1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix Chat and Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by EternalMSC, Jun 14, 2017.

?

Who Will Master the Tight Streets of Baku

Poll closed Jun 24, 2017.
  1. Vettel

23.5%
  2. Hamilton

52.9%
  3. Bottas

17.6%
  4. Raikkonen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Verstappen

5.9%
  7. Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Ocon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Sainz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. OTHER PLEASE STATE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Hmmm... the trouble is Jaques Villeneuve has a lot of form talking ****. As does Bernie.

ched999uk likes this.
  2. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

You can trust the FIA about as much as you can trust the FA. If anyone believe these associations are there for the good of their sport rather than lining their pockets hasn't been paying attention for the last 4 decades.

Smithers and happyal like this.
  3. Big Ern

yeah, but the FIA have been very ambiguous with their wording, (he didn't brake and he didn't lift 'completely') that tells me they know he was playing silly buggers at the front. I could see for myself that he lost a lot of speed, FIA has admitted he did too, going from 80 -54 (which is under pit-lane speed limited, surely too slow?). Cutting your speed by over 1/3rd isn't maintaining a steady pace, but..

The length of the straight from the SC line to the SF line is too long,
    Vettel pulled alongside and, in doing so, lost any high ground he may have had.

Would it be better to scrap the SC and just have a VSC or, if it's worse, a faux red-flag restart?

4. eddie_squidd

Have the FIA released the telemetry? If not, they need to. They made a judgement, whether it can be relied on is a moot point of course, although most pundits and drivers from whom I have seen comments suggested that Lewis did not brake and was entitled to be where he was, doing what he was doing. Additionally, if as we are told by some, Hamilton is perceived as having form for suddenly slowing in this way, you would be rather more circumspect in making sure you weren't going to get caught out by it. You would have to ask yourself what Hamilton would have to gain by risking contact. I think Vettel was caught napping.

The trouble is that what he did next was so appalling that it hardly matters.

ched999uk and cosicave like this.
  5. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Hahaha... Jaques Villeneuve wading in? This really is becoming the stuff of farce!

SgtBhaji likes this.
  6. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

They haven't which is suspicious.

Smithers likes this.
  7. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Why's no one yet mentioned that Perez brake tested Hamilton and Vettel under the safety car? (Lets face it there's the same amount of evidence).

Heck I think ricciardo took a shortcut as well, skipped out half the track. He should be dsq.

8. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

That is a reportable offence. I expect the mods to come down harshly on Happyal and ban him for life from the forum ;)

SgtBhaji likes this.
  9. Big Ern

oh, he was trying to gain a tactical advantage, and it's not his car that would usually get damaged, it's the concertinaing cars behind, I think dropping under pit-lane limit just before a SC start is just too slow. How close was Ocon to Vettel behind, if Vettel had braked earlier would Ocon have driven into the back of him? or would it happen further down the field? Reaction time isn't zero, and there was no brake light warning for Vettel. Hamilton also has form for messing around at the front and causing incidents further down the field because of it, plenty of drivers have complained (not that drivers complaining is new, but even Danny has mentioned it before)

yep, what happened next was extremely stupid, I was quite happy to see both end up penalised, one way or another. I think it also looks a lot worse than it actually was, bumping wheels at 30mph down a straight isn't going to do much damage. I'm not excusing it, but I don't think it warrants a ban or DSQ, it certainly wasn't on Pastor's level of vengeful stupidity. He ended up with a fairly big penalty of 30+seconds which, along with the 3 points on his licence, is probably fair and the end of it, though I wouldn't have too many complaints if they decided to give him a 5 place grid drop as a future warning for stupid behaviour, because it was stupid rather than reckless or dangerous, less a head-butt, more a clip of the heels (though Beckham got sent off for that)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  10. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Bit too busy to wade in fully atm, but I'm not sure why the FIA would want to try favor Mercedes at present. If anything they desperately need an inter-team championship fight and possibly an alternate winner to Merc. I'm not suggesting they'd be lenient on Ferrari to try let that happen, but I highly doubt they'd choose to favor Merc right now.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017

11. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

I would much prefer a Red flag. Remove 5 laps or so and allow the marshalls to clear the track safely and quicker. Less time wasted while they decide what to do while cars buzz past them.

12. Big Ern

I'd like to see them ban carbon fiber wings and side pods, if they just broke or get bent it wouldn't be such a problem, but it's shatters into shards of razors ready to catch the unwary out, or fly up into someones brake cooling vent.

EternalMSC and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  13. SgtBhaji

I'll have to watch again when I have time but I'm pretty sure Vettel got on the throttle momentarily before realizing that Hamilton was still coasting and not accelerating away. I think he just misjudged it.

14. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

im kinda over this nonsense already.

It adds spice to yet another two person title shoot out. Whether Hamilton slowed or not. Vettels reacion was out of order.

It's done, he's probably lucky not to be DQd but he's now on a knife edge anyway for the season remainder.

Just get out and race.

EternalMSC likes this.
  15. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Bored as well. Let them race, enough of this nonsense.

16. SgtBhaji

Naaaaah. Don't be bored. We need points to debate rather than twiddling our thumbs after tedious races. :)

17. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

they also need to be dragged out, the same point made over and over again and then brought up again 3 years later when some minor incident will take place that demands this incident be brought back up again because of some obscure similarity which only the person posting it can fathom.

18. eddie_squidd

Let's face it, this is what we live for.

SgtBhaji and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  19. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

...yeah I never liked piquet either..

Mr.B likes this.
  20. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Nobody ever liked Piquet.

In a sense, he can be blamed for the beginning of unsporting behaviour in motorsport. Prior to him, it was essentially gentlemen and Queensbury Rules.
    Thankfully, his enduring influence over the little Piquet he fathered - which of course found favour with FlaBriattore - eventually got rid of them all.

Piquet, three time WDC? An insult to us all.
    Good riddance.