1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

16 Football rules that drive us mad and must be changed.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

Can anyone clarify the rules regarding throw ins?

fatletiss likes this.
  2. ElliotMP

ElliotMP Well-Known Member

As long as the ball is in your hand's you're good to go, regardless if it is a throw in or not.

3. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

4. Libby

Libby 9-0

fatletiss likes this.
  5. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Perhaps I should have used blue ink....:)

At least one person got my drift!

Libby likes this.
  6. Libby

Libby 9-0

Thought so! It made me laugh, I didn't clock it from Qwertys post though.

Was so tedious though <yikes> Can you remember what game it was?

7. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

No idea.

8. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Watford. Made me realise how lucky football is to have dedicated infallible geniuses like Tom to referee.

Vin

9. Libby

Libby 9-0

Found it. I've just been and liked some posts from there :biggrin:

The debate went on for about 8/9 pages <laugh>

10. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Funnily enough I thought about it during the Burnley game. One of their players took a throw close to our goal line with his foot half over the line to a seething roar of indignation from the crowd in line with it in the Northam. I might have mentioned it but I didn't want to open up old wounds.

Vin

11. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I think about it every game thanks to the annoying bloke sitting next to me saying “foul throw” EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Onionman likes this.
  12. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Unless if you are a Saints striker at the moment....

13. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

One rule that annoys me is that when a ref/Lino makes a monumental mistake aka our disallowed goal in the final....then never has to apologise or explain why they come up with their decision.......grips my **** that one.

14. Mysterdee

Mysterdee Member

More than anything, inconsistent application of any of the rules turns me into Malcom 'McSweary' Tucker.

I know it goes both ways, but (possibly wearing my Saints-coloured specs) the inconsistency goes against us, rather than for us. Hate it when it happens in a game where I'm watching as a neutral too.

But of those 16...like others it has to be time wasting, and the fact that it rarely gets punished. Also, players getting booked for taking their shirts off for a celebration seems over the top. I get that this could be considered time wasting itself, which completely contradicts my other choice, so perhaps I shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion...:smile:

15. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

We had this at the weekend at my Saturday team. I maintain that it is virtually impossible to take a short throw without it being a foul throw, gets blown up for 5/6 times a game at my level but in the PL/FL almost every throw in is a foul throw but never gets called. Our 2 fullbacks asked the ref pre game this weekend what he would and wouldn't be calling and they did a demonstration of short throw, basically limp wristing it from behind their head (something that has been called a foul throw 100s of times before) and the ref and linos were like "yeah that's cool, we only look at your feet to see if they are on the ground" :D ****ing inconsitent pricks.

This was the same ref who when I got a foul given against me twice for the opponent backing in to me and I asked/shouted at him what can I do? He said "well you just have to let him" :D

16. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Throw ins should have a set time limit like the goalkeeper 6 second rule. The linesman should have a foam spray to mark where the throw should be from rather than 30 seconds of "inching" up the touchline and the throw taken 10 yards further forward.

Offsides or fouls should be from where the linesman is still standing and keepers (or players) should be warned about picking it up and spinning it forward another 5 yards, sometimes several times gaining 10 yards.

The goalie 6 second rule should be enforced.

Handball should only be deliberate and not if you accidentally are in the way of the ball but stopped a goal chance. Not helped by modern crowds that collectively shout "handball" everytime a ball hits a player.

Moaning about time wasting is pointless. Crowds only seem to do it if the result is not going their way and do it more towards the end of the match. Ref should just add the time on and ignore the calls.

ALL shirt pulling should be penalised. In the box, out of the box, attacking team or defending team.

Good but hard tackles should not be yellows unless they are quite obviously dangerous. It isn't enough to say it was a hard tackle and could have hurt someone. If it was obviously intending to get the ball, did get the ball and a player gets hurt from it that is just the game. It is a contact sport.

Players surrounding referees should be warned once and yellowed if they keep repeating the offence.

Referees should have pressure taken off them by video evidence being able to overturn incorrect decisions if necessary. People make mistakes. It makes it worse when the system states it can only correct things the referee did not see or report.

And while we moan about Premier league refs I can tell you that the Prem has the best in the country. If you watched National League or League 2 gamesregularly you would realise that the Premier League referees are exceptional in comparison. Yes you might say that is comparing a Lada to a VW and saying the VW is a Ferrari but the difference is vast.

