1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

19/20 league 1 preview

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Hampy says we're down so that's enough for me.

No idea what odds the bookies will give on us next season so no idea how we'll do.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

4. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Shamone!!

5. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I'd like to think we could manage a mid-table spot.

Westlake33 likes this.
  6. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Seriously, how heartbreaking will it be if we went down to the 3rd division!!! It's bad enough being stuck in the championship for 73 consecutive years, but the thought of playing in 1st rd of the FA Cup (might get to win a game), playing in the Johnstone's Paint trophy, seeing how we're doing against the likes of Walsall, Rochdale and Fleetwood - it's unimaginable, it really is.

I genuinely don't know what i'd do on a Saturday afternoon if we went down, i don't think i'd bear to hear the results....I have nightmares at the moment, about us pulling off a result and beating Shrewsbury.

Please Mr Lambert, help save our club!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I would still prefer this to being stuck in the Championship for 73 consecutive years with Mick McCarthy.

You can’t make an omelette without breaking eggs.

I’m genuinely not arsed about the 50/60 years above the third tier. It’s the years in the top flight / European football / winning trophies that really matter. I don’t care if it’s Walsall we’re playing in League One or Rotherham in the Championship. What’s the difference? If this helps shake things up and get us back where we belong then it’s a positive.

It’s embarrasing to be at the bottom with Norwich at the top but that won’t last for long so it doesn’t matter in the long run.

8. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Relegation will be catastrophic for the Club, people assume we would keep our current squad so should do well in a lower league, this is nonsense, anyone who could command a fee would be sold, anyone with ambition would want away, loans wouldnt want to come here, the income would be slashed from the league and Evans wouldn't be able to rip people off with exorbitant admission prices for LG 1football, season tickets would plummet as would advertising revenue.
    All in all its too frightening to think about but perhaps it would encourage Evans to sell up, so there would be a slight possibility of ambitious new owners coming in and stop the slow strangulation of the Club from the inside.

Nuggets and San Diego like this.
  9. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

It MIGHT be a good thing you never know.

We went down, won the title, then finished as runners-up in the Championship and who was our Manager at the time ?

10. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I think the main difference between that Norwich City side of 2009/10 and this Ipswich Town of 2018/19 is the ownership of our respective clubs.

I realise Delia and your board are not currently at their most popular standing, but they have a history of investment, a forward-thinking perspective with regards to the academy, and a passion and close links to the community that Marcus Evans has never really had here. While your ownership generally takes measures and initiatives to ensure your attendance remains consistently high, even when you went down to division three, Evans seems quite content and laissez-fare to watch attendances decline over the past several years. If we were to get relegated, I honestly believe we’d lose what little quality remains in this squad and I also wouldn’t be surprised to see the price of season tickets freeze, rather than decrease.

We’ve had this relegation debate several times before lately (a sign of the times) but while I think we would get promoted back to the Championship, eventually, I’d be surprised if we managed an instant promotion.

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

The Norwich board have a history of investing a little and getting things right up to a point and then failing to build on it, take a risk and invest enough to compete in the top flight.

12. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

I just saw the announcement re: tickets for school kids. That's an excellent call by your lot (and in fairness should have been organised years ago). Norwich did it a while ago and it definitely introduced new long term supporters. If you've got empty seats what's to lose? When NCFC dropped to Lg1 the attendances remained up there and obviously it was the start of a good period for us. Plenty of time till May but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it did happen.

Nuggets likes this.