1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread 2017/18 Premier League, Cups & Euro Watch

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by RogerisontheHunt, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mighty_stevie_g

mighty_stevie_g Well-Known Member

My main disagreement with you was about the here and now, if players are told to change their behaviour because of this, that and the other then fine.

I wouldn’t agree with it still, might as well forget the linesman altogether and play and review everything - tedious ****

2. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I agree with the here and now. I guess it depends what the players were told, they would have known it was being used.

3. mighty_stevie_g

mighty_stevie_g Well-Known Member

Yep. By all means let someone be watching and give ref instructions (unseen off the ball incidents, things that are blatantly missed that need dealing with).

But **** me, I’m already tired of talking about var and it’s been in about 3 games <laugh>

saintKlopp likes this.
  4. saintKlopp

What happens when they forget to pay the bill and the broadband goes down?

5. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Why wouldn’t the ref blow the whistle when the Lino is flagging though? When does he decide that some he should blow for free kick and some he should let go and then refer back to var

6. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

When bottles making a decision because VAR can do it for him!

7. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

Watching the Chelsea match it was amazing to note how ordinary their team was. Until hazard came on. They were then transformed. If Conte had introduced him early, they would have won comfortably.

It is the same for all the top 6 teams. Which players turn their ordinary team into something special?

Man City: De Bruyn, Silva
    Man United: Pogba
    LFC: Salah (and Coutinho but he's gone)
    Chelsea: Hazard
    Spurs: Kane
    Arsenal: Sanchez but he's been absent most matches both mentally and physically. And he is leaving anyway.

City have more of these players than anyone else. I would contend that without these players any of the top teams are nothing special and can be beaten or at least contained by many of the rest, especially away.

8. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

Diving ****s at Chelsea.......Pedro and Morata .....embarrassing <doh>

carlthejackal likes this.
  9. moreinjuredthanowen

and willian :)

organic red likes this.
  10. carlthejackal

Indeed! embarrassing to resort to these "tactics" at home to overcome a so called lower inferior team.

11. moreinjuredthanowen

TBH its amazing how ordinary someone at chelsea is trying to make them. drinkwater, barkely, carroll.. I think morata has a lot more class than he's showning so far. he's got to adapt mentally.

Man city you could add aguero, ederson, and maybe gundogan if he stays fit to that list

Utd: Bailly seems so injury prone but him, de gea and pogba do separate a pile of averageness from the rest. rashfrd mightmake this list but i don't think mourinho wants him.

Spurs are eriksen, kane and alderweireld.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  12. carlthejackal

I wouldn't dispute your list of players who are the key players of their teams. But I was referring to players with that stardust quality and whose presence may mean the difference between a draw and a win against any team (lower ranked or not)? I should probably have included De Gea and Aguero as moments of magic from them could turn a match. Sane is turning into an incredible player. Why did Chelsea get Drinkwater instead of Mahrez? His greater water carrying capacity? In terms of talent there doesn't seem to be any comparison.

13. moreinjuredthanowen

I have no idea what chelsea are at. conte wants grunts to control games and out-mourinho mourinho?

14. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Chelsea need home grown players

15. moreinjuredthanowen

maybe.

Seems a totally **** way to go get them.

surely the 4 or 5 young lads they have at u23 level are good enough to not be dragging ****e like barkely into their club on big wages.

16. moreinjuredthanowen

for what I can tell of this VAR

a) the system is flawed in approach as theres a deep rooted desire to put the ref in total charge

b) some refs are resistant to the change totally and some are embracing it and using it. Like... last night.. the ref really should have gone VAR without even offering a deicison on the field got a quick answer off the video and just relayed it to the teams. Why have the ref on pitch have to go look at a screen when you've someone to do it for him and make the call. its ridiculous.

17. carlthejackal

For me, the refs/FA are using VAR the wrong way. Totally to how Rugby is using TV replays.

Rugby is using TV to get absolutely the right decision: did the try occur? Did the foot touch the sideline before grounding occurred? The referee has no subjective view and whatever the evidence shows and the video ref decides goes.

In football, The FA /refs seem to have a different principle. The match/pitch referee has total power and all decisions are down to him. He makes the decision first then listens to the video ref. And the video referee's task seems to be to assess whether the already made decision of the referee can be justified. Not whether the actual offence took place. Which is completely the wrong way to use it. It will make situations worse if that's the case. Willian was fouled. Whether he was theatrical or went a bit further or fell early is beside the point. Did the defender commit a foul? If Yes it is a pen.

Bumps likes this.
  18. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

if VAR is to work, they need to weave it into the game, give viewers visibility to what is being asked of the VAR and set the boundaries and processes properly - yesterday, it just looked like the ref didn't really have a clue how to use the technology properly and because it's a closed loop communication, nobody has a clue what was said.

Personally, I'm all for it if it stops cheating.

19. BobbyD

BobbyD President

they should just not use VAR for penalty decisions or things that are subjective especially if it's another ref whos viewing it all imo.

It will be annoying but that **** isn't black or white as seen yesterday by the Willian decision.

It really should just be used for the wrong person getting carded or for offside decisions in my opinion. This is the stuff that is black or white. Maybe even for where a foul ocurred (in area or out)

InBiscanWeTrust likes this.
  20. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

Is it possible to give a pen and book for a dive also ?
    I know initially that sounds stupid but think about it someone gets fouled and a free kick is awarded we still can card for retaliation.
    To me that would have been correct last night, he got fouled but made the most of it
    Think there are many occasions where this could be the correct action

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.