess the Red Bull guys. Track position crucial here so if the undercut is on then it's worth gambling on going longer on the softs.

17. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

Hydraulic problems for Vettel, nothing major for now but they need to get it sorted pretty quick.

please log in to view this image

18. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

Advantage Red Bull and Ferrari on the tyre front?

19. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

20. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

Just befriend sports mad people and use their Sky Go <whistle>