1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

2017 - End Of Year Report card

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Mr.B, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

I left it too late last year, so I'll get in early this year - give people some thinking time.

As the dust settles on the 2017 season, how about some reflection and some report cards?

I'm thinking "Tell us your Top 3 and your Bottom 3" in the following categories:
    • Team
    • Driver

Your Top 2 and Bottom 2 in the following categories:
    • Performance (could be by a driver, a pit crew, a steward, whatever)
    • Individual (i.e. could be anybody - a team principal, a TV pundit, a car park attendant who greeted everyone with a smile/scowl)...

Also:
    • Your favourite thing about the whole season
    • Your least favourite thing. (Anything you like - it could be a specific thing that happened, or something about a venue, or something else completely.)

And finally...
    • Whatever you want, in your own choice of category, for whatever reason you like

The 'rules'

Teams (top 3, bottom 3)
    Apply whatever criteria you want. Points success? Contribution to the paddock? Anything you like - it's your prerogative. (That's why I'm calling them "Top & Bottom", rather than "Best & Worst".)
    You don't even have to apply the same criteria across them all. You might give top spot to a team because you love seeing an underdog having a go. And you might give second spot to a team because of their engineering excellence...

Drivers (top 3, bottom 3)
    As above, apply whatever criteria you want to. Raw talent? Great hair? Good egg? Your criteria, your call, and feel free to mix your criteria up...

Performance (top 2, bottom 2)
    You get the idea - apply any criteria you like. A fantastic drive? An inspired race strategy? A ridiculous penalty / outrageous application of the rules?

Individuals (top 2, bottom 2)
    A person trying to bring some common sense into the way the sport is run? A person who makes you laugh? A waste of space? Whatever criteria you like.

Favourite thing and least favourite thing
    Yep - whatever criteria you like.

Whatever award you want to give
    Because you might want to mention something that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Basically, you have completely free rein to pick your top & bottom, for your own reasons. If you want to give honorable mentions, go ahead. It will be interesting to see what people come up with.

Let's face it, the only rules more loose than these are for track limits.

2. moreinjuredthanowen

"Tell us your Top 3 and your Bottom 3" in the following categories:
    • Team: Mercedes, Ferrari and red bull (just about) Reasons are obvious I think, red bull were very weak early and disappointing but picked it up.
    • Driver: Hamiton , vettel (just about) and Ricciardo - who got the job done while others didn't
    • Bottom:
    • Team: Williams. Just sigh... Mclaren HONDA, embarrassing. force india for not controlling drivers.
    • Driver: Palmer. sorry just too many silly things, he would get something then just throw it away. kyvat looked disinterested and ericcson

Your Top 2 and Bottom 2 in the following categories:
    • Performance: tops: alonso in wet quali 1 <laugh> stroll getting a podium. Bottom: vettel tyre bashing, HONDA engines
    • Individual: top: alonso on the deck chair by the deck chair sign. Ricciardo getting on poduim form last with that passing move. bottom: stewards being political

Also:
    • Your favourite thing : ricciardo having a go. He's made the difference at times when he could get close between dull enough races and something happening
    • Your least favourite thing. shark fins after having seen really nice looking cars. the closeness of racing has not come with the cars and there is still saving of engines, tyres, fuel etc getting in the way of the show.

And finally...
    • Its a real pity..... that what i just think. This season had epic as its script and for some reason we just didn't get it. There wasn't enough direct racing between hamilton and vettel and then it all went pear shaped. Its been probably a masterclass in quali from hamilton but ferrari have ****ed it and its just taken the edge off what should have been a huge epic battle. I hope next year it will be two 4 times champions fighting for who is THE best for the 5 times world champion title.
    We will see though... mercedes is a team, ferrari could meltdown.

Mr.B and Smithers like this.