1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

1966 final on TV/PC

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Klopp's Mannschaft, May 30, 2014.

1. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

2. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

First half over, exciting end to end, but awful skill level. Constant miss passes, loses of possession and hoofball. Can't believe how many of these are voted into the best of all time lists <doh>

3. saintKlopp

Get rid now.

4. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

Big Ron Yeats or any other Liverpool defender from 66 were better than the late Bobby Moore and Hurst wasn't the best attacker/forward in England at the time, there was Nobby from Utd who was a clogger...and the list goes on, but they won the thing and deserve credit but not the selective knighthood given to only one player, if one was knighted they all should have been.

So much hype and exaggeration after all these years.<laugh>

5. Livtor

Livtor Active Member

Agree. Football has improved immensely since then (and that is not an inevitability). I watch old videos sometimes and like you - I'm not too impressed by neither technique, tactics nor athleticism.

Maradona was the usher to the modern game, and came 10 years earlier than the rest. From the 90s onwards, perhaps in part due to the Bosman ruling, I see similar, if not better, competition and quality to today's football.

Some nostalgics will make excuses for their Peles, Bests and Charltons - but I'm not impressed. In any sport, as in any field, there are geniuses that transcend time and have a unfadeable golden gloss, like Maradona, R9naldo, Rod Laver, Michael Jordan, etc. They impress in all dimensions and from any viewing angle and don't need excuses made for them.