1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread 2017/18 Premier League, Cups & Euro Watch

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by RogerisontheHunt, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

A lot of it is the group mentality, you're seen as safe when part of a crowd.

What makes me laugh is the taking on of 'put downs' by those who probably don't know where they came from or why.

jenners04 and Page_Moss_Kopite like this.
  2. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

That's interesting.

In anthropological terms, the chinese people are shorter and thinner than north europeans. If this is stated, it is racist? have I just typed a racist statement? I might have made a racial statement but that surely is not racist. Note that in normal everyday parlance racist is used as a negative.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Tobes likes this.
  3. johnsonsbaby

Unfortunately you're wrong mate. And it's got nothing to do with 'what's worse'. As I said we have come to know the term racist only in a negative way but you're a racist the minute you group together a race and make any generalisation about the group. Similarly a sexist isn't someone who speaks in derogative terms about the other sex. Saying women are better than men at sewing, for example, is a sexist comment. Even if it's true or seen as a simple statement of fact, it's sexist.

Page_Moss_Kopite likes this.
  4. johnsonsbaby

This is true. Not all Chinese people are thin and short or thinner and shorter than Northern Europeans so that statement is a generalisation and racist.

please log in to view this image

Yao Ming [man on left] is Chinese. The man in the centre [Dwight Howard] is 7 feet tall.

5. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

The term racist only has a negative connotation though, and the definition that you've applied to the term is not the one that is the accepted one in mainstream society. So I'd say that the definition that you've been taught is the correct one, simply isn't.

6. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Dont agree.

The definition of racist is its derogatory. If the statement isn't derogatory then it's not racist.

Tobes likes this.
  7. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

You see. I did not say that a chinese cannot be tall or a north European cannot be short. That would be absurd.

If we could measure all the chinese people and all the north european people then we will find that the average height of the chinese people will be less than that of the north European. How can making such a statement about these groups be racist despite being factually correct?

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  8. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

It's a fact that Chinese men are generally shorter than Western men though.

The average height for a male in China is 3 1/2" shorter than in the US.

So whilst it's a generalisation, it's a generalisation that has a basis in fact. It's not racist to describe a factual trait, unless it's done so in a derogatory manner that is intended to offend.

9. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Its true folks, in England i am just a little manlet. When i go to Hong Kong i feel like a mans man and i can even get a tank top out without feeling less of a man

10. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Isn't it true that Asian men have been getting taller on average in the last couple of generations due to improved nutrition and public health. I know studies have shown that to be the case for world populations over the last 100 years but it's been more prominent in Asian populations...maybe because they had more room to grow so to speak lol.

Unfortunately with the introduction of western foods they've been getting fatter too like westerners lol

11. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I think in general doesn't the population just grow taller? I know i'm taller than my parents and for others its generally true. Can say i've ever looked at facts myself.

As for chinese people getting fat, i'm not sure if thats because of the food but more that there is more food available. You always hear stories from my parents about how there was always a lack of food back in the day (war + poverty) and nowadays everyone has enough food.

I tend to find in hong kong, either people are skinny and scrawny or really fat. There are far less people who are i guess a medium build (there are those too). Especially amongst females as there is an obssession to being skinny, and those who aren't tend to go extreme the other way in my view.

12. DirtyFrank

Went and looked it up in case I was talking bollox lol. Royal College London apparently did a study from 1914 to 2014 world populations.

Asians have grown the fastest over that period with Korean Woman the fastest? Weird lol. Swedish Men are tallest now. They've put forward better diet...as you say probably less malnutrition etc.

Apparently Yanks have stagnated, once the 3rd tallest in world averages down to 40th!

13. moreinjuredthanowen

Yeah but dutch guys are taller than french guys...

We ain't organising an army for a pitched battle here

14. johnsonsbaby

You're both wrong but I'm not going to turn this into an academic discussion as there's no point. Having studied racism doesn't make my opinion any more valid than either of yours however, the fact is racism can be both positive and negative and you can't argue with that. I'm sure you will though <laugh>

jenners04 likes this.
  15. DirtyFrank

Keeping a tie to sports I wonder if western pro sports will influence it too. If you can make a lot of money doing a sport where you're tall and powerful it becomes culturally desirable....tall people are then more attractive etc....im sure there's been social anthropology studies on it all...lol

16. DirtyFrank

Are you talking about keeping cultural/racial lines strong from a minority groups point in a majority country as a positive etc?

Say a big argument within the black community in US that black men should aspire to date and marry black women rather than once they become a success date white women? I always found this an interesting concept...its the same racist theory of white supremacists but from a survival perspective in a community forceably made a minority culture rather than the idea of making an entire society racially pure.

17. johnsonsbaby

I know you didn't and I didn't say you did mate. The simple fact is if you say 'the average height of Chinese people ...' that isn't racist, as you say it's just a fact. The problem occurs when generalisations about a race are made and typically those generalisations are along the lines of .... 'all black men have huge ...' 'all Chinese men are small and skinny' 'white men can't jump '. Using a race and a generalisation about that race is racist whether it's good or bad. Look no further than the reason we are talking about it at all - the Lukaku chant. As others have pointed out, what the chant is saying isn't derogatory at all yet it's come with a 'racism' headline - go figure <laugh>

18. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

hahaha, I'm average height, never been to China but went to what's probably the nearest thing in the West the other year, Chinatown in San Francisco. I felt like a giant walking round there ffs <laugh>

19. johnsonsbaby

Things get said like .. 'he's the best black author of his day ...' - the minute you use 'black' you.ve made it about race. He's one of the best authors of his day' is more appropriate. The original statement is in praise of a great author yet is still racist. Other positive racial stereotypes - Chinese boys are great at maths, black kids are best athletes.

jenners04 and DirtyFrank like this.
  20. saintKlopp

please log in to view this image

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.