If you watched a lot of lower league refereeing you would be cursing. They are swayed heavily by crowds. Some homers every time, others that try to compensate by going the other way and not giving the home team anything. One major problem in the lower leagues is that the ref/linesmen combo are not as "together" as in the Prem and one linesman having a bad day makes the ref (refereeing team) look bad. Many of the linesman in the lower leagues seem to guess offsides, some flag for anybody offside. Some wait for the ref to signal throw in directions before they flag. Some wave for fouls then change their mind if the ref doesn't see them flag or doesn't agree.

Last season in the FA Trophy semi-final second leg. 1-1 in the first leg. 1-1 in the second leg. In extra time at Sincil Bank to see who gets to the final. A few minutes left. A York player on the edge of the box about to shoot. Lincoln defender charges out to block and ends up low to the ground. Shot is fired 3 or 4 yards from the Lincoln player at pace. Hits his chest/midriff which is now about 2 ft from the ground. I was in direct line with that shot. The linesman had a good view and didn't flag. The York players and management surround the ref. The ref went over to the linesman for a chat. The linesman (just in front of me) clearly said to the ref. No it hit his chest. You could see him shaking his head to say it was not handball. Ref disagreed and gave a penalty. Linesman was still shaking his head at the decision because he knows he is going to get some heat as well from that decision. York score and go to Wembley as there is now 2 minutes left.

There are masses of pushes and shoves in the lower leagues that are never penalised in the penalty area. If you're a big guy like Matt Rhead you will get next to no decisions on pushes or shirt pulling. If you are a little guy you can back into the defender and get most of the decisions as you fall over just like you planned.

Be thankful for the Premier League referees. They are quite literally in a different league to the lower leagues.

Lincoln City average ratings for home refs this season (out of 10) These are in order of rating not that they have been getting better or worse. Some have been truly awful and I should add that the "ref rating" is really based on the ref performance including his linesmen. However in the end he is the one making the final decisions. We've had Sebastian Stockbridge twice and his aggregate rating is still 2.56!!! At least he (or his team) are consistently bad:

Trevor Kettle 8.38
    Carl Boyeson 7.08
    Kevin Johnson 6.39
    Scott Oldham 6.21
    Eddie Ilderton 6.16
    Craig Hicks 6.08
    Tom Neild 5.93
    Gavin Ward 5.41
    John Brooks 4.94
    Graham Salisbury 4.81
    Robert Jones 4.71
    Graham Horwood 4.4
    Darren Handley 3.69
    Anthony Backhouse 3.61
    Sebastian Stockbridge (2) 2.56
    Chris Sarginson 2.06

And no it isn't low ratings when we lose and high ones when we win. We lost to Wimbledon in the FA cup on Saturday and Andy Woolmer (not on the list) averaged just over 7. Several of those higher marks were for refs in losing or drawing games. Some of the shockers were for wins.

Saying that, the level seems to be the same across the league when it comes to the ability to see if a ball has fully crossed the line for a corner/throw in. There are so many decisions given when the ball is touching the line or not even half over the line it is unbelievable. If they could be trained a bit more on the fact the whole ball has to clear the line and not just a bit of it, nor just the bit making contact with the line.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    garysfc likes this.
  17. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

^ that is an outrageously long post. If someone reads it can they let me know what it says please? :)

18. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Sure:
    “Throw ins should have a set time limit like the goalkeeper 6 second rule. The linesman should have a foam spray to mark where the throw should be from rather than 30 seconds of "inching" up the touchline and the throw taken 10 yards further forward.

Offsides or fouls should be from where the linesman is still standing and keepers (or players) should be warned about picking it up and spinning it forward another 5 yards, sometimes several times gaining 10 yards.

The goalie 6 second rule should be enforced.

Handball should only be deliberate and not if you accidentally are in the way of the ball but stopped a goal chance. Not helped by modern crowds that collectively shout "handball" everytime a ball hits a player.

Moaning about time wasting is pointless. Crowds only seem to do it if the result is not going their way and do it more towards the end of the match. Ref should just add the time on and ignore the calls.

