1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread 2017/18 Premier League, Cups & Euro Watch

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by RogerisontheHunt, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

They'll be even happier when we get another H&G. Even a Moore & Parry comjo #shortmemories

saintKlopp likes this.
  2. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

<laugh>

Of course, but based on the money they're making off the club's back they're pricing themselves out of the selling game, but we're lumbered with owners that are watching big clubs get bigger with new stadiums etc while we have to stagnate unless we the supporters pay more for seats to pay for the improvements.<grr>

3. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

They've already fulfilled the promise to improved the stadium. Stadium capacity isn't a major financial card like it used to be so why cripple the club to increase further?

I'd rather have the current tight budget that sees us sustain ourselves than the buy to sell to pay for H&G way of life!

Obviously, I'd like to see more success too

saintKlopp likes this.
  4. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

I can understand people thinking that FSG aren't doing enough to back up their claims they really want to compete with the likes of City, United Chelsea etc..i just don't personally think they've ever lied about their approach unless you count lying to themselves at how likely that approach can actually succeed or have realised it since but won't admit it publicly that we have to settle for the small chance it'll work in current enviroment.

Either real offers are being made and FSG IMO are allowed to name their price or no offers are being made so I can't get angry about imaginary sugar daddy solutions.

saintKlopp and Zanjinho like this.
  5. Page_Moss_Kopite

They got the club at a low price with agreements, one was to build a new stadium OR to fully upgrade our current ground, building the big stand doesn't fulfil the agreement, matchday revenue was the main reason they re-built the main stand.

jenners04 likes this.
  6. DirtyFrank

Not disputing you but what was the exact wording of the agreement that suggests they haven't fulfilled it? Was it put in specific detail what "fully upgrading the current ground" meant and was their a set timetable for it to be done?

7. Page_Moss_Kopite

Their "approach" won't work in the Premier League, they have to keep up in every aspect possible or LFC falls further behind, it's like if theyre happy to make money and not win trophies consistently they found the perfect niche.

8. Page_Moss_Kopite

Not word for word, they said they could have built a new stadium but they liked their Fenway Park upgrade so much they said they'd do similar at LFC, but looking at Fenway Park there's more than one side of the place upgraded.

9. moreinjuredthanowen

the main stand is 50% premium tickets in the expansion and day are publically quiet about it but the usual leaks point to them being delighted with it as it was supposed to pay back in 4 years but was 25% ahead of schedule in the first 12 months so a 3 year payback was expected.

sure let the gay out of the bag on the Anfield road end and nobody should expect it to be done.

it would be cheap at 70mil to add the seats and please the fans. fsg won't be doing it.

the 2019 extension to permission based on minor alterations was their way to push it down the road enough.

lfc have consistent did sustaining spend on transfers as well.

day stabilised the club finances and said off you go really. they are in for about 400mil but half that is loans off will pay back so its more about market access than anything

I sincerely doubt they got offered 1.4bil cos if they did they would have sold.

I'm actually surprised they've not tried a flotation of shares

Page_Moss_Kopite likes this.
  10. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

The dividends would have to be spread around too many then :bandit:

11. DirtyFrank

I agree and as fans we can't be happy with that realisation but when FSG took over their model was based on FFP etc actually working ... naive? Certainly but it doesn't mean they lied to us and I see no evidence they did.

Again as fans we might disagree but FSG could argue they have kept us competitive based on the modern era. We've been in and out of European Places, in domestic and European Cup finals, winning one and competed for the league at least once in their tenure....all on their approach.

They've taken the stadium from 9/10th in capacity to 6th and updated other infrastructure. All from a very dodgey starting state of the club.

In the absence of an actual alternative rather than an imaginary wish of the city type sugar daddy how can we accuse them of doing anything wrong in terms of what they have stated they would do?

By all means if there's a sugar daddy out there that is publicly stating that they will pay over 1.5b valuation plus do the rest of the stadium without passing cost onto the fans and spend city type money on transfers every year.....ill take an interested look.

12. Page_Moss_Kopite

<laugh>

Frank, I respect your view and that of others that are satisfied with what they've done since their arrival but as you know there's a growing number that aren't satisfied, only time will tell and if they end up taking us to bigger and better things I'll hold my hand up. but I'm the meantime I won't hold my breath.

13. DirtyFrank

Sorry you misunderstand me. As a fan of course I'm not satisfied with our actual competitiveness with the other big clubs on the pitch.

I'm just saying FSG haven't done anything other than what they stated they would do.

They said they wouldn't gamble in the transfer market and would operate within the clubs means.

They said they would take a look at all stadium options and pick the one that made financial sense.

They said they'd update us commercially.

I can only criticise them for being over confident that their approach would buck the PL trend. I can't say they promised things and then did the opposite.

I can't compare them negatively with an imaginary owner that will give us our 2 billion costing wishlist when I've seen no evidence that prospective owner exists.

So all I can do is compare them to the previous owners who did exist and nearly killed us.

Doesn't mean I will ever be happy to play 2nd fiddle or worse to the clubs i named.

I'm just not going to hate FSG for doing pretty much everything they said they'd do as there's no alternative.

14. Mr Beej

Mr Beej Well-Known Member

It isn't entirely their fault that FIFA/EUFA whoever turned out to be totally dysfunctional and corrupt (allegedly) so that FFP has never really worked as FSG thought/hoped it would. Maybe it is unworkable.
    I don't think even FSG have the financial clout to compete with clubs owned by oil rich sovereign countries. If that's the way football wants to be at the highest level so be it but there can't be that many oil rich countries left for us to hitch our wagon to.

15. Page_Moss_Kopite

They have always said the club will live within its means, but the club they bought for £220m is now worth over a billion, surely our "means" should have increased along with the increased income.

They are very stubborn and seem happy with the way things are, but not winning trophies is not what the club is about.

DirtyFrank likes this.
  16. Page_Moss_Kopite

Yep, one of if not the last one has bought Newcastle.<laugh>

17. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

18. saintKlopp

Have I missed something - aren't they supposed to have been bought for £300m?
    If that's true then what are we complaining about? LFC is worth 4 times that much, so if that's what they're paying where's the evidence that they would make us any sort of reasonable offer - and the guarantee that they would invest more, and do a better job than, FSG?

19. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I can envision the conversation in the Arab board room..........
    Liverpool turned down £1.5B
    Is there anyone else?
    We could probably get Newcastle for about £300m
    **** it, buy them and spend the rest on getting a team together then all we have to do is top it up every year.

:grin:

20. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

And we now have a manager who has won at the top level and at least competed in Europe. Slowly but surely, we’re raising our standards which dropped significantly since Rafa left. Klopps biggest battle when he first came was to get the fans on board and united because it was toxic after Rodgers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.