1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread 2017/18 Premier League, Cups & Euro Watch

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by RogerisontheHunt, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

I disagree

If Pedro had got a pen yesterday for his blatant dive, it would have ruled out.

There's needs to be some simple protocol for it. Make it open and the processes quick and clear. If it is not clear if it is or is not a penalty in a short time, then you stick with the original decision. It has to be clear if a decision is to be overturned though. There have been plenty of instances where this would have benefitted the game.

2. BobbyD

BobbyD President

pedros blatant dive.

How would you rule on calvert lewins or oumar niasses? (i actually think DCLs wasn't but niasses was lol)

3. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

The longer VAR is used the more you will see decisions referred causing contant breaks in the game imo.
    I still hold the view that as so many decisions in football are subjective and VAR will not solve the problem and as for Rugby being a shining light in VAR usage i feel obliged to point out some refs just watch the big screen themselves and don't even wait for the 4th official because
    a) they take too long
    b) or they have no faith in that officials judgement.

4. saintKlopp

I think this is way too simplistic though.
    That is similar to goal-line technology when all that is required is proof of whether or not the ball was over the line.
    That is a world away from deciding on what is a foul or not.
    Establishing contact is simply not enough as often the victim can deliberately initiate the contact himself. It isn't necessarily a foul every time someone falls over, or every time there is contact.
    A ref has to make a judgement based on more complicated matters. Whether or not contact is excessive, whether or not there is intent, etc. These are subjective decisions and will remain subjective - and contentious - no matter who is making the decision and how much technology is at his disposal.
    Also, movement in real time often gives a better impression than a slowed down sequence.
    I think it's best left alone.

Libby, Solid_Air 2 and BobbyD like this.
  5. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

If VAR becomes compulsory and the pitchside telly breaks or the live signal to it fail during a game will the game be abandoned?

:bandit:

6. saintKlopp

Pedro's was one of the crappiest efforts I've seen in a long time. <laugh>

BobbyD likes this.
  7. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Morata<laugh>

8. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

And shameful too. To try such an obvious cheating at home to Norwich shows how low in confidence the players are.

9. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

Remember VAR can use the video in real time too as well as slowed down :bandit:

I honestly cannot believe that the Ref will have a better idea of the true action/offense in whatever circumstances and wherever he is placed. The VAR can look at it in real time, slow motion, fast notion, different angles, who's interfering with play etc etc. Excessive contact or force, dangerous play studs up, pulling the shirt etc surely will be judged better by the VAR than the pitch referee. Not that we are going there at present but we all watching live TV for years have had a clear advantage over the referees in spotting their mistakes. The VAR referee should be even better.

Bumps likes this.
  10. moreinjuredthanowen

I agree. and this IMO is why some refs don't want to know and imo are deliberately avoiding using the system in the FA cup

I think if you mix a couple things.

a) rugby question: any reason i cannot award the try v was the ball grounded. gives two totally different results. some rugby refs are using the statement as a get out to have TMO look at everything. some just want one thing yes or no or can't see.

b) cricket. the umpires call is the big thing. If you are given out on field then the review will look at front foot, then snicko/ hot spot and only then does hawkeye come in and if you were given out the ball would have the be miles off to save you. If on the other hand the decision is not out then if the ball might be hitting they still give out..

Surely football has to realise it can just draw a box when a goal goes in or a pen shout goes up. just blow up and do that then ask a simple question.

Then on the other hand what evidence does var give... no snicko.. no hot spot so all you have is different angles to subjectively look at for evidence of contact with ball or player. Surely if its subjective at best that A ref should see enough or not enough to call the likely outcome i nthe question

any reason to not award this goal/penalty.
    did the player give
    Which player fouled x
    Was an elbow thrown deliberately

simple stuff.

I think the trial is a failure personally and until its mandatory refs will ensure they fail cos the fa will drop a ref right in it no problem if it suits them... they just don't want it.

Bumps likes this.

11. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

^^ this

12. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

Wait till the players start surrounding the ref and asking for a VAR referral .....

Libby and saintKlopp like this.
  13. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Man Utd and Everton competing to see who can waste more money on Arsenal players

14. saintKlopp

And how long is all that going to take?
    It's just not the nature of the game to analyse it to this extent.
    By all means use tech to pick up on off-the ball incidents, sly stuff going on out of the ref's view, but just basically supplanting the man on the pitch with the man in a studio won't alter the subjectivity of it at all, imo. Even now, after everyone looks on telly at every angle people still disagree.
    Everyone in the Beeb studio yesterday disagreed with the refs (real and video) over the Willian incident. This is always going to happen.
    To me it's a vain attempt to try and make "perfect" something which can't be.

15. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

To me it’s about getting more decisions correct than we currently do.
    So far it has got one right and some that a few are debating.
    But the one it got right is good. There will always be decisions that can be debated and that’s okay as no one wants a sterile game -
    But the ones which are absolute travesties should lessen
    Not disappear but reduce. We will still have stuff to discuss - VAR got x wrong is no different to ref got x wrong.
    Accept it not going to be perfect like the current refs aren’t and it will get better.
    Existing refs will resist it but future refs will know no different
    Give it time :)

carlthejackal likes this.
  16. saintKlopp

I don't want to give it time quite honestly, because I don't think it's practicable - except for some of the things I've outlined above.
    Matters of fact yes, but matters of interpretation will remain.
    The major on-field bones of contention in football today are:
    Offside decisions - it's impractical to use for them for all the reasons we've already discussed.
    Diving - it can establish contact, but that in itself doesn't constitute a foul. The decision on that is subjective.
    Handball - again, it might establish the fact - but whether or not it's deliberate is a matter of opinion.

If we really want to improve the game, I'd rather we took serious steps to eradicate the culture of cheating that currently plagues it.

17. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

Totally agree with the last line
    But it won’t happen :(

18. Page_Moss_Kopite

19. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Page_Moss_Kopite likes this.
  20. Page_Moss_Kopite

Where was he when Giggs got unveiled as Wales manager?, <laugh>

But yeah, I said on the transfer thread if Flannagan had have been our best player his job would never be in question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.