ALL shirt pulling should be penalised. In the box, out of the box, attacking team or defending team.

Good but hard tackles should not be yellows unless they are quite obviously dangerous. It isn't enough to say it was a hard tackle and could have hurtsomeone. If it was obviously intending to get the ball, did get the ball and a player gets hurt from it that is just the game. It is a contact sport.

Players surrounding referees should be warned once and yellowed if they keep repeating the offence.

Referees should have pressure taken off them by video evidence being able to overturn incorrect decisions if necessary. People make mistakes. It makes it worse when the system states it can only correct things the referee did not see or report.

And while we moan about Premier league refs I can tell you that the Prem has the best in the country. If you watched National League or League 2 gamesregularly you would realise that the Premier League referees are exceptional in comparison. Yes you might say that is comparing a Lada to a VW and saying the VW is a Ferrari but the difference is vast.

If you watched a lot of lower league refereeing you would be cursing. They are swayed heavily by crowds. Some homers every time, others that try to compensate by going the other way and not giving the home team anything. One major problem in the lower leagues is that the ref/linesmen combo are not as "together" as in the Prem and one linesman having a bad day makes the ref (refereeing team) look bad. Many of the linesman in the lower leagues seem to guess offsides, some flag for anybody offside. Some wait for the ref to signal throw in directions before they flag. Some wave for fouls then change their mind if the ref doesn't see them flag or doesn't agree.

Last season in the FA Trophy semi-final second leg. 1-1 in the first leg. 1-1 in the second leg. In extra time at Sincil Bank to see who gets to the final. A few minutes left. A York player on the edge of the box about to shoot. Lincoln defender charges out to block and ends up low to the ground. Shot is fired 3 or 4 yards from the Lincoln player at pace. Hits his chest/midriff which is now about 2 ft from the ground. I was in direct line with that shot. The linesman had a good view and didn't flag. The York players and management surround the ref. The ref went over to the linesman for a chat. The linesman (just in front of me) clearly said to the ref. No it hit his chest. You could see him shaking his head to say it was not handball. Ref disagreed and gave a penalty. Linesman was still shaking his head at the decision because he knows he is going to get some heat as well from that decision. York score and go to Wembley as there is now 2 minutes left.

There are masses of pushes and shoves in the lower leagues that are never penalised in the penalty area. If you're a big guy like Matt Rhead you will get next to no decisions on pushes or shirt pulling. If you are a little guy you can back into the defender and get most of the decisions as you fall over just like you planned.

Be thankful for the Premier League referees. They are quite literally in a different league to the lower leagues.

Lincoln City average ratings for home refs this season (out of 10) These are in order of rating not that they have been getting better or worse. Some have been truly awful and I should add that the "ref rating" is really based on the ref performance including his linesmen. However in the end he is the one making the final decisions. We've had Sebastian Stockbridge twice and his aggregate rating is still 2.56!!! At least he (or his team) are consistently bad:

Trevor Kettle 8.38
    Carl Boyeson 7.08
    Kevin Johnson 6.39
    Scott Oldham 6.21
    Eddie Ilderton 6.16
    Craig Hicks 6.08
    Tom Neild 5.93
    Gavin Ward 5.41
    John Brooks 4.94
    Graham Salisbury 4.81
    Robert Jones 4.71
    Graham Horwood 4.4
    Darren Handley 3.69
    Anthony Backhouse 3.61
    Sebastian Stockbridge (2) 2.56
    Chris Sarginson 2.06

And no it isn't low ratings when we lose and high ones when we win. We lostto Wimbledon in the FA cup on Saturday and Andy Woolmer (not on the list) averaged just over 7. Several of those higher marks were for refs in losing or drawing games. Some of the shockers were for wins.

Saying that, the level seems to be the same across the league when it comesto the ability to see if a ball has fully crossed the line for a corner/throw in. There are so many decisions given when the ball is touching the line or not even half over the line it is unbelievable. If they could be trained a bit moreon the fact the whole ball has to clear the line and not just a bit of it, nor just the bit making contact with the line.”

19. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

My point was that PL refs are much better than the lower league ones by a big margin. Stop moaning so much. It's more the players than the refs spoiling PL games.

20. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

This only counts if you typed Every word.

From memory.<laugh>

ChilcoSaint likes this.